Does MI2 support USB DAC?

Discussion in 'Xiaomi MI2(s)' started by thangcoo, Jul 16, 2013.

1. thangcoo

thangcoo Members

2. Google Adsense

3. dextructor

dextructor Members

thangcoo

According to this document (http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/connectivity/usb/index.html) devices with Android 2.3.4 already support this protocol but it's very clear that if had some limitation it's about hardware related.

I use an Grado RA1 amplifier (http://www.gradolabs.com/page_headphones.php?item=7882e729321fad6256d8d77c0629dbb4) but it's analog, so I don't depend of protocols and hardware limitations.
  4. thangcoo

thangcoo Members

Thank for your info, the 3.5mm output of MI2 is not good imo, so I'm thinking about upgrading by external dac.
    MI2 supports OTG but as the info in the topic on head-fi, not all android phones natively support USB DAC, it requires kernel to support this feature, Samsung, HTC, Sony implemeted on their flagships, do not know about Xiaomi.
  5. M1cha

M1cha Members

In theory u can connect whatever u want via USB u just need to add the driver to the kernel.
    thangcoo and dextructor like this.
  6. thangcoo

thangcoo Members

I've tested MI2 with ODAC and DACport LX, and none of them can work with Xiaomi MI2 via USB Audio Recorder Pro. So we can't upgrade the audio quality of the great MI2

Update on Oct 26:
    - Stoner Acoustics UD110 does not work with MI2 because of its new USB Receiver.

Update on Aug. 22:
    - I've retried MI2 with iBasso D4, and it worked with USB Audio Recorder Pro.
    - DACport LX can work with MI2 too, but only when I supply it with external power.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  7. dextructor

dextructor Members

thangcoo

Thanks for the upgrade news. Until the kernel is released or M1cha finish his opensource kernel at least this devices is useless for us
    thangcoo likes this.
  8. Redbean

Redbean Members

Tested on UD100. Not working too.
    thangcoo likes this.
  9. Redbean

Redbean Members

xeGox likes this.
  10. RuMziii

RuMziii Members

I have Fiio E17, I guess it is supported as I do get improved and louder sound output.
  11. Redbean

Redbean Members

If it works for you, the sound will not come out from the speaker, instead will come out from the line out of your E17.
    Unlike mine, when I plugged UD110v2 via OTG to the phone, sound still comes out from the phone speaker :(
    But using the app seems to bypass this.
  12. 1elf1

1elf1 Members

M1cha

I think we would really appreciate your help her with the drivers.
    AS i see there are many users that interested in USB DAC :)
    If you will have some spare time i would like to help with everything related to the drivers, i found recently the drivers for USB DAC from Galaxy S3 that natively supports it.
  13. M1cha

M1cha Members

give me these drivers :)
    Now that we have working OTG there is at least the possibility that this can work :)
  14. 1elf1

1elf1 Members

Hi M1cha,

Thanks for answering, i really appreciate it!
    Here and Here you have the drivers from Samsung Galaxy S3.
    Here you have the USB audio source code.
    Here is a topic of a guy that wrote the USB audio driver for his Ainol 7 tab. It also have a Link to the drivers he used.
    Here is a page from google that reminds USB_CLASS_AUDIO.
    And Here is a topic on Head-Fi forum that talks about Android and USB DAC and how Great it is.

Thanks for your efforts! Hope it will be possible, and Thank You for making our great device even more attractive!
    M1cha likes this.
  15. 1elf1

1elf1 Members

BTW, i have managed to get my PCM2704 based USB DAC to work with USB Audio Player playing FLAC files and i have to say, The sound is AMAZING! the issue is that USB Audio Player has built in drivers.... The point is to make this work "out of the box" like other SOny or Samsung devices.
    I recently spoke with redmaner about this to include in his kernel but apparently those USB Audio drivers already included in, and it's not working straightly :(...

Hope you will make it work :)
  16. M1cha

M1cha Members

It looks like all the guys who implemented usb dac didn't publish their kernel sources.
    I can't believe that there are non-manufacturers doing that.
  17. M1cha

M1cha Members

1elf1 likes this.
  18. enyx.es

enyx.es Members

Thats why he got his account suspended

Enviado desde mi MI 2 mediante Tapatalk
  19. Redbean

Redbean Members

I have a usb dac and its specification written is:
    [​IMG]

I have talked to the other user who has a working usb dac setup (similar usb dac with mine) on his nexus 7 tablet.
    He said he is using this setup:
    Zel's CM11 http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2546065
    Kangaroo kernel http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2558717
    He claimed that with this setup, hotplugging and volume control works.

I am not so sure about this.
    He doesn't mention that he used this, but he attached these links for my reference.
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2029728
    http://mehrvarz.github.io/nexus-7-usbrom/

I hope it helps.
  20. 1elf1

1elf1 Members

Never thought that people would cheap on opensource....
    The most sad thing about it is the meaning of "OPENsource".
    M1cha thank you for your efforts, holding fingers together...
  21. DimitrisTS

DimitrisTS Members

Any news on this? I would also like to use this feature if possible

Share Our Site