Wifi Roaming With Xiaomi Router 3c Possible?

Jogo99

Members
Aug 11, 2017
Hello,
I would like to build a guest internet in my house. In the cellar I have a zyxel g4100 hotspot router which makes me the DHCP.

question:
Is it possible to distribute 3 Xiaomi 3c routers in the house (see sketch) so that over the floors a wifi roaming with the same SSID is possible?

The first router is connected with LAN cable to the zyxel router. The other two router would have to be connected via wifi.

But all routers should also serve as Accesspoints for the clients?

is that possible? Can someone tell me exactly how I must configure the xiaomi router?

THX
Mike

Attachments

• wifi.jpg
    wifi.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 1,381
Hello,
I would like to build a guest internet in my house. In the cellar I have a zyxel g4100 hotspot router which makes me the DHCP.

question:
Is it possible to distribute 3 Xiaomi 3c routers in the house (see sketch) so that over the floors a wifi roaming with the same SSID is possible?

The first router is connected with LAN cable to the zyxel router. The other two router would have to be connected via wifi.

But all routers should also serve as Accesspoints for the clients?

is that possible? Can someone tell me exactly how I must configure the xiaomi router?

THX
Mike
Hi Mike,

The Xiaomi routers all have the capability to run in a AP mode 'Bridged' to your current SSID.

So you could setup the Guest nodes on the 1st Xiaomi router than have the other 2 Xiaomi routers AP Mode to that 1st one and you can set up Guest WiFi to work as you need it while keeping the rest of your network away from guests, such as they would not perhaps have access to your main SSID but to a Guest one e.g. GuestXiaomiNode which can only connect to the Xiaomi gear.

PS. Totally doable - the routers can support AP mode :)

Hello thanks for the information!
The problem will be that I can not use the guest mode because I need access to the original SSID. The zyxel router manages with printable coupons (username/password) the wifi accesses!
If I understand correctly then is the guest mode a closed network?
I think then the administration with the printable vouchers of the zyxel is no longer possible?!?

is there a possibility with all AP stay in the same SSID ?

Thanks

Hello thanks for the information!
The problem will be that I can not use the guest mode because I need access to the original SSID. The zyxel router manages with printable coupons (username/password) the wifi accesses!
If I understand correctly then is the guest mode a closed network?
I think then the administration with the printable vouchers of the zyxel is no longer possible?!?

is there a possibility with all AP stay in the same SSID ?

Thanks

I think you can connect the Xiaomi routers to the Zyxel SSID but then on the Xiaomi router create a guest network which people can connect to. I'd need to check more to be 100% sure but I am pretty sure that would work as the Xiaomi rotuer has Access Point mode, I think best thing is just to connect the Xiaomi stuff to your current SSID and then do some routing management to keep guests away from your private machines e.g. use a different Subnet or such. :)