Xiaomi Mi Wifi Router 3 - Alternative Firmware Padvan

Skol66

Members
Jan 30, 2016
Hi Guy,
I have seen that there is an alternative Firmware available for WiFi Router 3 from Padvan?
Has anyone tested this already?

Regards.

its Padavan, there's to be a thread on reddit inder openWRT but to be honest this is all over my head at the moment. I am looking to install an alternate firware so I can install an astrill or express VPN

Comparing astrill with express vpn, I recommend choosing the first one. They offer virtually the same benefits, but astrill has more servers locations, plus, costs less than express vpn. You can also find another decent vpns on bestvpnrating.com. This website helps me.

Here is the biggest question, once the firmware is compiled how do you install it? How are you gaining access via ssh on the Mi-3

Here goes guys. The developer version has dropbear instead of ssh. I've updated on the https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/xiaomi/mir3 page

OR

I'd recommend downgrading to 2.11.20 for this. I'm assuming that you understand the STOK bit otherwise read from openwrt mini wiki page. If anything is <ALL_CAPS> thats meant to be replaced by you manually without the "<" & ">" of course.
Happy hacking/flashing.

I've only managed to flash openwrt(Not on the R3 but on R1CM-mini & R1CL-nano) mind you. Not Padavan (or the other one PadoraBox or something). From what I understand it requires a different bootloader called Breed it seems. Don't have the time for it now in case it bricks the router. Will probably try that inJuly first week.

P.S.- I know how it feels when google translate fails you :rolleyes: mate. But this is not my own finding. Just got the instruction from http://www.right.com.cn/forum/thread-185797-1-1.html using Google Translate :);):).

Last edited:
Question is why people need SSH for the router, opening up a security hole isn't exactly what i'd call 'desirable' for Security standpoint.

How else would you try/load custom firmware without ssh over stock especially if you are a noob? ... with a serial cable? Don't think that's everyone's preferred cup of tea mate? Your point about security is true but that's almost always a lesson in hindsight right? Just like "backup regularly"! :rolleyes:;)

Last edited:
How else would you try/load custom firmware without ssh over stock especially a noob? ... with a serial cable? Don't think that's everyone's preferred cup of tea mate? Your point about security is true but that's almost always a lesson in hindsight right? Just like "backup regularly"! :rolleyes:;)
point taken but looking at the issues with these 'custom' firmwares their is a good case for why SSH is not opened by default and also why Xiaomi took the decision to block its access to the servers from EU.

You might want to try the Hong Kong version of the same SSH plugins to see if one exists if its important for your specific needs such as Firmware modifications. General consumers should if possible file issues with the product on the correct channels to get bugs fixed in Firmwares.