[solved] Can't Reboot To Recovery From Os

I cant flash..sorry im a noob on this things .
There´s no way to made a flash file of this?

These steps are clear and should be easy to follow

Finally, I fix the reboot to recovery bug (Updater app) on my Kenzo.

I simply flashed the 'emmc_appsboot.mbn' file I extracted from latest MIUI Developers China ROM 7.9.21 (since xiaomi.eu is based on China ROM).

Thanks to @dogiex for the idea (https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/solved-cant-reboot-to-recovery-from-os.41559/#post-386437), and thanks to @ingbrzy for the confirmation flashing the file won't cause me some troubles.

Xiaomi.eu started removing this file since ROM 6.11.17 to protect people who unlocked their Bootloader UN-OFFICIALLY from getting bootloop if they upgrade the ROM.

For those who got problem with this reboot to recovery bug (can not boot to recovery from Updater app), here are the steps :
(WARNING : this is for OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER ONLY)
0. Backup important data on your phone to SD Card or PC ... better safe than sorry, right?
1. Extract the 'emmc_appsboot.mbn' file from latest MIUI Developers ROM
2. Boot your phone to Fastboot (power+vol down), connect to PC
3. Go to Commond Prompt in Windows (run as administrator)
4. Type : 'fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn', ENTER
5. Type : 'fastboot flash abootbak emmc_appsboot.mbn', ENTER
6. Reboot your phone and try reboot to recovery from Updater app.

Notes :
1. If fastboot won't run, maybe you need to install 'Minimal ADB & Fastboot 1.4.3'
2. link to the 'emmc_appsboot.mbn' file from latest MIUI Developers China ROM 7.9.21 for KENZO :
https://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=745425885120764569
3. I believe this same steps will also works for Kate & Redmi 3.

Screenshot : http://ibb.co/naQXW5

Links (fix reboot to recovery bug in Xiaomi.eu ROM, OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER only):
emmc_appsboot (KENZO_CHINA_Dev_ROM_7_9_21).zip
emmc_appsboot (KATE_GLOBAL_Dev_ROM_7_9_15).zip
emmc_appsboot (HM3_CHINA_Dev_ROM_7_9_21).zip

These steps are clear and should be easy to follow
Can you made some tutorial or video?
On my windows 10 i cant do that.
And i dont know the steps to go to adb by command lines.
Sorry but im noob with some parts of command prompt.

Attachments

• Capturar.JPG
    Capturar.JPG
    21.5 KB · Views: 621
@Soebianto: Of course my bootloader is officially unlocked. One question remains for me - can I take the mbn-file from the last ROM you posted here, because I'm still on 7.5.18 (too many bugs and unwanted changes in MIUI 9, I'm still waiting for a good one :))?

Can you made some tutorial or video?
On my windows 10 i cant do that.
And i dont know the steps to go to adb by command lines.
Sorry but im noob with some parts of command prompt.

I details the steps here :
https://xiaomi.eu/community/index.php?posts/387445

just follow it step by step, links to minimal fastboot is also there along with the links to the latest emmc file.

For the command prompt part, just copy and paste these lines.

Somehow i can't see the pict in my device, maybe tomorrow with pc

@Soebianto: Of course my bootloader is officially unlocked. One question remains for me - can I take the mbn-file from the last ROM you posted here, because I'm still on 7.5.18 (too many bugs and unwanted changes in MIUI 9, I'm still waiting for a good one :))?

what's your device? let me check

Last edited:
I can't see the picture, too, and I'm using my PC (Win 10).

@Soebianto: My device is HM3/ido :)

Ah right, I can see your signature using pc.
I download miui_HM3_7.5.19 and checked, the emmc_appsboot.mbn is different compare to miui_HM3_7.9.21, so may be better use the miui_HM3_7.5.19.

I'm trying to make a flashable zip file for this, gonna test it 1st on my Kenzo, then share here.

edit : flashable zip (for Kenzo) tested on my Kenzo successfully, and there is a HM3 / IDO version for your ROM (or you can use the Fastboot method if you want) :

https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/solved-cant-reboot-to-recovery-from-os.41559/#post-387445

Its like I said before. Must be other thing, if your brother's phone boots to recovery. I was in last Xiaomi.eu stable ROM and could not boot. So same situation different behavior...
I will try to look if someone else have this issue and if exist a easier solution.
Thanks anyway

I cant flash..sorry im a noob on this things .
There´s no way to made a flash file of this?

Can some one explain to me how to flash whit miflash please.

Check this out :
https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/solved-cant-reboot-to-recovery-from-os.41559/#post-387445

Last edited:
OMG. I just had some horrible 30 minutes. I flashed the mbn-file through fastboot just as written in post #18. But then my ido didn' t want to start, neither to system nor to Recovery (for maybe flash my TWRP backup). The MIUI logo flared up just for half a second, that was all. And to get to Fastboot again was also very very hard. After trying about 10-15 times to get to Fastboot it worked in the end. And what did happen? My bootloader was locked again :(. But with Unlock Tool I succeeded to unlock it again (with MiFlashUnlockToolV.2.2.406.5). It really strained my nerves, but now my ido is alive again :p:D. And reboot to Recovery through updater app is working again :).
@Soebianto: Thank you very much for you effort and your help.

OMG. I just had some horrible 30 minutes. I flashed the mbn-file through fastboot just as written in post #18. But then my ido didn' t want to start, neither to system nor to Recovery (for maybe flash my TWRP backup). The MIUI logo flared up just for half a second, that was all. And to get to Fastboot again was also very very hard. After trying about 10-15 times to get to Fastboot it worked in the end. And what did happen? My bootloader was locked again :(. But with Unlock Tool I succeeded to unlock it again (with MiFlashUnlockToolV.2.2.406.5). It really strained my nerves, but now my ido is alive again :p:D. And reboot to Recovery through updater app is working again :).
@Soebianto: Thank you very much for you effort and your help.

Wow, what an experience you had there.

So it seems that different device (mine is Kenzo) react differently flashing that file, I flashed once using the fastboot method and 3 times using the TWRP (i was testing the flashable zip), no bootloop.

So, i will add some info regarding bootloop, locked bootloader and MiUnlockTool to unlock the boatloader to post #18, thx for sharing with us.

... No, I don't think we need to flash this file every time we update Dev ROM, we only need to if Xiaomi update / change this file...
Just for your info: I just updated my ido from MIUI 8 (7.5.18) to MIUI 9 (7.10.12) and reboot to Recovery from updater app is still possible without reflashing the emmc-file :D

When you take a look at the properties of the file it is much older: 2008-12-31 or 2009-01-01
I just extracted it today from China dev 7.10.12
Very strange :confused:

True, don't know why ALL FILES inside MIUI ROMs are 'so old'..maybe there is a reason to it, but the content of the emmc change with every new ROM, i compared some dev roms.

Reactions: MeiGuddet
Finally, I fix the reboot to recovery bug (Updater app) on my Kenzo.

I simply flashed the 'emmc_appsboot.mbn' file I extracted from latest MIUI Developers China ROM 7.9.21 (since xiaomi.eu is based on China ROM).

Thanks to @dogiex for the idea (https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/solved-cant-reboot-to-recovery-from-os.41559/#post-386437), and thanks to @ingbrzy for the confirmation flashing the file won't cause me some troubles.

Xiaomi.eu started removing this file since ROM 6.11.17 to protect people who unlocked their Bootloader UN-OFFICIALLY from getting bootloop if they upgrade the ROM.

For those who got problem with this reboot to recovery bug (can not boot to recovery from Updater app), here are the steps :

WARNING (really important) :
1. This is for OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER ONLY.
2. MAKE SURE your device is USING the SAME Mi Account you used to unlocked the bootloader.
3. Turn on USB Debugging & OEM Unlocking in the Developer Options.
4. Make sure your bootloader is still unlock (Fastboot mode, type 'fastboot oem device-info').
5. After flashing this file, some people had their bootloader re-locked and bootloop (it was smooth for me, not re-locked bootloader or bootloop), fortunately once you unlocked the bootloader officially, you can use Mi Unlock tool to unlock it again without asking for permission.

6. Backup important data on your phone to SD Card or PC ... better safe than sorry, right?).

Please be warned that if you stopped using that mi account with your device for quite sometime (you deleted the mi account from your device), there is a possibility that your unlock permission revoked by Xiaomi, if this happened then you need to ask for unlock permission again (this happened to a friend here who tried this, fortunatelly he got the permission and all is good now).

SOME NOTES :
1. file 'emmc_appsboot.mbn' inside these zip files was extracted from the official MIUI China Developer ROM.
2. Use the same or lower version of 'emmc_appsboot.mbn' file compare to your current ROM version.
3. if bootloop happens after flashing, don't panic, just boot to fastboot & unlock the bootloader using Mi Unlock tool.

(Flashing via Fastboot) :

1). Extract the 'emmc_appsboot.mbn' file from latest MIUI Developers ROM or simply download from links below:

Links (fix reboot to recovery bug in Xiaomi.eu ROM, OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED BOOTLOADER only):
for KENZO / Redmi Note 3 Pro :

for KATE / Redmi Note 3 Pro Special Edition :

for IDO / HM3 :

for LAND / HM3S :

for LIBRA / Mi 4c :
emmc_appsboot (MI4C_CHINA_Dev_ROM_7_9_14).zip (for LIBRA xiaomi.eu v7.9.14 and up)​

2). Boot your phone to Fastboot (power+vol down), connect to PC
3). Go to Commond Prompt in Windows (run as administrator)
4). Type : "fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn", press ENTER
5). Type : "fastboot flash abootbak emmc_appsboot.mbn", press ENTER
6). Reboot your phone and try reboot to recovery from Updater app.

Notes :
1. If fastboot won't run, maybe you need to install 'Minimal ADB & Fastboot 1.4.3'.
2. Screenshot (when i was flashing the file) : http://ibb.co/naQXW5

You can also flash via TWRP these flashable zip files below :

(Flashing via TWRP) :

for KENZO / Redmi Note 3 Pro :

for KATE / Redmi Note 3 Pro Special Edition :
TWRP_emmc_appsboot_miui_HMNote3ProtwGlobal_7.9.15.zip (for KATE xiaomi.eu v7.9.15 and up)​

for IDO / HM3 :

for LAND / HM3S :
TWRP_emmc_appsboot_miui_HM3S_7.9.21.zip (for LAND / HM3S xiaomi.eu v7.9.21 and up)
for LIBRA / Mi 4c :
TWRP_emmc_appsboot_miui_MI4c_7.9.14.zip (for LIBRA xiaomi.eu v7.9.14 and up)

Plese could you explain step 5.?

In zip there is only aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn file

Plese could you explain step 5.?

In zip there is only aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn file

Abootbak is backup aboot (bootloader) , read somewhere this backup aboot will be used if aboot is corrupted.

Zip file also write to abootbok, fastboot method or zip file is the same, only zip file is easier for some people.

package_extract_file("firmware-update/emmc_appsboot.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/aboot");
package_extract_file("firmware-update/emmc_appsboot.mbn", "/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/abootbak");​

I have this bug on my Redmi Note 3 Pro Special Edition, but hesitate to try and fix it.
The reason is that it is not as easy to unlock the bootloader as described in this thread.
Only 6.7.14 and special instructions worked for me. Bootloop and locked bootloader again would be a nightmare.
Also, will it matter if you have flashed SuperSU or not?
Can anyone running latest weekly xiaomi.eu confirm?

Btw, it is not possible to flash TWRP_emmc_appsboot_miui_HMNote3ProtwGlobal_7.9.15.zip if you have used the Kenzo version of ZCX TWRP on your Kate.

getprop("ro.product.device") == "kate" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "kate" || abort("This package is for \"kate\" devices; this is a \"" + getprop("ro.product.device") + "\".");

Normally once you officially UBL, it should be easy to re-unlock if your bootloader get locked (for example from flashing the emmc file), unless maybe, you had not using the mi account for a long time and your permission revoked.

As per my understanding, the script check the ROM not the TWRP version, so it should works for you, but if it's not then you can flash the emmc file via fastboot.

My experience offlashing the emmc file was really smooth, not bootlooder locked and bootloop, I have been using xiaomi.eu since Dec, so my emmc file was really old, and I was using ZCX TWRP and rooted when I flashed the emmc file, dm-verify was disable in TWRP, I don't have any idea if these conditions make any diff or not.

And of course if you like to flash the file, make sure you read the warnings part of the guide and follow it, it should help you in case your bootloader get re-locked.

Another way to fix this bug is by following the steps described by this thread owner, maybe it's safer (no bootloader re-locked? ) since you update the emmc file by flashing the official miui rom.

Btw, it took me 2 days to get the unlock permission for my new mi max 2 and I unlocked it easily on miui global stable rom 8.5.8.0, it seems that getting permission is much easier and quicker nowadays.

Last edited:
C:\Users\Carmelo>fastboot flash aboot emmc_appsboot.mbn
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'aboot' (585 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.021s]
writing 'aboot'...
FAILED (remote: Critical partition flashing is not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.024s

C:\Users\Carmelo>fastboot flash abootbak emmc_appsboot.mbn
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes
sending 'abootbak' (585 KB)...
OKAY [ 0.021s]
writing 'abootbak'...
FAILED (remote: Partition flashing is not allowed)
finished. total time: 0.024s

ok guys i solved, i simply used the mi unlock tool and in some seconds i unlocked the phone and then started correctly :)

Last edited:
Reactions: dogiex
so,i followed all the steps,they worked without an issue but my problem still isnt fixed i'm running 8.5.3.0 stable

What device? xiaomi.eu 8.5.3.0 ?

Which emmc file did you flash?

update : just uploaded emmc file from official MIUI China Stable ROM 8.5.3.0.

Last edited:
Reactions: dogiex