HTC Signal Issues

Discussion in 'Other Devices' started by The Batman, Mar 21, 2011.

1. The Batman

The Batman Members

Hey everyone,

I'm hoping to find a solution for this issue. Before I rooted and flashed MIUI onto my phone, I had terrible signal in my house. To solve this Sprint sent me the Samsung device that basically tutns yiur home into a mini cell phone tower. That helped tremendously, however, since root and flashing my signal seems nonexistent.

Any ideas on how to get a better signal? Maybe there is a kernel out there that would help me out?

If anyone knows, I would really appreciate the help on this one. Seeing my signal having only one bar and barely having reception in my own house is driving me up the walls.

Thanks to anyone that can help me out with this.

The Batman
    HTC Evo
    unrEVOked
    MIUI v1.3.18 Froyo
    The bc kernel that stiffspliff included in the above version of MIUI is the current kernel I have on my Evo.

Sent from my PC36100 using the miui-dev.com Forums App
  2. Google Adsense

3. running_onCode

running_onCode Members

I have the same issue. How did you go about getting the Samsung Device? Do you have to pay a monthly fee for it?
  4. Roy Jovero

Roy Jovero Members

Call Sprint and tell them you plan to cancel service due to lack of reception. That's how I got my Airave. There's no cost to it if you get it through the cancellation department.
  5. The Batman

The Batman Members

I already have the Airave that Sprint sent to me when I complained before I even rooted my phone. The problem now is that for some reason my signal shows only one bar of strength whereas before it was full.

I'm unsure if there is something that changes after flashing a custom rom so that the signal is obscured, but I would really like to fix the issue.

Anyone with ideas would really be helping me out.

The Batman
    HTC Evo
    unrEVOked
    MIUI v1.3.18 Froyo w/ WiFi fix

6. Roy Jovero

Roy Jovero Members

Have you tried boosting your Airave power?
  7. justS

justS Members

First question, are you coming to MIUI from a Sense ROM?

Second, when you write "signal seems nonexistent", what exactly do you mean? Bars aside, are you seeing "3G" or "1x" and is it one or the other a majority of the time or about equal?

Finally, are you having trouble connecting to the web, sending sms, making calls etc. or just seeing low signal?
  8. The Batman

The Batman Members

I came directly from stock to MIUI and haven't flashed any other rom since.

Usually it shows the 3G symbol when I'm not on WiFi.

As far as the service is concerned, I am still able to send/receive texts and calls.

I know I probably made it sound worse than it probably is, but I really wasn't sure if the number of bars had anything to do with it. Or if in fact the number of bars fir my signal were more or less just there for show LOL.

The Batman
    HTC Evo
    unrEVOked

9. The Batman

The Batman Members

As for boosting my Airabe power, I had no idea that I was able to do so.

If there is a way, can you explain to me how to do it?

Thanks everyone.

The Batman
    HTC Evo
    unrEVOked

10. justS

justS Members

Ok, that is what I figured. Sense ROMs always show 3G even if you are actually on 1x(EV-DO) and only indicate voice signal which is why it may appear to be a stronger signal (more bars). AOSP ROMs more accurately indicate signal strength for data (3G), which is why you often see your signal vacilating between 3G and 1x, especially when sending an SMS/MMS.

Don't be fooled into believing you once had a stronger signal, you probably didn't. If you are using your EVO in the same place you have been, nothing has changed except the accuracy of your signal indication. Switch back to a typical sense ROM and you'll see 3g again.
  11. stiffspliff

stiffspliff Guest

In sense based roms (basically anything else besides cm or miui for the evo), your signal bars do NOT show 3g strength. They are showing 1x strength - the signal you need for voice/sms.

In AOSP based roms like miui, the signal bars show 3g strength.

If you need proof that your signal isn't effected by ROM, download "realsignal" from the market, which puts a signal bar of your choice (1x or 3g/EVDO) in your status bar.

Look at both your realsignal readings one at a time (there is a flickering bug if you use display both options in realsignal) on a sense rom, and come back to miui and do the same. Signals should be similar.

Anyways, one way to help your signal is to manually reactivate your phone through the sprint towers. here is a quick how to -

1. Nandroid your current MIUI setup
    2. Wipe everything and flash a sense ROM
    3. Boot the sense rom, and dial ##3282# (##DATA#)
    4. Go into edit mode, and enter your MSL code
    (If you don't know your MSL code, download MSL Reader from the market and remember the code it tells you)
    6. Go to the data connection menu
    7. Hit menu - restore
    8. Wait for the phone to reboot
    9. Don't touch anything, it will show your lockscreen for a few seconds and automatically start activating the phone.
    10. Once activation is done, hit continue
    11. It will do a PRL update - feel free to cancel or let it update
    12. Hit continue, it will search for a firmware update - cancel this shit no need
    13. Once its all done, boot into recovery, wipe everything, and restore your MIUI nandroid
    14. Enjoy refreshed radios
    15. while you are on sense, for good measure ,clear your gps data
    16. dial ##gpsclrx##
    17. enter msl code
    18. reset gps data
    19. let phone reboot
    20. boot into recovery and restore miui nandroid

3g speed inside at my work: [​IMG]
    of course, don't expect these speeds, as everyone on these forums know, my phone is magical
  12. justS

justS Members

LOL, I just posted that tut almost verbatim on another forum. It is a bit surprising that this information has not permeated the Android forums more deeply. It is kind of a big deal, but no one seems to know about it. I guess we'll just have to keep helping. :)
  13. The Batman

The Batman Members

96 download; 73 upload...

This is without doing and of the aforementioned tips.

Just did the speed test that spiffspliff did.

On 3G not WiFi.

This seems too damn low even on 3G speeds.

The Batman
    HTC Evo
    unrEVOked

14. Dullahan

Dullahan Members

I noticed this same issue when I put miui on my phone a few days ago. Every sprint phone I've seen from 5 years old and less show full bars on my airave. With miui, it shows about 2/4 or 3/4 bars, even when right next to the device. That does not seem more accurate no matter how you explain it.
  15. justS

justS Members

You are correct, that indicates a need to follow the instructions stiff posted earlier. I get full bars anywhere in my house (upstairs or downstairs, 3500sqft) with an Airave. Signal should be much, much better.
  16. EndlessDissent

EndlessDissent Members

Units would be nice. 96 Kb/s? 96 KB/s? And no, it's not the same thing.

And if you're not satisfied with your speeds, then why haven't you done the fix instead of complaining?
  17. The Batman

The Batman Members

@EndlessDissent, I was really hoping that I didn't sound like I was complaining, but I just wanted to put it out there so that whoever was able to help me understood where I was already standing.

As far doing what stiffspliff recommended I am in the process of doing so. I just have not had the chance to implement his recommendations.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I will be downloading a Sense rom soon and following stiffspliff's directions. After which I will post the outcome after everything is all said and done.

Thanks again to everyone.

Edit: just rechecked my speed:

Download-228 kbps
    Upload-368 kbps

The Batman
    HTC Evo
    unrEVOked

18. running_onCode

running_onCode Members

Edit: just rechecked my speed:

Download-228 kbps
    Upload-368 kbps

The Batman
    HTC Evo
    unrEVOked

Sent from my PC36100 using the miui-dev.com Forums App[/QUOTE]

This was after flashing the sense rom and those instructions on page 1?

19. eb121209

eb121209 Members

I followed your instructions exactly and it didn't work for me, at first. I was on MIUI 1.12.9 and wanted to see if that would make my signal at all any better so I flashed Energy SensationXL ROM, which is a sense ROM. It didn't work for me so I restored my nandroid of MIUI and I couldn't access the internet or Market on 3G, I could over wifi just not over 3G. I was about to contact Sprint so they could fix it for me but decided to try one more thing. I flashed back to a stock rom and upon reboot it finished the activation process for me. So now I can access the internet and market over 3G.
  20. The Batman

The Batman Members

Ahh, the good old days of MIUI. Lol.

Share Our Site