HTC Tutorial for Installing MIUI v4 [Desire S]

Discussion in 'Other Devices' started by iBotPeaches, Aug 3, 2012.

1. iBotPeaches

iBotPeaches Script Gatekeeper Staff Member

Prior to installing MIUI v4, you need the official Desire S 4.0 ROM on your phone. To help automatically setup new partition sizes and what not.

Here is the ZIP w/ mirrors. Tutorial is coming. Though the files are pretty self explanatory.

• Update your recovery.
    • Check HBOOT version is 1.7 or below
    • Boot to recovery.
    • Flash stock ZIP file which is included in ZIP file.
    Tutorial if you DONT have 4.0 / Updated HBOOT
    1. You need S-OFF and HBOOT 7.0. If you have HBOOT 6.8 follow steps 2
    2. Rename the file PG88IMG_hboot7.0.zip to PG88IMG.zip. Follow Steps (4-7)
    3. If you have HBOOT 7.0 and S-OFF. Flash this PG88IMG_SAGA_ICS.zip.
    4. Place on root of SD Card.
    5. Turn phone off.
    6. Boot with Vol Down and Power to enter Fastboot (or adb reboot bootloader)
    7. Press vol key. That will start update of HBOOT. Restart at step 3
    8. After you have HBOOT 7.0 and HTC 4.0, you must flash a new recovery.
    9. There is a file for every OS (ends in .bat -> Windows, etc)
    10. Double check that file for your OS and it'll flash a new recovery.
    11. Then flash MIUI ZIP via Recovery
    Tutorial in Chinese here: http://www.miui.com/a-224.html

Download
    genothomas likes this.
  2. Google Adsense

3. Angelo

Angelo Members

Hi peaches. Can't you also give us the boot.img so that we don't have to go through all the hassle of S-OFFing the phone?
    It's too much hassle downgrading HBOOT. The way I flashed miui.us rom was by pushing the boot.img through cmd.
  4. iBotPeaches

What boot.img? There is none in the package. You want me to extract a boot.img from the HTC 4.0 ROM? If this was the case Xiaomi would of done it.
  5. Angelo

Angelo Members

Damn, i'm desperate, I don't understand the tutorial :( Do i first have to downgrade HBOOT and S-OFF before I get to your tutorial? I am having issues doing so as it's proving complicated and even following step by step guide from xda doesn't work :( Isn't there any way we can get the boot.img?
  6. iBotPeaches

What boot.img? I'm so confused. There is none in MIUI. You can grab the boot.img from the HTC 4.0 ROM, but that won't help on its own, because you need a 4.0 HTC ROM to re-align the system partitions to make room for V4.
  7. Angelo

Angelo Members

All roms (e.g. your gs2 version) have a boot.img in the package....i'm not sure about the realign part that you just said, but for example when I flashed miui.us V4 i just picked the boot.img from within the room and adb pushed it on the phone and it works. With your rom, I flashed it, but without adb pushing boot.img it gets stuck on the "MI" loading screen...I can't find a link for the HTC V4 rom, where can I get it?
  8. iBotPeaches

Its in the tutorial which you are responding to. Download that 600MB file in OP, and its in there.
  9. Angelo

Angelo Members

Ok will try...will this tutorial work on hboot 2.00 as well?

Sent from my GT-9100@MIUI 2.8.3+Siyah kernel v3.5.2 CPU@1600 GPU@400
  10. iBotPeaches

No clue. It didn't mention 2.0 in the tutorial.
  11. Angelo

Angelo Members

Doesn't work, requires HBOOT downgrade cause the ICS rom you have linked here can only be flashed through HBOOT. Would it be possible to have a flashable HTC ICS package from recovery? That would solve the problem if you could help.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: Seems like just pushing the boot.img through ADB makes the new miui work....I did not flash the official ICS prior to that though, would that be a problem you think? So far phone seems to be working
  12. Angelo

Angelo Members

Here is what I did in case it could be considered an alternate method

1)Unlock device using HTCDev method (Phone remains S-ON but is unlocked and allows to flash custom recovery). This way there is no need to change HBOOT if you are at 2.00.
    2)Flashed custom recovery using adb (from command line "fastboot flash recovery recovery.img") - recovery.img must be in adb folder of course
    3)Put miui rom on SDCard, flashed it from recovery
    4)Took boot image from the HTC ICS rom that is linked in this thread and after renaming to "fastboot flash boot boot.img" - boot.img must be in adb folder of course

that's it...phone boots with miui 4.0.4. Haven't found any bugs yet. Peaches do you think Xiaomi can increase CPU speed limit to 1.5ghz for next release?Could you ask them? Or do you know any compatible kernel that does that?Also, how do we install MIUI WEATHER?
  13. Tomy Paul

Tomy Paul Members

Hello iBot Peaches,

Thanks for the tutorial.. Enjoying MIUI 2.8.3 on my HTC Desire S now... :) :cool:

Steps i followed,

1. I downloaded the g12_v4_tools large zip file of more than 500Mb..
    2. Extracted and found new HBOOT 7 and Official HTC ICS 4.0 leaked Chinese ROM
    3. Installed HBOOT 7
    4. Installed HTC ICS ROM (Both by renaming corresponding zip files to PG88IMG.zip and copying to SD Card Root and from bootloader, it gets automatically detected)
    5. Booted into the Chinese Rom, All went well, booted fine,
    6. Installed 4EXT Touch Recovery 1.0.0.5RC
    7. Rebooted into Recovery
    8. Wipe Data/Factory Reset
    9. Wipe Cache
    10. Wipe Dalvik Cache
    11 Install From zip and i chose MIUI 2.8.3 zip
    12. Reboot after installation

Thats it..

I guess, if we do "Format all partition except sd card" it will format boot, and then it won't boot.. I haven't tried that .. :)
  14. Angelo

Angelo Members

Good stuff Tomy! Do you know of any good kernels we can try in order to increase cpu speed? Or how to enable MIUI WEATHER?
  15. Tomy Paul

Tomy Paul Members

Angelo, i guess, right now there is only one kernel that will work perfectly for this release, (MIUI 2.8.3) and that is the leaked, Official HTC Kernel 3.0, All other kernels are 2.6.3xxxx . Unless, HTC Releases the source code for the new Kernel, as far as i know, tweaking is almost not possible. We need to wait for it. Admins, correct me if am wrong..
  16. Angelo

Angelo Members

Aaah bummer...so we need to wait for the official ROM release to get tweaked kernels right?

Do you know how to enable miuiweather?
  17. Tomy Paul

Tomy Paul Members

I have no idea
  18. Ba Ca

Ba Ca Members

I have a big problem, my device is s-off and hboot 7.00, but i cant flash the PG88IMG_SAGA_ICS.zip, in the recovery mode it starts to install it, but then it suddenly abortes. Can somebody helps me ?
  19. longer83

longer83 Members

You are doing it wrong. You have to rename PG88IMG_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTCCN_CHS_3.07.1400.2_Radio_20.72.30.0833U_3831.17.00.310_release_266765_signed.zip file to PG88IMG.zip, then put it into root of your SD card and reboot into fastboot mode. The upgrading process will start automatically after you confirm it by pressing Volume Up button.
  20. Ba Ca

Ba Ca Members

Okay thank you, i flashed it this way. But the hboot was bypassed, is this normal ?
  21. longer83

longer83 Members

It happened to me as well. If you followed steps from beginning then you have flashed file named PG88IMG_hboot_7.0.zip which contains hboot 2.00.0002. After few next steps you had to flash PG88IMG_SAGA_ICS_35_S_HTCCN_CHS_3.07.1400.2_Radio_20.72.30.0833U_3831.17.00.310_release_266765_signed.zip renamed to PG88IMG.zip which contains hboot 2.00.0001. Upgrading of hboot has been bypassed to prevent downgrading to "older" version.
    Ba Ca likes this.

Share Our Site