Is The Mi5s A Wise Buy?

Pollodelico

Members
Jul 1, 2014
Hi everyone!
I first entered MIUI world buying a MI3 3 years ago and I've been really pleased with that phone. Great performances for the time, great battery life, decent camera etc... but what I liked more about it was that it was always improving thanks to the weekly updates. Even now that it's partly broken sometimes I turn it on and get the last update being on the Global Dev rom: amazing for a phone which came out 4 years ago!
My last phone was an LG G3 which suddenly died and I'm now studying what the market offers in the middle price range. Flat S7 would be tempting now that prices are dropping but I never had great feelings about Samsung devices.
So: the MI5S.
Prices are dropping as well, I like it in black/gray and the specs are really good. Being an amateur photographer I even like the camera approach focused on the bigger sensor.
Reading here and there on the web I had the feeling that this is a bit neglected device though, it seems that everyone is waiting for a software improvement to fully release the hardware potential but this is never arriving and it'll become a forgotten phone soon... standard MI5 seems to be a lot better treated on the other side... is this true?
Would you buy one again today?
Thank you for the support and sorry for the long message :)

Hi i have Mi5s 4/128 version. So can give you answer on this questions.

If you like better images, maybe S7 ir right phone for you. Because Samsung always put best cameras in their flagships versions. But for price range of Mi5s, you will get very fast device, big memory, and very good display for low price. The issues that mi5s have is:

- non optimized fully camera. Now using full potencial of IMX378 due to software limit.
- Fingerprint somethimes is a little slow.
- In recent roms have issue with fingerprint battery drain (but this can be resolved bu freezing that process). The issue is reported, and Xiaomi answer that will fix that bug.

Mi5s 3/64gb here.
It is indeed the best phone i've ever had. (Last one was a Galaxy S5 Neo, and a LG G3 before)

- The camera is great, but it could be a bit better under low light (the sensor is capable, but the software isn't quite there yet). If that is crucial to you, i would look for a S7. Front-facing camera is very good, too.

- Perfomance-wise, it is a beast. I've never had a single hiccup or something like that.

- Audio is good via headphones and bluetooth, but the speaker is a bit weak on the bass. It sounds thin, but has a good amount of volume.

- Fingerprint scanner is fast, but sometimes when i update roms manually it gets a bit laggy. Redoing the fingerprint input seems to solve this.

- It is very slippery!! If you intend on buying one, get yourself a case.

EDIT: Something i forgot to mention: It's been 6 months since the phone was released, and we still have not received the Android 7 updates. This has been my biggest disappointment with this phone, but it's somehow compensated by the fact that MIUI.eu is constantly updated with new features. Still, it's a bit sad that Xiaomi has forgotten about this phone.

Good luck, hope i was able to help you :)

Last edited:
Thanks for your answers guys :)

You quite confirmed my thoughts about the phone, really really good device for the price but a bit neglected when it comes to software support.

Let's wait a few weeks and see if we got any news about Nougat and the source code release... maybe prices will go a bit lower too in the meantime :D

I also went from the LG G3 to the Mi5s and wasn't expecting it to be this much better. The screen is much brighter, battery life is much better (80 to 100% better) and camera is miles better as well.
I'm on the xiaomi.eu stable 8.2.3 and it's fine, everything works flawlessly and i love the extra features of MIUI especially around automated tasks, scheduling battery saver for night time as well.
I don't understand the big deal about Nougat, it's not really a large improvement over Marshmallow. Also the Mi5 has Nougat but with the same MIUI 8 skin over it so what's the point.
Even gsmarena did a test of the Samsung S7 before and after Nougat and the battery life was almost the same.
Yes the software for the Mi5s is slow to be released but that's mainly because the Mi6 and MIUI9 is almost here so that's where their focus is right now.
The important thing is the current software for the Mi5s works pretty well.

Reactions: Tomin78
The disappointments are:
- The screen (under sunlight it's like white s**t).
- The camera (ohh the gimmick they had, big sensor, s**t software).
- Xiaomi mi4c has Nougat and this beast doesn't, honestly Xiaomi what the f**k.

Might be my last Xiaomi device, would move to ZTE or OnePlus

The disappointments are:

Agree, but screen is very good in sunlight. its bright, and no need to cover screen in dark to see what is writing there. About software update, is not a big deal, anyway will get MIUI 9 with their skin, so its not tooimportant to get Nougat today.
Camera need to be improved. Really not use full potencial of that big sensor.

Reactions: Tomin78
I had a Nexus 5 before the Mi5S 3/64

It works like a charm with .eu weekly release, the problem with the camera is that it doesn't has OIS.
Miui camera app.... not the best but good, perfectly clear colors under sunlight with HDR function.

I find the screen good too, even outside, the autocontrast make a good job, i don't use auto brightness.

The fingerprint works 90/95% times

The disappointments are:

My experience with OnePlus is terrible. At least Xiaomi release an OS that generally works. OnePlus has poor software development with little care for releasing ROMs that are full of massive bugs. Not to mention their devices have very average battery life and an annoying button for do not disturb meaning you cannot schedule do not disturb for night time (important feature for me anyway).

My experience with OnePlus is terrible. At least Xiaomi release an OS that generally works. OnePlus has poor software development with little care for releasing ROMs that are full of massive bugs. Not to mention their devices have very average battery life and an annoying button for do not disturb meaning you cannot schedule do not disturb for night time (important feature for me anyway).

That's why i am contemplating, i loved LG g2, the g3 was meh, the g4 was piece of art but ruined by bootloop, g5 failure, g6 tryhard region ****ups + snap821 + lower camera resolution (3 generations of phones no changes in cameras).

Eh, i wish they make remake of the g2 or pro version of the g4

I had the Mi 5 and was never happy with tbe GPS.

I bought the Mi 5s and regretted the decision because of all the bad feedback from forum members before the phone even arrived. I was considering to let it go back.

Then I received the phone, paid 70 Euros for customs clearance and unpacked it. Nice looks. I tested the GPS and it worked so well, I changed my mind and decided to give the phone a try.

Wow, the camera is great, it even has RAW support. Of course it's software could be improved, but hey it is still a great camera even with some limitations. What I do not really like is the fact that the camera is not flush with the case, because with this design, it collects quite some dust when using the phone with a TPU case.I use the Mofi Clear TPU case, works great. Absolutely non slippery.

What I also do not like is 2.5D ARC screens, it is a nightmare to find a Tempered Glass that looks decent after installing it on a 2.5D ARC screen.

Go for the 4GB 128 GB version, it is the best solution in my opinion.

I have the mi5s 4+128 version.
Performance and battery life is very good.
Screen is good, even under sunlight.
Camera is OK, not as good as samsung or htc flagships, but good for its price range.

I'm only complaining about fingerprint sensor, even in the latest weekly it works like s**t.

Using the manual mode you surely can get nice shots. This was taken around 10:00 p.m. in a low light place.

Full resolution pictures here: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8XXaDwk93frdG1BWEhZNHd2cVk

ISO 3200, 2500K white balance, 8s exposure.
ecb9cbfd95126ebcacf60ea7f79c75e9.jpg

Sent from my MI 5s using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Dr.MTR
Then I received the phone, paid 70 Euros for customs clearance and unpacked it. Nice looks. I tested the GPS and it worked so well, I changed my mind and decided to give the phone a try.
.I use the Mofi Clear TPU case, works great. Absolutely non slippery.

StardustOne, 70 euros for customs clearance sounds steep - I'm in Ireland and paid just €35. I figured there would be a standard EU charge. Also, where did you buy your case?

StardustOne, 70 euros for customs clearance sounds steep - I'm in Ireland and paid just €35. I figured there would be a standard EU charge. Also, where did you buy your case?
~€20 for Italy.
But I think that the tax could vary depending on the declared value on the invoice.

Xiaomi just realised Kernel source for Mi5s. Expect custom roms based in Nougat soon.

So it seems that I've been lucky for one time... I ended ordering one at a good price and I should receive it next week :)
Let's hope released source will translate in Google Pixel camera software for the Mi5S soon!

Reactions: Dr.MTR