HTC Flashing new radio

Discussion in 'Other Devices' started by lsiden, Jun 25, 2012.

1. lsiden

lsiden Members

Hi all. I just attempted twice to flash the radio EVO_Radio_2.15.00.08.08.zip hoping to improve my reception a bit. But each time after I reboot and look at About Phone under Settings, it still says "Baseband version: 2.15.00.05.02". So it looks like the flash never took. I searched for "baseband" in the Logcat to see if there was some message but found nothing. I thought this was supposed to be easy! lol

HTC Evo 4g, with MIUI.us build MIUI-206150 MIUI and Kernel 2.6.38.8-cayniarb-ics-stock-031012.
  2. Google Adsense

3. pedrodog69

pedrodog69 Members

4. lsiden

lsiden Members

Thanks @pedrodog69. I checked that thread. It points to two other threads for getting more info. I think I followed the procedure. Perhaps problem is that I tried to flash a ROM, dernel and radio in one recovery session. Could be I need to flash the radio then reboot immediately. Do you know if that may be the problem or am I making wild guesses here?

Everyone seems to recommend Amon-Ra for recovery now. I'm still on Clockwork Mod because I was a n00b and wanted the training wheels that ROM Manager provides. I'm wondering if CW recovery is the problem. Maybe it's time for me to switch to Amon-Ra.

Also, I was reading on some old threads that to flash a radio, you need both RADIO S-OFF and ENG S-OFF. I never heard of these before. I just knew about the one S-OFF that I got when I rooted my phone and that I see whenever I boot into the bootloader. What, there's more?! lol Is it the case that those threads are old and no longer apply to newer phones and bootloaders?

So to recap, I'm making a wild guess that the problem could be one of:
    1) need to flash radio, then reboot immediately, not go to bank, dry-cleaners, barbershop or flash anything else. ;)
    2) need to switch to Amon-Ra
    3) need ENG S-OFF or RADIO S-OFF, whichever one I didn't get when I rooted with the Revolutionary tool.

Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your comment and let me know if you have any more thoughts.

Man, this shit is confusing, but ultimately worth it! I'm so much happier that I got a Droid than an iPhone. I love to _own_ my own equipment and I hate being stuck in a walled garden even if the walls are gold-plated. ;)
  5. pedrodog69

pedrodog69 Members

OK now that you fully understand that by messing with your radio you could possibly brick your phone( break it and turn it into a $300 paperweight) before doing any thing you need to make sure you back up everything to a computer ( copy entire contents) and a nandroid back up in recovery.
    Change recovery to amon ra because it has less errors than clockwork. Using the revolutionary tool brings you to s-off (security off) witch allows you to flash a custom recovery.
    Always flash one at a time and give things a little time to settle and make sure everything is running to your liking before going further and always do wipe cache and dalvic cache before you flash! Do that twice to be safe.
    I have had a few times resort to taking the copy I made from my computer to my phone and everything turned out great as long as I can get into my recovery and be able to switch to USB toggle.
    If the flashable radio doesn't work for you I would try the old way.
  6. lsiden

lsiden Members

Already got there! I've had my phone S-OFF with Revolutionary since a few weeks after I bought it almost a year ago and I've been through several ROMs already, but I was still not satisified with it's performance but not confident enough to do anything but flash ROMs.

It took me a while but I'm finally getting comfortable with the flashing process. This morning I did a NAND backup, I updated from Clockwork to Amon-Ra, did another backup but this time with AR, then updated the radio. The first radio update failed, so I took out the card, put it in my card-reader and copied the image again. Second time was the charm. I did each using the PC36IMG.zip method which is a snap (and probably safer than the fastboot method, since there's no risk of botching something by typing a wrong command).

I understand that 99% of people who brick their phones do it by removing the battery while updating the bootloader or the radio (not sure if this also applies to updating recovery). I made sure I had an 80% full battery when I did this, but it only took a minute or so to update each and barely made a dent in the battery level. A little vertical progress bar on the ride side of the bootloader screen kept me feeling warm and fuzzy while that happened.

I updated to the Mason I kernel a few days ago and selected InteractiveX as my governor and bumped the max clock speed a couple notches (but still below 1200). Been running great ever since! Some people reported great performance with the Wheatley governor, but it seems you can only get that in the Tiamat kernel, and I couldn't find version of the a Tiamat kernel that supports hardware acceleration, which MIUI and Mason (and my Evo) do. I later learned that Wheatley is a variant of OnDemand which seems to be on the way out, at least among the cognoscenti, so I'm not sure it will matter all that much.

I'm anxious to see how my signal improves now that I've got a new radio. Haven't been out of the house enough to notice anything because I work at home and can spend several days as a shut-in if I don't make a point to get out and go somewhere.

One of the problems I hoped the updated radio would solve was the dreaded "Package File Invalid" seen when I try to download large files from the Google App store. A developer in another thread claims that this is really a Google code problem, because people who use the Amazon app store have been reporting no such problem. I'm beginning to think he's right because I encountered it again just a few minutes ago when trying to download Flixster. In fact, I just downloaded Flixster from the Amazon App Store and neither Launcher Pro nor the Miui-Launcher can even find it. Oh well! Two steps forward, one back.

In any case, I think that after almost a year of owning my Evo, I finally _own_ my Evo. I finally have the phone that Sprint should have provided me with in the first place if they and the OEMs didn't pay monkey-programmers to make images that are really the least-common denominator they can build that still looks flashy in a store-demo. What crap! lol

Thanks for the help and encouragement, PedroDog!
  7. pedrodog69

pedrodog69 Members

No problem we all had to start somewhere and it looks like your on your way. Just remember everything you wish to learn is just a click away on google or search button on miui android and xda.

As far as signal strength I have sprint and cell reception sucks in some areas and better in others compared to other carriers. Its a crap shoot! Down load speeds drop one day and is good the next.

We its great that you figured it out good luck and see ya in the forums!

Share Our Site