Heating Problems, Roms, Apps & Settings

are you using the button session or are you writing the command manually?
Well... not sure what you mean: there's a first window where I tried to set a session pressing a button in the top bar and I did put root as username and the remote host as shown in the phone.

Ok... I will get into it...! ;-) Thanks...!
Ok, I'm in, i'm done, testing time...!

[- hope the red error is not serious
- I used a different network to do this (GSM data connection and the phone as AP), before it was the home wi-fi...(???)
- As always, regarding Linux and great guides like yours, I just follow the steps but I do not really understand what I am doing because I have never got deep into the command line use of software; I always used Linux as is if it was Windows :-( ]
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard02.jpg
Clipboard03.jpg

Besides governor parameters, it might be important for a lot of guys aroud here (like me) - with battery and heating problems - to understand if we should or should not have the "developer options" ON, because there are a lot of settings that might mess with the device performance. If we should, which settings are safe to play with - I do not have a clue, and again, opinions are divergent:
1- Apps: turn them off...
2- Second plan processes limit
3- Memory optimization
4- Forcing apps turning off
5 - Miui optimization

Last edited:
A last thought for today:
If you are one of those guys who update the rom every week, remember that you will have to root the phone every week (installing SuperSu?), and run the profile scrip every week (because you will have to reboot the phone during rom updates).
So if you are a software installer freak you are good to go. If you are not, it might be better not to update the phone every week, or find another solution for your heating and battery issues...

Besides governor parameters, it might be important for a lot of guys aroud here (like me) - with battery and heating problems - to understand if we should or should not have the "developer options" ON, because there are a lot of settings that might mess with the device performance. If we should, which settings are safe to play with - I do not have a clue, and again, opinions are divergent:
1- Apps: turn them off...
2- Second plan processes limit
3- Memory optimization
4- Forcing apps turning off
5 - Miui optimization
How many hours your battery is during?

Reactions: Rui Cambraia
Well, usually I am a light phone user but now I am on a tour doing a heavy use of the phone: GPS plus GPS software (meaning the screen ON all the time between road stops), plus GSM data connection (for maps processing), plus one call once in a while, plus e-mail and Facebook once in a while... I get around 6 hours of battery but the heat goes up to 45+
So, regarding the script I'm using right now to control governors parameters, and regarding a regular usage of the phone, I will have a more consistent opinion by the next weekend... once the tour is finished.

Reactions: iamme729
I had the opportunity to use GPS last week on a trip... And I can tell you the phone got HOT... at one point I checked CPU-z and the temp was 48c !!...this is the hottest it has ever gotten...typically it only reaches above 40c when installing/backing-up etc.... so obviously rendering maps with use of GPS is very resource extensive...o_O
I think (but can't prove consistently yet) that the Kestrel script I've been testing here really improves general battery performance. However the Snapdragon processor doesn't help: it is definitely a processor that gets very hot doing some simple tasks. The governor I am using is the Interactive (again, with the Kestrel profile parameters). I am not sure that the Interactive governor is the most apropriate for the Snapdragon processor, and I do not know if this processor heating problem has a solution.
NOTE: because I reboot the phone many times, and each time I must reinstall the script, I am tempted to buy the ExKernel Manager app, which can load the kestrel profile - and maybe there will be other settings to domesticate this &x>!%#xxx! processor...

ExKernel manager is just a tool with no profiles pre-loaded, as said before you have to download the profile and then load it with ExKernel app.

They use this app because it's vastly used within the community of the Nexus 5X, so they makes profiles easier to manage with app.
Hi, I got the Kestrel.txt file, which I believe is the right one to load with ExKernel Manager. Believe it or not I did not find any tip anywhere about the folder where I should put it.
Ex Kernel Manager looks for it in proc/ or in sys/ - is there a folder you may suggest in our Mi4C...?
Thanks again...!

Hi, I got the Kestrel.txt file, which I believe is the right one to load with ExKernel Manager. Believe it or not I did not find any tip anywhere about the folder where I should put it.
Ex Kernel Manager looks for it in proc/ or in sys/ - is there a folder you may suggest in our Mi4C...?
Thanks again...!
Easy, first SAVE the current profile so Exkernel will create the directory you need, then put kestrel.txt under that directory (It's in /storage/emulated/0/elementalx/gov_profiles)

Easy, first SAVE the current profile so Exkernel will create the directory you need, then put kestrel.txt under that directory (It's in /storage/emulated/0/elementalx/gov_profiles)
Absolutely true. Was easy after I got your tip. I love when those Linux guru stuff are simple to do - no permissions issues, no console mode, no scripts...
But again, while the battery managing looks good, I was just surfing the net and the phone went up to 41.
Many thanks again...!

Hi,

I have the same issue with my Mi4C. After some browsing over the internet i found this costum rom from smiui that did improve my heat issue.

This was my test:
- Build a rom and download in rom kitchen section:
- install improve boot.img
- install super user

If any one knows how to do a little underclock changing the files in init.d it would be great and probably fix the issue.

Best regards,
John

It's the second time I hear about smiui... I really have to look at it.
Can't help you in the technical part, sorry.
Thanks for sharing...!

Reactions: Patadas
While dealing with Governors did improve battery life, my phone heating problem remains. My use of the phone along with the SnapDragon 808 processor, and Miui 8, became a pain...!
So now I am trying SMIUI - plain rom without third party apps that mess with thermal issues, for now...
Because... if you visit the smiui webpage you'll read this:

"CPU and Thermal Tweaks
Performance Mode is more powerfull and Balanced Mode is a perfect Mix between Performance and Battery saving which will never heat your device! Heat can damage your device very quickly and Xiaomi unfortunately ships its devices with very bad thermal control configs. sMiUI keeps your device cool!"

I mean... this is music for my ears...!!!!!!!!!

But... then you learn that there are some apps like Tasker which also use profiles (scripts that mess with several parameters) that people are using along with SMIUI... and you ask why...? Balanced Mode is perfect, and SMIUI keeps your device cool...! Right...?
Wrong...! Look, I am just an end-user, just a normal guy (not a hi-tech expert, not a linux guru) that bought a chinese Ferrari for the price of a banana with an engine without thermal control. And now the Ferrari is melting...
So, let's have a look to my normal-guy-new-doubts...
1- what's the difference between MODE and GOVERNOR (ex: Balanced Mode Vs. Interactive Governor)
2- I installed ExKernel and the governor stated was Interactive, wich I believe is not the best to deal with the SD 808.
3- all versions of MIUI have the same Thermal Engine files: are the parameters any different...?
4- what does it means "Thermal Tweaks"...? I did not find any tweaking settings for thermal issues, do I have to mess with scripts again...? SMIUI was supposed to be simple and cool.
5- I read that some scripts for Tasker allow you to cut down two processors, and keep two other in some kind of a standby mode... so you buy a Ferrari and then you cut off 1/3 of the engine and put another 1/3 to sleep...?

Last edited:
Rui,

In your car you have At leats 6 gears. You will not drive all the time At top speed. And i think that is the point where xiaomi governor fails.

Rui,

In your car you have At leats 6 gears. You will not drive all the time At top speed. And i think that is the point where xiaomi governor fails.
I think too. But the thing is: Mi4c is around for almost one year, there are a lot of different governors with plenty scripts and apps to use them... why is it so hard to get one combination that keeps a good control of the CPU usage...?
Is it really necessary to cut off some cores...??? Makes no sense... Apple had the same problem with some of the latest iPhone models and they dealt with it quit fast I believe.
I think we have engineering (and not managing) problems with the SnapDragon 808 and 810, and we will have to live with that as best as possible.
This makes sense to me ---> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/lg-g4,4353-2.html

The source code for Mi4c is avalable so maybe the developers can solve this issue:

en.miui.c o m/thread-187432-1-1.h t m l
That's the point: I think Mi4C is fading away in the market, and on the other hand if it's a processor design issue, I don't think it will worth the effort.
I mean, for light users the battery is doing great, and the heat may be manageable. It's just for those who need horse power that it became impossible to keep the phone in the hands...

Rui, what kind of horse power you need? and to do what exactly?
If you game on the phone, well it's really hard to not get such little device HOT imho (plus consider that, at least for me, it's summer so it's worse then ever...even my computer runs hotter this day and i have a Noctua dissipator on it, top class air cooler)

If the device gets HOT while browsing, texting ...looking to youtube videos, spotify etc. than there is a problem.
Indeed if you don't adjust some values like i did and explained to you in the guide, the 4c suffers from heating.

Hello,
I also have problem with heating. I have Redmi 3 and phone heats up (On display right up side) when I speak, when I use the browser, when playing any games, when I use facebook. What could be the problem? I am on last version eu software
PS: Sorry for my bad english