Galaxy Nexus (GSM) 2.6.8 just showing 768 MB RAM ?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by rschueg, Jun 10, 2012.

1. rschueg

rschueg Members

hi,

I installed 2.6.8 (fresh install, cleaned up everything) and everything seems ok and fine, but the amount of RAM showing is not correct. It's just saying that there is only 768 MB available, it should be 1024 MB.

any hints ? just (re)setting a kernel parameter ?

greetinx from Vienna,
    rainer
  2. Google Adsense

3. iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches Script Gatekeeper Staff Member

System reserved RAM, for like the Java VM. Its not available to the system.
  4. rschueg

rschueg Members

well, I can't believe that.

1) I was running Galnet's MIUI builds, and there I had the full (1024 MB) RAM available

2) What do you mean by "system" ? The OS ? When you mean the OS, it would mean that 256 MB of the available RAM are not used.
    And no other component could use them.

JavaVM's memory usage is defined in system- or startup-parameters.

I think it's a configuration problem. It could be a wrong parameter when starting the kernel or a wrong system parameter.
  5. iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches Script Gatekeeper Staff Member

I don't know how to explain this then. We could lie about actual system available RAM and make it look usable (probably what galnet did), but thats not true.

The linux system allocates X amount of RAM to run the Java envirnoment in which Android is in. Imagine

Phone -> Linux -> Java -> Android. The phone boots linux. Linux allocates X RAM to Java. This JAVA system only sees that it has Y amount of RAM since its running in a sort of VM. This is just how Android works. Any other ROM was just deceiving you. Android would never give 100% of its RAM to manage.
    adamslast likes this.
  6. weedy

weedy Members

You NEVER had that ram available. Just like cheap laptops with intel GPUs, the system and the GPU share the ram chip. Your missing ram has been allocated to the GPU and anything things else that needs it (most likely all to the GPU but what ever).

My NS has a 512mb chip but I can only use 350MB. The other 162MB of ram are for my GPU so I can play/record in 720p.
    That said I have compiled my own kernel to give me 400MB of usable ram and make the necessary adjustments to the codec libraries to deal will the decreased GPU ram.

TL;DR stop bitching, nothing has changed.
  7. Burn2Hell

Burn2Hell Members

8. shobon

shobon Members

9. Burn2Hell

Burn2Hell Members

With the new version i see 1gig of ram on my gnex

Share Our Site