Changes To /system Don't Actually Affect The System

Crater dylan

Members
Dec 11, 2016
this all started when i updated to the latest weekly: it was fine but i couldn't edit build.prop and enable the navbar, which I absolutely need because the hardware keys are broken. Not being able to edit a system file while being rooted already seems strange. I decided to go back to 8.1.3 stable, with no results. Then I flashed the latest china stable, then the latest china dev through DNX fastboot as to the guide there. After this I couldn't neither open recover nor fastboot but I fixed that. Then i went back to the xiaomi.eu builds but now every time I try to flash supersu 2.46 (the version recommended on the download thread that worked before), when I reboot i don't see any supersu app, and when downloading it, it says binaries not installed. I tried factory reset, fixing permissions and contexts, and system is r/w in twrp.
UPDATE: formatting system brought me back to the beginning: I seem to have root, when i reboot i can see the changes i made with a root browser, but they don't affect the system:apps that i put i system/app don't show up, no navbar... It's like it's loading a copy of the system, but this is mi pad 2, it doesn't have two system partitions like the first!

Last edited:
open terminal, type 'mount', see whether /system is mounted ro or not, because by default, it is ro. Then remount as rw.

open terminal, type 'mount', see whether /system is mounted ro or not, because by default, it is ro. Then remount as rw.
that's the output. Posting it all since I can't find system:
u0_a79@latte:/ $ mount
rootfs / rootfs ro,seclabel,size=961784k,nr_inodes=240446 0 0
tmpfs /dev tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,relatime,mode=755 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=600 0 0
none /dev/memcg cgroup rw,relatime,memory 0 0
none /dev/cpuctl cgroup rw,relatime,cpu 0 0
adb /dev/usb-ffs/adb functionfs rw,relatime 0 0
proc /proc proc rw,relatime 0 0
binfmt_misc /proc/sys/fs/binfmt_misc binfmt_misc rw,relatime 0 0
sysfs /sys sysfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
selinuxfs /sys/fs/selinux selinuxfs rw,relatime 0 0
debugfs /sys/kernel/debug debugfs rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,relatime,memory 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=750,gid=1000 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup/memory cgroup rw,relatime,memory 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup/freezer cgroup rw,relatime,freezer 0 0
none /sys/fs/cgroup/cpuset cgroup rw,relatime,cpuset,clone_children 0 0
pstore /sys/fs/pstore pstore rw,seclabel,relatime 0 0
none /sys/firmware/efi/efivars efivarfs rw,relatime 0 0
none /acct cgroup rw,relatime,cpuacct 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/asec tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
tmpfs /mnt/obb tmpfs rw,seclabel,relatime,mode=755,gid=1000 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/android_system /system ext4 ro,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/android_cache /cache ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/android_data /data ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,discard,noauto_da_alloc,errors=panic,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/android_persistent /persist ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/android_config /config ext4 rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,noatime,errors=panic,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/block/by-name/android_factory /factory ext4 rw,seclabel,relatime,data=ordered 0 0
/dev/fuse /mnt/shell/emulated fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
tmpfs /storage/emulated tmpfs rw,seclabel,nosuid,nodev,relatime,mode=751,gid=1028 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/emulated/0 fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0
/dev/fuse /storage/emulated/legacy fuse rw,nosuid,nodev,noexec,relatime,user_id=1023,group_id=1023,default_permissions,allow_other 0 0

wasn't sure because it was android_system instead of /system. By the way what now? Whitin the file manager I always mounted system read/write before doing stuff.
Honestly I never believe file manager for stuffs like this, always go down to terminal for assurance:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system
then check again:
Code:
mount | grep /system
make sure that ro has changed to rw.

Honestly I never believe file manager for stuffs like this, always go down to terminal for assurance:
Code:
mount -o rw,remount /system
then check again:
Code:
mount | grep /system
make sure that ro has changed to rw.
It has. Is that all? Still I wonder how it changed.
By the way thanks for the fast replies.