New Redmi 4a No Vibration. Firmware Bug Or Hardware Issue...?

gradinaruvasile

Members
Nov 20, 2017
Hi,
I recently bought a Redmi 4a for the wife. I never checked the vibration with the stock rom, i installed the latest Official Dev rom on it (Android 7.1.2, MIUI 9 7.11.16). I saw that the vibration did not work, nor in actual notifications or even in test mode (the built in test app). Figured it is the new OS, i did a wipe and tried again, no luck. Unlocked the bootloader and installed the 7.11.23 EU version (based on Android 6)via TWRP, does not work. Wiped and installed the EU Stable 8 version, the same results.
I saw mentioned vibration issues here and there but those seemed to be linked to particular profiles. Maybe i missed something, is there a bug in all these firmware versions that completely disables the vibration?
Or i am looking at RMA?

BTW if i need to send the phone in RMA and re-lock the bootloader, how can i do it?

Edit:
The re-locking can be done with the fastboot images. via either the MiFlash tool or just launching the provided batch/bash scripts that use fastboot.
Edit 2:
Definitely hardware issue. If the phone is put on vibration a faint clicking sound can be heard in the upper speaker area. Also something small seems to be moving inside the phone in the same area if shaken. The phone was never dropped so it seems it is a production or transport/handling issue.

Last edited: