HTC Which Kernel for Evo 4g with MIUI.us?

Discussion in 'Other Devices' started by lsiden, Jun 25, 2012.

1. lsiden

lsiden Members

Hi all. I'm thinking of flashing an alternate kernel that will give me better battery life and performance (a contradiction, I know, unless the one I've got now doesn't deliver either). I'd like to get something that will allow me to do away with all the power-saver and mem-saver add-ons that I believe shouldn't be necessary if they built the damn thing right in the first place.

So I Googled for "miui recommended kernel evo 4g". Upon cursory inspection of the top hits, the two that seem to be most recommended are Mason G and Tiamat. The Mason G page mentions support for the following file systems: HAVS, KSM (I series), Ext2/3/4, NTFS, but it doesn't mention FAT32, which is what my main SD partition is formatted as. (I formatted my sd-ext partition as ext3 although the phone now says its ext4 - go figure.) OTOH, some people really seem to like Tiamat for the Wheatley CPU governor.

So I guess my questions are:
    1) Which kernel can I flash?
    2) How can I find out whether my version of MIUI has hardware acceleration?
    3) If I flash Mason G (or I, as appropriate), do I need to reformat my SD card to say, ext3 before flashing?

Ever since I rooted my Android phone, each time I get some question answered I wind up with two or three more! Definitely not for the faint of heart, but I can't stop tinkering until it works the way I think it should have out of the box.
  2. Google Adsense

3. TroniT

TroniT Members

1) Try Mason Kernel NOHWA ( will be G ).
    2) MIUIAndroid = NOHWA MIUI.us= HWA
    3) if u flashing a kernel u just should Wipe Cache, Dalvik-Cache.

If u Flashing this rom for first time do a Full WIPE x3.
    Flash ur ROM, Kernel, ENJOY.
  4. lsiden

lsiden Members

Toni, a few more questions (see? I told ya, when I get one answered, I have two more!):
    4) I have MIUI.us which you say is HWA. So why do you recommend I flash Mason G which is NOHWA?
    5) In Clockwork Mod, each time I flash, I think my choices are: wipe dalvik, wipe data, and NAND backup (any combination). I didn't see an option to just wipe my cache, but I recall there being another place where I could do that but I can't remember anymore. Would I be better off switching to Amon-Ra that all the AOSP people seem to like?
  5. TroniT

TroniT Members

Do not flash kernel of HWA with NOHWA ROMs or viceverse.
    AmonRa works perfect try SmelkusMod of AmonRa.
    im pretty sure u have that option on CWM (Clockwork Mod) of wipe Cache and Dalvik-Cache.

The nandroid is just ur backup if something goes wrong so u good.

Note:
    Now that ur here not on MIUI.us whay u dont give it a try to Swiperrats Rom. MIUI 2.6.22.
  6. lsiden

lsiden Members

Sorry, I don't understand your English (please don't take offense). Right now, I have MIUI.us installed. I clicked the Swiperarat link but the page it points to explains nothing about what it is or where it came from or whether it's compatible with my Evo 4g.

Where can I go to confirm that MIUI.us has HWA before I flash a new kernel?
  7. TroniT

TroniT Members

Go to miui.us
    If u said Swiperrat threat doesn't said what it is.. where did u get ur miui.us? It should say if it is hwa or not to answer ur question.
  8. lsiden

lsiden Members

Well, Troni, I downloaded miui.us from http://roms.miui.us, of course. www.miui.us has thousands of pages, active forums, and claims over 225,000 installs, 30,000 of them on supersonic. So it looks like a safe bet, or people wouldn't keep coming back for more.

The link in the above image you gave me sends me to http://uploadimg.org/image-18.html. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with Android ROMs. In fact it doesn't seem to have any content at all besides a banner and a form to upload images. I'll do a Google search for Swiperrat to see if anything else comes up ...

Okay, I got this: http://htcevomod.blogspot.com/2012/03/official-miui-swiperrat-edition.html. Now that looks more like it! But it appears that the latest one he posted is MIUI 2.2.24 (Gingerbread). I did a Google search for "+swiperrat 2.6.22". Google responded:

Excuse me, Troni, for being a bit of a n00b here. I've been doing Google searches and reading pages until my eyes get blurry. When I see the word "Android" in "miui.Android", I think "Oh, yeah, I've got an Android phone and I flashed miui, so this must be what I'm looking for". It took me a little while to realize that miui.Android and miui.us are two different birds. Maybe that's why we're having trouble understanding each other. My apologies. You've been very helpful. I'll flash Mason G after I reformat my main SD partition to ext3. Thank you.
  9. lsiden

lsiden Members

BTW - if I recall correctly, Clockwork Mod's choices before flashing are a) wipe Dalvik, b) wipe data + cache, and c) NAND backup (any combination). There is no option to wipe the cache without also wiping the entire data. But I recall another place where I could wipe just the cache so I'll look for that again before I flash. Thanks.
  10. pedrodog69

pedrodog69 Members

You are in the wrong site. You want www.miui.us.com. This site is miui android.
  11. lsiden

lsiden Members

Hey, I finally found where I can wipe the cache without wiping the data. CWM recovery has a separate menu pick for that but you have to be in the recovery first.
  12. pedrodog69

pedrodog69 Members

Share Our Site