Is it worth it? Are the graphics stretched?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by greatscott, Jun 20, 2012.

1. greatscott

greatscott Members

Hey Guys,

Just a simple question, is it worth it to switch from stock to MIUI on the Galaxy Nexus? I had a Desire running MIUI for two years and loved it. I just got the Galaxy Nexus and downloaded the MIUI Launcher to see what it looks like. To be honest it looks like shit. I am a UI designer and the fact that the UI is over stretched and blurred is a complete game changer for me. I cant use a ROM that has stretched shitty graphics even if those graphics are better than the original ROM.

Is this the same with the actual ROM or does the ROM actually display properly on the Gnex?

Before anyone asks, the reason I haven't installed it is because if I cant get MIUI to look good on this phone I am going to bring it back and get a HTC Sensation. I cant do Android without MIUI! I dont want to root the phone until I know for sure.

Thanks for your help.
  2. Google Adsense

3. Acid

Acid Scripting Ninja Staff Member

What's the problem? Just root your GNEX and install latest MIUI. You can always back to stock non rooted rom. Try it yourself instead of waiting for someone opinion.

Wysyłane z mojego Nexus S za pomocą Tapatalk 2
  4. greatscott

greatscott Members

"Before anyone asks, the reason I haven't installed it is because if I cant get MIUI to look good on this phone I am going to bring it back and get a HTC Sensation. I cant do Android without MIUI! I dont want to root the phone until I know for sure."

I included that in the initial post so I would get bullshit responses from people such as yourself. Read the fucking post. If youve only got a smart ass response then keep it to yourself you fucking toolbox. Its an answer that I want, not an opinion. The graphics either fit the screen resolution or they dont. Its a simple yes/no answer.
  5. Acid

Yes. It's good. But if you install MIUI full rom not just MIUI launcher.

6. greatscott

greatscott Members

Ok so I installed MIUI on my gnex and the graphics are non native res and stretched in almost all cases. Especially when it comes to any custom MIUI app.

Lockscreen is ok
    Most buttons are ok - Maps is blurred (which is weird cos the other map icons are not blurred ie places and latitude)/ Youtube is blurred/Play store is blurred
    The mini icons on the top bar are blurred as are the toggle icons.
    All the mini icons on the menus are blurred.
    The MIUI widgets are blurred (music player etc)

Music Player app - all graphics here are stretched
    SMS app - All graphics here are stretched.
    Clock app - Mini icons here are stretched
    Notes app - All graphics here are stretched
    Dialpad - Stretched
    Contact list - Stretched
    Camera app - fine, but its the native app, miui has not skinned this one.

So needless to say, the above smart arse hasn't got a fucking clue what he is talking about. No surprise there.

Ive only had the thing on my phone for 10 minutes and thats what ive noticed straight off the bat. This ROM does not have a finished look. Its half arsed. It doesn't look half as good as it did on my HTC Desire. It doesnt display in native resolution. I dont know if this is just for now or if xiaomi have decided to not bother with native res graphics. I will be switching back to the stock ROM for now. Given that the gnex has such a nice high res screen there is no point in using a rom that stretches nearly all of the graphics in order to fit the screen. Negates the whole point. Stock ROM looks way better on this device.

Is there a phone that displays MIUI properly? Or has it all gone to shit now that every phone seems to have a massive screen?

Does anyone know if there is a plan to have MIUI display properly in native resolution on the gnex?

(Smart arse Polish guy these questions are not for you)
  7. greatscott

greatscott Members

Ok I am answering my own question now. This ROM is shite. Its not worth it. Not only are 85% of the graphics stretched but it continuously drops the signal. It happens every time I send a text and when Im in the middle of a call. Total shit. People told me MIUI didn't make the transition to ICS properly but I didn't believe them. It hasn't. This is nothing like the gingerbread MIUI. Unstable, slow and shitty like every other non official ROM besides Cyanogen. Fuck this...im sellling this phone. Back to HTC for me.
  8. Acid

If you think this graphics are blurred then... make better. You're UI designer right? Send Xiaomi fixed graphics or decompile apps and fix it yourself. It's easy to do.

But why selling such a great phone? If stock is better then.. why bother writing here? Install stock and leave this site ;-)

9. greatscott

greatscott Members

Fuck off you idiot. I don't THINK the graphics are blurred, the graphics ARE blurred. Its a statement, not an opinion. I am posting here so other people don't make the same mistake and listen to your bullshit. Thats what a fucking forum is for. You know, giving people actual true answers and advice. Its not for smart arse retards to state the obvious and post up misleading bullshit. If you don't have any idea what you are talking about, why are you posting answers to questions that you don't know? You're the one who shouldn't be posting you muppet. I am not going to redesign an entire UI for fun. I have to do that at work every day.

Just read through the messages again, comprehend what you said to me, realise that it was not factual and then punch yourself in the face for being such a waste of time and space. Had you not bullshitted me and told me that the ROM fits the phone then I wouldn't have installed it. I then wouldn't have had to post up a message telling other people not to make the same mistake. I swear. The internet is full of fucking idiots. Every time I post something on the net there is some iteration of you that posts a reply that doesn't answer the question, some fucking asshole, probably in their early twenties that think they know everything, ready to dish out some bullshit opinion at the drop of a hat. Im wasting my time talking to you...bottom line...if you don't know the answer to the question SHUT THE FUCK UP.
  10. Silaz

Silaz Members

Literally one of the worst posts I have ever read in all of the android community. You should be ashamed of yourself, your conduct, and the things you have written here. In no way does anyone in this community owe you anything, and if you do not like their answers, simply ignore them.

Moreover, the SMS app and Contact list are not stretched. On my Galaxy Nexus I am experiencing a 1.1 pixel mapping of the aforementioned graphics and icons. Perhaps given your rage, your own vision became blurred and you were unable to comprehend what is visually flawed and what isn't? I hope, for the sake of this community, that you no longer post such demeaning, immature responses to people just trying to help.
  11. iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches Script Gatekeeper Staff Member

Ouch. Glad you got it out of your system. 100% of the staff here works for a living too. We all work 40-50 hour weeks as programmers / designers and we do this in our free time. Did I mention we do this for free? You could have presented yourself in a mature adult way, maybe offered some improvements and we could of approached this whole situation differently, but then I read your post.

On the lines of things. You don't insult any staff member like that, or member alike. None of that behaviour will be tolerated.
  12. greatscott

greatscott Members

Staff member? If that Polish guy is a staff member then shame on you guys! Did you not read the thread? I asked in a perfectly nice way about the UI. Then I get this bullshit smart arse response from that asshole that doesn't answer the question, and shows that he didn't read my post. I specifically posted the bit about not being able to flash MIUI to the phone cos I wanted to bring it back. You don't see that attitude in this kids post? I am done with having to take attitude from idiots on the internet. If I post a nice mannerly question on here and some guy comes back at me with attitude then I am going to give it back to him.

So what I got was the usual smart arse response that you get from some idiot who wants to throw his weight around even though he has no idea what he is talking about. I realise the staff here do this in their spare time, I never asked anyone to do anything at all other than tell me if the UI fits the Gnex! I wasn't asking you for anything. Im not asking you to redesign the bloody ROM! I was simply wondering if Xiaomi are going to rectify the problem. I could fix the problem myself but I have other work to do and I am no that in to my phone to actually work on it in my spare time. Fair play to those of you who do, respect and all. I just don't want to. I did present myself in a mature adult way until that idiot decided to get cheeky. Why should I bother conducting myself in such a fashion if the child I am dealing with is not doing the same?

Silaz, on a side note, the SMS bubbles are stretched, so are the icons on the SMS app. The icons on the contact app are also stretched. I never said anyone owed me anything but thanks for the lecture.

You guys can be Admins and ban me etc etc. Block my IP address. Feel free to make this into some kind of anti MIUI post. I just don't need to take cheek from some asshole, and I am not going to. This Polish guy and every other asshole who has to post some smart arse comment on any of these boards does not deserve my respect. End of story.
  13. Acid

Ok.. I don't mind your offense to me, because I will not lower to your level of inteligence, replying to your offtopic posts. From your posts I am pretty sure that I am much older than you :)
    But let me explain my first reply.

Many users installed MIUI rom for GNEX and didn't say It has "shitty" graphics. Yes the graphics are not perfect in every app but are good enough to look great and make rom dialy usable. I did say that in first post because that you could try to install rom for yourself. And just try it. If you won't like this then you will move to stock rom easly. Thats all.

If you can't stand users "smart" answers on Internet forums then why creating posts and waiting for people replys? Install rom for yourself and make your own opinion!

For me and other users the graphics at this level of MIUI development are acceptable and the rom is for dialy use. And why?
    Because MIUI v4 rom for GNEX (and other phones) is .. still evolving. The 720p support came to MIUI just FEW weeks ago. And every week this is corrected. See this weeks changelog! MIUI v4 didn't have native 720p from the start! MIUI was started on Nexus S and not GNEX.
    This is not stock Android 4.0 rom for GNEX with every graphic 720p ready. Wait few weeks and see it there's an improvement.
    I really don't care that few pngs are stretched few pixels. I use the phone normally and I am willingly to wait.
    If you are perfectionist in this and can't accept few graphics stretched then please sell GNEX! Maybe someone will be happy to buy it from you and install MIUI rom :)
  14. Pele

Pele MIUI Android Admin Staff Member

..seriously :mad:

greatscott you need to read back from the top of your comments and work your way down. Warning you on this. Come back with unreasonable comment then its a straight ban with no let up, and you wont be able to make a new account either or in any name.

End of.
  15. xacro

xacro Members

For anyone else reading this, I'd like to weigh in on the 720p issue as a non-staff member and as someone who has a bit of experience with graphic design work.
    I am in this boat. I can see a lot of minor graphical flaws. The Maps icon is a good example - for some reason it's not at native resolution like all of the other icons, but it is scaled decently so the difference is not really noticeable unless you look closely. A lot of the widget graphics, like the clock widget, are not even scaled properly so rounded corners look pretty choppy and horrible. But again, it really isn't that noticeable except on close inspection. Furthermore, the icons in the dialer, the system settings and almost everywhere else don't look like they are at native resolution to me, but they don't look too glitchy and they're OK for everyday use. Similarly with a lot of other things.

I have experienced the signal issue, but I wasn't sure whether it was MIUI or just poor signal in my area. Switching kernels seems to help. (I'm using LeanKernel. I had major issues with this on GLaDOS. As far as I can remember, while I was on stock MIUI I didn't have any signal problems).

These 'papercut' issues may irk certain users more than others, but I don't think it means that this ROM is "shite". It's still evolving and I'm loving the feature-rich weekly updates. Moreover, most deal-breaker issues get fixed within a week or two (e.g. camcorder FC, gallery duplicate albums and FC)

However, if perfect UI graphics matters to you (and I can totally understand why), either don't get a 720p phone or don't use MIUI for now. To be honest, I'm personally eagerly waiting for Xiaomi to fix their graphics for 720p. I like my eye-candy :D
  16. Arch_l33t

Arch_l33t Members

[​IMG]

You know.. I've never used a MIUI Android build before. I don't even get my GNex till tomorrow. Hekk, I've never even POSTED here before. But the entire time I've been reading your posts I've been relatively appalled. You're (supposedly) a grown adult. You were (again, supposedly, though this may be really stretching it) raised with manners. Saying things like what you did, HOW you did, and cussing like that is not good etiquette. I don't care if you're talking online or face to face or through MiChat. Seriously. If I was a mod you would have been banned on the second post.

You're obviously familiar with rooting and flashing custom software. You should, hence, also be familiar with things not working 100% all the time. Even with MIUI. You might also be familiar with nandroid>flashityourself>testityourself. That's generally what we do.

So.. Uh.. Yea.

[​IMG]

And

[​IMG]

Cause I'd love to see you get banned. I'm new here. And if I was new to forums in general, seeing you posting like this would have made me swear off all forums and stick to iPhones.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
    fireon likes this.

Share Our Site