root mipad without vroot

jauling

Members
Jun 4, 2013
is it possible to root the newer mipad roms without vroot? ive heard on xda that vroot is potential malware/adware, and im worried to use it.

the last rom i used doesnt seem to support the update.zip method, or maybe it needs to be refreshed? nfi.

is it possible to root the newer mipad roms without vroot? ive heard on xda that vroot is potential malware/adware, and im worried to use it.

the last rom i used doesnt seem to support the update.zip method, or maybe it needs to be refreshed? nfi.
I had a problem with last ROM and update.zip method, superSU said he was unable to find and install binaries.
Got it fixed by flashing supersu zip from xda, hope it will help.

I had a problem with last ROM and update.zip method, superSU said he was unable to find and install binaries.
Got it fixed by flashing supersu zip from xda, hope it will help.
Thanks @Burnarz ! Do you mind linking me to the exact xda thread?

I tried taking the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip, renaming to update.zip, and trying to use MiRecovery against it. Didnt seem to work a few days ago when I tried this, I'll try again tonight.

I compared the UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip with the original update.zip from http://en.miui.com/thread-30617-1-1.html, and they're quite similar, so not sure what is wrong. Did you modify the zip file at all?

You should use CWM Recovery ( tuto here )
With CWM, you can root system 1 and 2, you can't do that with MiRecovery, i think your trying to flash System 1, while using System 2.

You should use CWM Recovery ( tuto here )
With CWM, you can root system 1 and 2, you can't do that with MiRecovery, i think your trying to flash System 1, while using System 2.

hey @Burnarz, you were 100% correct. i installed cwm recovery permanently, and then installed that UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.45.zip (to both system1 and system2), and yep now I've got root and SuperSU works properly! Thanks again.

Weird thing is, each time I go into CWM Recovery, when I reboot, it tells me that "Root access possibly lost". Seems it doesnt matter if I click Yes or No, SuperSU seems to still work no problems.

Hi all,
I've been trying to root my mipad in the past, mostly using the Mi Recovery 2.0.1 + update.zip method, but could never get it to work.
I've just updated recently to the latest dev ROM, 5.3.20, so wondering if the Mi Recovery method would work on this version, or should I be focusing on the CWM way instead.
Prefer Mi Rec, as it seems straight forward than others. But to be honest, I haven't tried other methods for fear of bricking the unit.