Some question for the mix 3 owner .

DangerousRon

Members
Jun 3, 2016
Hi , I currently own a mix 2 and I want to buy the mix 3 but I got some reserve as off right now and I wish to get some thought about some things .

First , is the fact that the mix 3 is not waterproof like every new flagship these days have is a big compromise compare to what the mix 3 has to offer ??

2nd I'm in Canada and I wonder if I should wait for the global launch version or go with the Chinese one on AliExpress. ( Maybe they will make it with more band for the global )

I currently use xiaomi.eu ROM and I see that there is already a non official ROM with language pack out and I know TWRP official and xiaomi.eu ROM will come soon enough .

Should I take the 6gb Variant or the 8gb one . Is it so much of a difference between both that I should get 8 GB ?? Knowing I won't keep my phone more then 2 years ??.

I'm pretty scared about the slider ... It's a very good idea but what you guys think about rain , dust pocket dirt , do you guys think the mix 3 as of the time you got it can keep it up and stay good to do his job ?? .
Anyway as of now those are my question I think of .
Please help me clarifying some .
Thx

If you check the band support by the mix 3 ,the 6gb version is limited but the 8gb works in global. When you check the physical design of mix 3, you wont think it is waterproofing.

If you check the band support by the mix 3 ,the 6gb version is limited but the 8gb works in global. When you check the physical design of mix 3, you wont think it is waterproofing.

Are you sure about the band differences between the 6gb and the 8 GB?? Where did you see that?

I would not want to use the Mix 3 in any kind of agressive environment.

Wait for Mix 4 and hope for the best?

I would not want to use the Mix 3 in any kind of agressive environment.

Wait for Mix 4 and hope for the best?

What do you mean by aggressive environment ?? I'm a truck driver and I never broke a glass or a phone as I'm very protective for my phone. But do you think that pocket dust , dirty and rain while talking under light rain could damage de phone ???

What do you mean by aggressive environment ?? I'm a truck driver and I never broke a glass or a phone as I'm very protective for my phone. But do you think that pocket dust , dirty and rain while talking under light rain could damage de phone ???

Possibly, yes.

Reactions: DangerousRon
Possibly, yes.

Alright thanks a lot ... I'm really sad about that I was waiting so much for the mi Mix ... And with the big ugly notch of the mi 8 pro I think I will wait in January to see what they have to offer ... With the rumor of the new mi 9 with a 48 mp sensor I hope it won't have the big ugly notch ..

Alright thanks a lot ... I'm really sad about that I was waiting so much for the mi Mix ... And with the big ugly notch of the mi 8 pro I think I will wait in January to see what they have to offer ... With the rumor of the new mi 9 with a 48 mp sensor I hope it won't have the big ugly notch ..

I like the Mix 3, the Mix 2s is a good phone, but too small - not a real Mix.

But I could do without the slider.

In 6 months or so there will be complaints if the slider mechanism is too open to dirt & humidity.

It should be fine in an indoor office environment.

Go with the Huawei mate 20 pro or if you have less money the p20 pro.. both are great devices, waterproof, and with a case they're more suitable for a truck driver in my opinion

I'm too much in love with MIUI

I have been using some older Xiaomi phones in northern Europe, which is cold damp and dirty.
Especially in our gardens.
Terrible environment for any electronics equipment.

None are waterproof of course, but none have anything that opens up like the slider does.

They have survived so far with no problems, but I always have them in a good flipcase.

But I would not be surprised if after a few years there might be beginning corrosion somewhere inside.

But when I got them I figured on a life expectancy of 2 years - anything more is a bonus.

I did once buy a used Samsung waterproof phone for my wife.
But it really sucked, as only a Samsung can.

You could always look at CAT, they make industrial rugged phones.

Last edited:
I got one and can tell you the gap between body and display is minimal. Also you'll get a cover that sits tight and covers the part on the top.
I don't think you'll be outside in the dirt and take one selfie after another. Most of the time the slider will be closed and I can't imagine a lot of dust getting into the mechanism (maybe a little but nothing that will block or scratch the slider). I tried to snap some pictures but this is quite difficult...

https://ibb.co/V3jb2NS
https://ibb.co/CwzPTW1
https://ibb.co/5M8X10h
https://ibb.co/CVxNPbD

About the Frequencies: I live in Switzerland and bought the 6GB variant. The only "swiss" LTE band not supported by the phone is B6 but this is also not supported on global version. WCDMA and GSM all bands supported and working well.
The ROM preinstalled is China Stable with an english option. As soon as there is a working xiaomi.eu Rom I will switch.
Battery life is amazing! 12h on battery, still 78% left (Wifi, Mobile and Bluetooth on) 1h screen on time. (I uninstalled and disabled every bloatware I found and restricted background activity per app where not needed).
Also blazing fast fingerprint reader. I'm in love ;)

One thing though: This phone is heavy! 218g, you will notice that. The weight distribution is not optimal. The weight is more on the top of the phone. It just feels like that, it's perfectly centered but if you have small hands you probably can't grab it to the half and it could tilt over your fingers...

Last edited:
Well, it is only 9g. heavier than the Mix1, slightly smaller, but somewhat thicker.

So size and weight should not be a problem, if you are used to the Mix1.
But the top-heavy bit was interesting.

"Masculine" phones, I suppose.

The problem with dirt & moisture is accumulation over time, I'm afraid.

Do you open the slider every time you use the phone?
If you can avoid that, maybe not such a problem in the garden.

There is no need to open the slider every time you use the phone. For me its more a way to hide camera and sensors to enjoy the nice screen to body ratio ;) I'm not a selfie type... You can however assign the camera app, which takes gorgeous pictures by the way, as slider action and shoot pictures with the back camera. but you are forced to unlock your phone if you do that. (maybe face unlock will work to bypass that, didn't try).

I'm used to a Mi5s which got laggy after the last few updates. I clearly noticed the weight difference. Also while typing I made so many errors I probably wrote the whole text twice. I'm not used to such a big phone yet :)

Last edited:
I got one and can tell you the gap between body and display is minimal. Also you'll get a cover that sits tight and covers the part on the top.
I don't think you'll be outside in the dirt and take one selfie after another. Most of the time the slider will be closed and I can't imagine a lot of dust getting into the mechanism (maybe a little but nothing that will block or scratch the slider). I tried to snap some pictures but this is quite difficult...

https://ibb.co/V3jb2NS
https://ibb.co/CwzPTW1
https://ibb.co/5M8X10h
https://ibb.co/CVxNPbD

About the Frequencies: I live in Switzerland and bought the 6GB variant. The only "swiss" LTE band not supported by the phone is B6 but this is also not supported on global version. WCDMA and GSM all bands supported and working well.
The ROM preinstalled is China Stable with an english option. As soon as there is a working xiaomi.eu Rom I will switch.
Battery life is amazing! 12h on battery, still 78% left (Wifi, Mobile and Bluetooth on) 1h screen on time. (I uninstalled and disabled every bloatware I found and restricted background activity per app where not needed).
Also blazing fast fingerprint reader. I'm in love ;)

One thing though: This phone is heavy! 218g, you will notice that. The weight distribution is not optimal. The weight is more on the top of the phone. It just feels like that, it's perfectly centered but if you have small hands you probably can't grab it to the half and it could tilt over your fingers...

Wow thanks for the great answer !! This is what I was looking for . I don't mind a bit more weight just for the screen to body ratio . I really love MIUI and can't go to Samsung , lg ,iOS , pixel , Huawei etc etc . I think MIUI is a perfect balance of everything. I love how Xiaomi gives great phone with great innovative technology. I will wait for the mwc next in January and will make a decision to order my Mix 3 or wait for the next 48 megapixel phone they tease . I'll see ...
Thanks for all the feedbacks guys .

Wow thanks for the great answer !! This is what I was looking for . I don't mind a bit more weight just for the screen to body ratio . I really love MIUI and can't go to Samsung , lg ,iOS , pixel , Huawei etc etc . I think MIUI is a perfect balance of everything. I love how Xiaomi gives great phone with great innovative technology. I will wait for the mwc next in January and will make a decision to order my Mix 3 or wait for the next 48 megapixel phone they tease . I'll see ...
Thanks for all the feedbacks guys .

you're welcome :)
I'd wait for global version or xiaomi.eu rom. I had big troubles with google contact and calendar sync, could not resolve it and now moved them to my owncloud. Also permission issues with whatsapp and play services/store but I got that working again. Still I'm very happy with the purchase.

I bought a Mix 3 and after 2 hours of usage sold it. The display has very poor quality. On low brightness in a dark room (before sleeping) the display has some dark and bright areas. This Oled panel has a serious uniformity problem. Just check it with Oled tools from Play. Choose a last test in a dark room. Set the brightness (in the test) to low...

I bought a Mix 3 and after 2 hours of usage sold it. The display has very poor quality. On low brightness in a dark room (before sleeping) the display has some dark and bright areas. This Oled panel has a serious uniformity problem. Just check it with Oled tools from Play. Choose a last test in a dark room. Set the brightness (in the test) to low...

This is nonsense, it was evidently just a problem with your device since nobody else has the same issue. The display is top notch, it works very well in both bright and dark environments.

Reactions: Jaguargod
This is nonsense, it was evidently just a problem with your device since nobody else has the same issue. The display is top notch, it works very well in both bright and dark environments.
XcUJZAt.jpg

Exactly. Your device had a problem, nobody else has reported this, ergo it was a problem with that particular device. Did you disclose the problem to the unfortunate person you sold it to?

Exactly. Your device had a problem, nobody else has reported this, ergo it was a problem with that particular device. Did you disclose the problem to the unfortunate person you sold it to?
Of course. He has no problem with it because wont sit in a dark room with a very low brightness test utility ever.
So is it really faulty? My Mi 8 screen is similar too.

My screens looks the same with this utility but you won't notice any brightness differences in daily (and nightly) use... The only thing I notice is some motion blur.