What Is The Best Way To Switch To Xiaomi Eu Rom?

Shinjiro

Members
Jan 5, 2017
Hello everyone,

I've recently bought a Xiaomi Mi5 (Which is currently on its way) and I suspect that it will come with a non-optimal ROM. Therefore, I'm interested in changing it to a wonderful Xiaomi eu ROM.

Since it is still being dispatched, I'm looking at all the information, procedures, tutorials... and I feel overwhelmed by all the information I'm trying to learn (I've found like 5 ways to get rid of a bad ROM). I know you've seen this kind of topic thousands of times, but I want to be sure that I'll follow the correct steps when I receive my phone.

Even though I think that this can be kinda useless until I have the phone, I want to prepare everything (I'll provide all the necessary info as soon as I receive it)

So... if I receive it with a bad ROM, the steps I'd follow would be:

1.- I've read that, in order to unlock the bootloader, I need a chinese developer official ROM, so I'd first install it through MiFlash and EDL mode. I'd take the ROM from en miui forum ("Method 3: Fastboot Update" guide)

2.- Request unlock and use MiUnlock for bootloader

3.- Install latest TWRP (3.0.2.3) through Fastboot

4.- Format through TWRP

5.- Install latest Xiaomi.eu ROM (V8.1.7.0)

Would I proceed correctly if doing this or would I transform mi new device into a useless piece of scrap?

I'm kinda scared of this, so your help would be very appreciated :D

Cheers

I'm not sure about Mi5 as I have a Redmi Note 4 & the steps are a little different.
But you can apply for permission to unlock now before you get your phone that way you will have it ready & that's what I did.
Just be sure to create a Mi Account & make a few posts over on en.miui.com as I heard that helps.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

3.5 Boot straight to TWRP after install with "fastboot boot twrp*.img".
4. Wipe data/cache/dalvik (do not wipe system).

I'm not sure about Mi5 as I have a Redmi Note 4 & the steps are a little different.
But you can apply for permission to unlock now before you get your phone that way you will have it ready & that's what I did.
Just be sure to create a Mi Account & make a few posts over on en.miui.com as I heard that helps.

I thought I had to bind a Mi account to the phone so they authorize me to unlock it. Isn't it so?

3.5 Boot straight to TWRP after install with "fastboot boot twrp*.img".
4. Wipe data/cache/dalvik (do not wipe system).

Thanks for the corrections! I had doubts in that point cause I saw videos where they format the whole phone and other videos where they wipe cache/dalvik/data (sometimes twice) so I didn't know what to do there.
Btw, do I have to flash a edited boot.img when instaling TWRP or it is not necessary if I boot it through "fastboot boot twrp.img"?

Anyways, as soon as I receive the phone I'll check ROM and bootloader status and will post it here. Meanwhile, is just to be sure I've seen the correct info.

Last edited:
You don't need to bind it to any phone or IMEI.
I asked that question too.
Just use your mobile number that you will be using in your new phone & even then I don't think that matters, that's all I did.

You don't need to bind it to any phone or IMEI.
I asked that question too.
Just use your mobile number that you will be using in your new phone & even then I don't think that matters, that's all I did.

Well, I've just sent the request. Hopefully I have the authorization when I receive the device (It would be fun if it came with bootloader already unlocked)

Kinda weird since it would mean I can unlock more than 1 Xiaomi device just by having 1 account

You might need login once in phone you want to unlock with your unlocking Mi account. At least my Redmi Note 3 kenzo did not allow unlock before login.

Well, I've just sent the request. Hopefully I have the authorization when I receive the device (It would be fun if it came with bootloader already unlocked)

Kinda weird since it would mean I can unlock more than 1 Xiaomi device just by having 1 account

You can unlock more than one device with the same account, but only every 30 days.

Can install xiaomi.eu_multi_MI5_V8.0.12.0.MAACNDI_v8-6.0.zip on MI5S ?
Can I do it with the installed updater by selecting teh file, I am using at the moment MIUI 8.0.3.0 Global stable ?
Boot loader is unlocked

Well, now I've finally received the phone and as I guessed when I posted this, the ROM is a custom one which I don't think is the best ROM.

I've got the authorization to unblock bootloader already (Thanks for telling me that I should do that even before the phone arrives) so... what should I do now?

Try to unlock bootloader in the custom ROM or use MiFlash with a official china developer ROM? (Taken from http://en.miui.com/a-234.html )

EDIT: As expected, bootloader is locked https://gyazo.com/f78696befe512db9e2008ccc2074016e

EDIT 2: This ROM allowed me to unlock Bootloader: https://gyazo.com/ffe09307a3f1f142fdc04fc1b0b4b638

EDIT3: It's done! I'm now on Xiaomi.eu stable version 8.1.9. Now I only wonder about updating when an update is out: Is it installed through TWRP but I need to wipe data? Or only cache and dalvik.

Last edited:
Did well :)
When an update comes out boot into TWRP, flash ROM zip, then wipe dalvik & cache. That is all.

Is updating from Global ROM the same? Why you do not recommend wiping system manually from TWRP?

Did well :)
When an update comes out boot into TWRP, flash ROM zip, then wipe dalvik & cache. That is all.

When switching to a weekly from a stable, is it the same? Or wipe data is necessary in that case

When switching to a weekly from a stable, is it the same? Or wipe data is necessary in that case
I'm pretty sure you need to wipe data in that case.
If you were going Stable>Weekly it might be okay.
You could as an experiment do a backup in TWRP, give it a try & see if you have any issues.