App Drawers On Redmi Note 4?

Anghealach

Members
Feb 18, 2017
Please excuse me if this has already been dealt with however I did read through most of the current note 4 threads and didn't see it.

I've just bought a note 4, deca core, it's running Miui global 8.0 stable, 8.0.4.0 (MBFMIDG)

This is my first step away from android, and I really miss being able to organize my apps into folders or drawers on the home screens. This is even more noticeable on the xiaomi because all the apps which I install appear on the screens rather than hiding away as they do in android phones so that if you only occasionally use one you can leave it stored.
Is there a solution to this or is it something that I'll have to get used to?

I haven't rooted my phone as it came with google play services working so I've just started to use it with no changes.
I do have another question - what are the reasons to root the note 4? Storage would have been an issue in the past with my old phones however with almost 55gig left to play with I don't see storage being a good reason for me now to go changing things.
There are some annoyances like double tap doesn't wake it, slide camera doesn't always start camera however quick ball helps there.

Please excuse me if this has already been dealt with however I did read through most of the current note 4 threads and didn't see it.

I've just bought a note 4, deca core, it's running Miui global 8.0 stable, 8.0.4.0 (MBFMIDG)

This is my first step away from android, and I really miss being able to organize my apps into folders or drawers on the home screens. This is even more noticeable on the xiaomi because all the apps which I install appear on the screens rather than hiding away as they do in android phones so that if you only occasionally use one you can leave it stored.
Is there a solution to this or is it something that I'll have to get used to?

I haven't rooted my phone as it came with google play services working so I've just started to use it with no changes.
I do have another question - what are the reasons to root the note 4? Storage would have been an issue in the past with my old phones however with almost 55gig left to play with I don't see storage being a good reason for me now to go changing things.
There are some annoyances like double tap doesn't wake it, slide camera doesn't always start camera however quick ball helps there.
Xiaomi's launcher works a bit like iOS where all apps are installed on the home screen with no drawer. You could install nova or apex launcher (or any third party launcher) that has an app drawer and some more customization.

With regards to root, if you're happy and don't need anything else then it's up to you. If you want to try custom roms/mods you can unlock your bootloader and install TWRP, but you don't *have* to do anything.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Anghealach
Thanks @gg333, I'll have a look at launchers, I didn't know about them.
As to rooting I'm grateful that my new redmi note 4 worked out of the box. I guess that really I'm curious about the reasons that people have for rooting. I've read lots of threads about "how to" and really don't know all the reasons "why to".
I'm probably not the only newbie reading through forums who has this curiosity. I'll keep reading :)
Thanks for your help.

Thanks @gg333, I'll have a look at launchers, I didn't know about them.
As to rooting I'm grateful that my new redmi note 4 worked out of the box. I guess that really I'm curious about the reasons that people have for rooting. I've read lots of threads about "how to" and really don't know all the reasons "why to".
I'm probably not the only newbie reading through forums who has this curiosity. I'll keep reading :)
Thanks for your help.

No worries, rooting opens up some more options in terms of apps/functionality/mods which are a must have for some users.

I unlocked my bootloader and installed TWRP which is a custom recovery and helps when making full backups and changing Roms. But I'm not rooted as I use a banking app which usually detect if a device is rooted and refuse to work.

It used to be more of need to root years back but Android has really progressed (in terms of performance/functionality) to the point where there isn't as much of a need to root these days.

The main reasons for rooting would be using ad blocking, using build prop tweaks, other apps that need root like titanium backup (backup tool for apps and other data), or other tweaks/mods using the root file system.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's lots to think over, good to know about the banking app as that's a deal breaker for me too.

I actually found a solution to my app folder issue, thanks to Ethan over at webcazine:
Tap and hold an app icon as though to move it, then move it over on top of another icon, the two will then create a new app folder. It may automatically name itself or you can tap on it and type a name.

Thanks, that's lots to think over, good to know about the banking app as that's a deal breaker for me too.

I actually found a solution to my app folder issue, thanks to Ethan over at webcazine:
Tap and hold an app icon as though to move it, then move it over on top of another icon, the two will then create a new app folder. It may automatically name itself or you can tap on it and type a name.

Yes totally forgot about folders as that's what I use myself. I normally always use nova but just decided to stick with xiaomi's launcher and go with it.

There are also apps/mods to cloak/hide root like magisk and an Xposed module (forgot the name), which some people use to get around having root and apps that don't like it, so it is possible to keep root if you really want it. But may take a bit of trial and error with the apps you use yourself.

Last edited: