Native SMS App - Special Characters

Diogo Costa

Members
May 30, 2014
I'd like to activate the native SMS app's support for special characters, as it seem to, each time I use a special character (like á, ã or similar), it takes up a lot of "character space" (from the 160 each SMS has).

Does anyone know how can this be done? Thanks in advance.

it's a normal behaviour of standard GSM SMS
The extended charset took 2 (or three?) chars for every single char digited.
you cannot do nothing about this

From my understanding, sometimes you actually see the special characters but, when they're sent, they're transformed to regular characters in order to save space (for example, "não" becomes "nao" - this happened with my old Nokia N73). And I think that some apps, like Go SMS Pro, do this. I'd like to do this with the native app.

Nope, modern phone can handle extended GSM alphabet, so they will ne sended and near 100% rightly deployed

Not that it is my case, as I have free SMSs for everyone in my country but, if I didn't, wouldn't it be really bad to pay for 3 or 4 SMSs due to the use of these characters when I just wanted to say something short?

Not that it is my case, as I have free SMSs for everyone in my country but, if I didn't, wouldn't it be really bad to pay for 3 or 4 SMSs due to the use of these characters when I just wanted to say something short?
Use Go SMS PRO or Handcent to send your SMS message, but you may only use the 1st SIM card, not the 2nd SIM. You have to set the proper settings in Go SMS PRO or Handcent to select you regional/country settings

Last edited:
Use Go SMS PRO or Handcent to send your SMS message, but you may only use the 1st SIM card, not the 2nd SIM. You have to set the proper settings in Go SMS PRO or Handcent to select you regional/country settings
That is a way out, yes. The setback, though, is that I can't seem to "silence" the native SMS app when using a third-party SMS app.

Just set everything off in Miu SMS app. Changing the default sms app is not enough. When it's done handcent will work including the smilies