TEST

HTC General Evo Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Devices' started by lithid, May 16, 2011.

1. gmfeny

gmfeny Members

Ha yea there impatiently waiting now getting pissed at me whenever I mention that MIUI 5.20 for the Evo is already out but its on miuiandroid.com.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  2. itlnstln

itlnstln Members

The reason why the US group doesn't want to discuss this build too much is for support reasons. It will be too confusing when talking about issues for one build or another. That said, I don't think Stiff has any problems with Lithid or his ROM. In fact, he suggested flashing Lithid's port as he would be late this week. I think what set off some members of the other forum is Mark's tweet about being on time each week when stiff is having family issues in Korea causing the delay. In any case, I am using Lithid's ROM this week and as a user, and I could care less about any beef between devs. From my perspective, I would hope these two communities can come together and help each other build better ports every week. Having options and a "backup plan" is always a good thing. Thank you, both Lithid and Stiff for taking time out if their busy schedules and creating a FREE ROM I get to use every week.
  3. paranoid android85

paranoid android85 Members

im on the latest build and i can't seem to install miui weather apk. anyone else having this issue? thanks
  4. jmillspaysbills

jmillspaysbills Members

Personally, I can say from experience that the guys at miui.us have no ill will for miui android.

I am not a dev and was never involved with any of the behind the secenes stuff going on. I actually made a post asking why miuiandroid.com had another port of the evo. Not trash talking or anything, just confused as to why there were two when they said miuiandroid.com wouldn't support "non official" phones.

Anyway, they locked the thread and sent me a PM about how they didn't want trolls trash talking miuiandroid.com, Mark, lithid, etc.

I don't think anyone is trying to talk trash about anyone else... especially the devs at least. I think it would be in the best interest of the EVO community if everyone just got along and helped each other out.

I don't see any reason to have two versions of MIUI that would, for all intents and purposes, be the exact same thing.

With that said, I appreciate what everyone here does, because God knows I wouldn't be able to do it myself.

So, thanks for everything you guys do, and keep doing what you do, but for the love of God, please kiss and make up, and make one bad ass EVO ROM instead of two.
  5. lithid

lithid Regular user

You can say the same thing about every other sense or aosp rom on xda. Yet that doesn't stop anyone. Its just a port, another one sure. Thats the beauty of choice. Spliff was busy was he not? If its the same thing then whats the issue? Get it from him or get it here. Either way it ensures a rom out there. If I am late a week pick up his. Its called choice.
  6. paranoid android85

nicely put!

Sent from my PC36100 using the miuiandroid.com forum app
  7. jmillspaysbills

jmillspaysbills Members

nicely put?

You completely disregarded everything I said.

The point of the post was that they aren't trying to talk shit about you guys. From what I gather they were kicked off Miuiandroid.com for whatever reason. It doesn't even really matter at this point.

All I'm saying is that collaborating on a project will always bring better results and bigger ideas than two people working on separate projects to the same end. you could share responsibilities, knock out bigger projects in a shorter amount of time, and it's easier for support, etc.

Instead of people getting confused over which version of MIUI for EVO they're running, you'd have one single point of contact. Especially since both are named the exact same (1.5.20, etc.).

I think you guys are completely missing the point. This isn't a pissing contest. This isn't about who's is late one week. This isn't even really about choice. It's the same ROM for god's sake. It's about collaboration. It's about progress. It's about making an awesome ROM for the EVO.

It's not about bickering. It's not about infighting. It's not about competition.
  8. lithid

lithid Regular user

How do you know its the same rom? When it comes to porting one file could change the entire thing. One extra edit. They are not the same name. They are not the same rom. They are two roms ported from the same source maybe. I don't know what he does to port and he doesn't know what I do to port it. Yes this is about choice. It's always about choice. You have a choice to come here right? You choose to do that. Your choosing to start something, and or bring things up. Sure your able to express views, but coming in for round two after I have already explained myself? Sounds to me like your trolling.

Please Stop.
  9. jmillspaysbills

jmillspaysbills Members

Haha trolling. I love it. Anytime someone disagrees with someone else on a forum they're a "troll." Ridiculous.

Anyway, my point is not that you guys are copying each other. I don't expect you guys to have the same process. But my point is that the end result is a ROM based off of MIUI for the EVO that basically looks and acts the same way in effect (while yes, I understand there will be slight differences). The end result is basically the same thing, while the two ways of getting there might be different.

My ultimate point is that you may very well have ideas that are better than another developer, and that same developer might have different ideas about something else that are better than what you've come up with for the same problem. The idea isn't to exclude another community. The idea is to embrace MIUI for the awesome ROM that it is an help each other out to create one ROM that is better than the two separate ROMS (not that either ROM is bad by any means - I'm actually using your port this week because of the delay in Stiff's).

Part of the problem we'll see down the road is fragmentation; people having different issues with their different ports, and going to the wrong place for support. Maybe not on this forum, but on XDA, or other forums that aren't ROM specific.

I don't see how I'm being negative here. I'm not trying to bash you. I'm not trying to bash miuiandroid.com. I'm not trying to bash anyone. I don't see how I'm a "troll" unless your definition of "troll" is someone who disagrees with you. If so, that's pretty immature, and the chances of me using your port again drop significantly.

When it all comes down to it I'm here because my phone kicks ass with MIUI on it. And I'll continue to use MIUI. If you want to act like a spoiled brat and close discussions by calling me a "troll," then I'll stop using your port, stop contributing to the miuiandroid.com community and contribute to a different community.

If you ask me, that's certainly not in the best interests of the MIUI community, but if you want to stifle debate, then I'll just use my freedom of "choice" and go elsewhere.

It's up to you.
  10. lithid

lithid Regular user

The issues is not that fact your express your views, I understand where you are coming from. If someone doesn't know where they got a port from, then they shouldn't be flashing roms. I see you didn't forget where you downloaded yours from. You see, people think they know and understand what is going on. Before I came here I reached out to the guys at miui.us I was ignored. Then I proceeded to do what I like. Android. I have no issues with either side. My issue is when I wanted to download a rom on miui.us half the time the port forgot about hardware 004 guys like myself. Since i have a rev 004 evo I was always ripping the rom apart and adding my own stuff in anyways. Eventually there was a cam fix released. Why should I receive a cam fix? Why should something be released without attempting to make sure it works on other platforms? I am here building because of a choice. Maybe you think we should all work together? You are allowed to think that. I wouldn't mind that at all. Until that happens there will be two roms. Lucky for you I was here porting this week or you miui fix would have been on hold. There is good and bad with everything, it is what it is.
  11. barnacles10

barnacles10 MIUI Android Staff

Keep up the great work!
  12. EndlessDissent

EndlessDissent Members

Well, I probably shouldn't be getting in the middle of this, but I can definitely understand your point about your hardware not being supported by the miui.us port. The fact is, and I know you're aware of this, stiffspliff only has an 003 Evo. I'm sure if he could test on an 004 Evo, he would make his port perfect for everyone. Same goes for you. You only have access (unless your brother is around) to an 004 Evo, so you can't test to make sure everything works on 003 Evos, but I'm sure you would if you could.

What I'm thinking here, along the lines of collaboration, or at least some type of cooperation between you and stiffspliff, is that you guys could definitely help each other one way or the other. Stiffspliff could advise you on the best way to make your MIUI port work flawlessly on 003 hardware, and you could advise him of the best way to make his port work on 004 hardware. Or, if you guys would rather keep your ports completely separate, maybe you guys could agree to split your ports according to hardware versions. Your port would focus on the 004 hardware, and his would focus on 003. Obviously, there may be some overlap in that some folks with 003 hardware will be able to run your port fine, and some 004 folks could run the miui.us port fine, but for the most part, one port would be advised for each type of hardware. This would allow for each of you to better troubleshoot problems in your respective ports.

The biggest drawback here would be that some users will want to be loyal to one port over the other, and they'll continue using their preferred port regardless of hardware version, and they won't appreciate the "hardware optimized" version just because they view miui.us and miuiandroid.com as two competing factions. There's nothing anyone can really do about that except for you and stiffspliff to openly recommend each other's port for the appropriate hardware combinations, and hopefully, get through to the users that the goal is to use and enjoy MIUI, not for one site or the other to "win" anything. Another concern I have is that anyone to whom you recommend stiff's port might feel betrayed or alienated (and vice versa for stiff recommending your port) unless you make it clear that the only reason you're sending them away is for them to get the best support possible.

I don't know, really. It's just a suggestion, obviously. Your post just pointed out to me an actual advantage of having two different ports besides the much-cliched "choice is good" reasoning that everyone has been using to justify the two ports (not that I disagree with choice being good, because I'm a fan of choice, just that it's kind of an empty slogan just to make people shut up when they question the existence of two ports). It's obviously completely up to you and stiffspliff to discuss the matter. I just thought I'd throw out an idea for a compromise before any more competitive attitudes come into play, and I figured it might make your lives a little easier to specifically support the hardware versions you have, not to mention making it slightly easier for people to find what works best on their hadware.

*NOTE: Any mention of "003" above refers to 002 and 003 hardware with the old camera, while "004" above refers to any Evo with a new camera, 004 or 003.
  13. barnacles10

barnacles10 MIUI Android Staff

Not disagreeing with any posts, but we do have a hardware 3 evo on the dev team. Me.

I've always been happy to help =)

However I do agree with people picking sides, and using software not based on usability, but instead whom they side with dev wise. I don't think miui.us and miuiandroid will ever be one. Devs left and created miui.us cause they didn't want to be here. So that's really not am option.

However, people should try each rom and choose which they feel works best for them, as wwell as pick a place they consider to be more support friendly. And that is that.

Sent from my PC36100
  14. lithid

lithid Regular user

All in all. I like turtles.

15. paranoid android85

16. itlnstln

itlnstln Members

I like puss... kittens.

Just keeping family-friendly.
  17. Scottndville

Scottndville Members

Endless brings up a very b valid point as to hardware differences. I am an 003 Evo. I was running Lithids build and kept getting the camera couldn't connect error. If I rebooted it went away simply to return for no apparent reason. Then I flashed the other build and have not seen the error since. Theres no fault or blame to place. I don't even see any competition or reason for it. Its not like the devs get a dollar for each download. I chose to try Lithids port and made the choice to run Stiffs port. It would be great to see one Dev team for the Evo. I don't care how many sites there are. But these two devs have great talents I can't help but think how awesome a collaborated effort between the two would be. I love both the devs for what they do for all of us. 003 & 004 hardware folks. Just my $.02
    And FYI I'm not trolling just sharing my opinion, if it offends you then I'm sorry.

18. gmfeny

gmfeny Members

I have a 003 Evo and haven't had any problems with camera with lithids port only in is first release but a change of the kernal fixed that. I don't think its a good idea if one dev builds for one hardware version and the other builds for the other version. I think they both should do the best job they can do and we can choose which one we want to run. I don't see anything wrong with the way its going now. My only issue is mods getting pissed BC someone mentions the other websites port. If someone says mute isn't working and I say my mute is working but I'm using the other port. I shouldn't be reprimanded for it they should say ok well its not a bug from the Chinese since its working on the other build so let me find a way to fix it. But it's not up to me so who cares what I think lol.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
  19. JasonK75

JasonK75 Members

Huh? Maybe I missed something, but what does "I like turtles" mean? It must be some sort of inside joke and not something random to toss out there to stops the amazing conversation that was going on right before it. Here I was reading my man Endless well thought out post about the benifits of having you and Stiff work together and the good it could do for the community and I was so excited to see what great reponse there would be and then nothing?? Maybe it is coming yet or maybe it was PMed?

Well, since the subject just switched from General EVO discussion I just toss out that I'm indifferent to turtles. Now the character Turtle on Entourage is pretty cool, but Ari makes that show in my mind! It must be a blast for Jeremy Piven to play that role! LOL :)

MIUI
  20. paranoid android85

Share Our Site