[Whyred/Redmi Note 5 Pro] Do the Xiaomi.eu ROMs trigger anti-rollback?

DewanNaeem

Members
Aug 8, 2018
Hi.
I recently bought a whyred device and didn't really know about the anti-rollback thing. So my phone updated to the Global Stable ROM that triggers anti-rollback. My bootloader is still locked at the moment, but I'll unlock it today. (I had a waiting period.)

My questions are simple.

1. Will a whyred device with Anti 3 upgrade to Anti 4 if flashed with a Xiaomi.eu ROM?
2. Will a whyred device with Anti 4 enabled get bricked if flashed with a Xiaomi.eu ROM?
3. Will a whyred device with Anti 4 enabled, and AOSP or similar custom ROMs in use get bricked if flashed with a Xiaomi.eu ROM?

Thank you. I still haven't done anything to the device and would like to be safe. I love EU ROMs, so I'd like to use them if possible.

1. It should upgrade to to a V4 rom, but at the minute there are no V4 stable EU roms, just Beta ones.
2. Yes and no. I was on Global stable 9.5.19 and tried to flash EU 9.5.14 and managed to brick my phone. I'm now awaiting Mi flash authorization to fix my phone. If I'd gone to a V4 EU Beta rom, it would have been ok, but I wouldn't have been able to drop back to a stable EU rom, until the V4 stable rom comes out.
3. If your on V4, don't go back to a V3 rom, no matter who created it. As things currently stand, going from V4 to V3 WILL BRICK your phone. At some point in the future i'm expecting you will be able to go back to V3, but at the minute it will just bricks phones.

1. It should upgrade to to a V4 rom, but at the minute there are no V4 stable EU roms, just Beta ones.
2. Yes and no. I was on Global stable 9.5.19 and tried to flash EU 9.5.14 and managed to brick my phone. I'm now awaiting Mi flash authorization to fix my phone. If I'd gone to a V4 EU Beta rom, it would have been ok, but I wouldn't have been able to drop back to a stable EU rom, until the V4 stable rom comes out.
3. If your on V4, don't go back to a V3 rom, no matter who created it. As things currently stand, going from V4 to V3 WILL BRICK your phone. At some point in the future i'm expecting you will be able to go back to V3, but at the minute it will just bricks phones.

Wow, I had the same idea. I'm on 9.5.19 Official Global Stable and I was planning the latest Miui 9 Xiaomi.eu Stable Release, wich is EU 9.5.14. Maybe it includes the firmware folder and ARB is triggered. Thanks for posting this.

I have two new WHYRED (Redmi Note 5 Pro global version 4/64 GB,10.0.4.0 OEIMIFH).
Once my 360 hours are done I wanted to unlock and install twrp-3.2.3-2-whyred.img.
Could I use TWPR to flash xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote5Pro_V10.0.2.0.OEICNFH_v10-8.1 even if the WHYRED's do have Global Xiaomi Stock Rom 10.0.4.0 OEIMIFH ? Is it o.k. because both are V4 or will it brick my phones because I go back from a .4 ROM to a .2 ROM ?
regards S. Oliver

I have two new WHYRED (Redmi Note 5 Pro global version 4/64 GB,10.0.4.0 OEIMIFH).
Once my 360 hours are done I wanted to unlock and install twrp-3.2.3-2-whyred.img.
Could I use TWPR to flash xiaomi.eu_multi_HMNote5Pro_V10.0.2.0.OEICNFH_v10-8.1 even if the WHYRED's do have Global Xiaomi Stock Rom 10.0.4.0 OEIMIFH ? Is it o.k. because both are V4 or will it brick my phones because I go back from a .4 ROM to a .2 ROM ?
regards S. Oliver

You'll be fine. You just can't go back any further than 9.5.19. There was a 9.5.13 EU ROM that bricked my phone, but i was running 9.5.19 Global at the time and wasn't aware of the ARB implementation. That ROM has since done a disappearing act. I was hoping that EU 10.0.6.0 was available for the Note 5 by now.

Reactions: S.Oliver
Hi all.

I've reserved a Redmi Note 5 [CN]. My plan was to use xiaomi.eu betas, as i'm used to in our 3 Xiaomi phones.

But after reading these kind of threads, i want to know a ver y important question.

I guess the phone will arrive with a typical 9.5 Global Stable ROM [anti3?] and bootloader should be open. I could flash xiaomi.eu weekly 8.12.13 for example. And one week later i flash 8.12.20. Then, just imagine there's a severe bug in the ROM and i want to go back to 8.12.13. MIUI version will be usually the same, but:
- Could it lead to a bricked phone?
- In case MIUI version is upgraded to a new revision inside same mayor.minor version (for example from 10.2.5 to 10.2.6), then going back to a previous revision will result in a bricked phone? This revision upgrades are not noticeable in weekly betas, you can only see mayor.minor version.
- If the phone comes with anti3, flashing a modern xiaomi.eu beta ROM with MIUI 10 will upgrade it to anti4? (@ingbrzy answered NO on August)

Last night i also read about screen image retention/ghosting/"burn in" and today i read about ARB on this device (it's not active on Redmi Note 6 Pro, for example). I could cancel the order before it's too late.

Hi JoseCSS,
I purchased the global WHYRED versions and they came with locked bootloader and 350 hours waiting time to unlock, but I did not need to ask for an unlock permission anymore, even with a new account that I created. (One Account can only unlock 1 device within 30 days, but I need both unlocked for Christmas to flash Xiaomi.EU ROM, Magisk, AF+ and Titanium Backup) .
The Whyred was on MIUI 10 and updated to 10.0.6.0 (OEIMIFH), claiming security updates from 2018-11-01.

To my understanding Anti Rollback Protection does cluster certain generations of ROM's but not individual ROM revisions.
Within a cluster (currently V4) you may change forth and back, but you cannot go back to a V3 ROM.
Redmi 6 Pro (Sakura) does have ARB too, according to Xiaomi.EU and with the current ROM's it should be enabled.
You need to check what rollback index you are on and what the index of your Xiaomi.EU Rom will be.
http://en.miui.com/thread-2340434-1-1.html
For China Version/ROM there is another Info in #2 https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/how-to/index-redmi-note-5-pro-miui-roms-t3816343

I do have a shenchao td4310 and a huaxing nt36672 LCM fhd video mode dsi panel and they differed a lot in color (cold blue versus warm yellow) brightness etc. Settings are the same. However as both devices are Christmas gift, I can not judge on the root cause and whether one could make them look more similar.

I cannot yet see any ghosting and reports say ghosting would not even be permanent ?
Maybe its a new google branding feature rather than a damaged screen.... ;-)

Hope that helps.....

Reactions: JoseCSS
Hi JoseCSS,
I purchased the global WHYRED versions and they came with locked bootloader and 350 hours waiting time to unlock, but I did not need to ask for an unlock permission anymore, even with a new account that I created. (One Account can only unlock 1 device within 30 days, but I need both unlocked for Christmas to flash Xiaomi.EU ROM, Magisk, AF+ and Titanium Backup) .
The Whyred was on MIUI 10 and updated to 10.0.6.0 (OEIMIFH), claiming security updates from 2018-11-01.

To my understanding Anti Rollback Protection does cluster certain generations of ROM's but not individual ROM revisions.
Within a cluster (currently V4) you may change forth and back, but you cannot go back to a V3 ROM.
Redmi 6 Pro (Sakura) does have ARB too, according to Xiaomi.EU and with the current ROM's it should be enabled.
You need to check what rollback index you are on and what the index of your Xiaomi.EU Rom will be.
For China Version/ROM there is another Info in #2 https://forum.xda-developers.com/redmi-note-5-pro/how-to/index-redmi-note-5-pro-miui-roms-t3816343

I do have a shenchao td4310 and a huaxing nt36672 LCM fhd video mode dsi panel and they differed a lot in color (cold blue versus warm yellow) brightness etc. Settings are the same. However as both devices are Christmas gift, I can not judge on the root cause and whether one could make them look more similar.

I cannot yet see any ghosting and reports say ghosting would not even be permanent ?

Hope that helps.....
First of all... Thanks!

I wanted to point out 2 things:

- The RN5 i reserved is CN version with Global ROM. So i assume it will come with unlocked bootloader and MIUI Global Stable 9.5 or 9.6 (maybe anti 3). My preocupation is only about switching between weekly betas, i won't change to a stable release which may brick phone, as you make a backwards version jump). Anyway, your link doesn't clarify anything about xiaomi.eu ROMs. Some people say xiaomi.eu have ARB files removed from "firmware-update" folder, so it won't trigger ARB upgrade. Anyway, as i plan to use newest versions, ther would be no problem there.

- About ghosting... i read a post flaming Tianma TD4310 panl, but i don't know if it's exclusive of that panel, if it affects a small/big percentage of them, or if it even affects other brands panel. I whatched some YouTube videos with severe burn in problems (switching from a game to a plain color app revealed reminiscences of many of the items/icons/text of the game). I hope the vendor don't disappear if this ghosting is on my unit.

Guys I've just unlocked my whyred bootloader and I'm on MIUI 10.0.6.0. Can I flash the latest MIUI 10 xiaomi.eu ROM? How about AOSP ROMS like Pixel Experience(Pie) or Resurrection (Oreo)? My question is if I can switch between them without triggering the anti-rollback, I mean if I don't like xiaomi.eu or AOSP to flash the other one or Official MIUI...

Guys I've just unlocked my whyred bootloader and I'm on MIUI 10.0.6.0. Can I flash the latest MIUI 10 xiaomi.eu ROM? How about AOSP ROMS like Pixel Experience(Pie) or Resurrection (Oreo)? My question is if I can switch between them without triggering the anti-rollback, I mean if I don't like xiaomi.eu or AOSP to flash the other one or Official MIUI...
I don't think you could flash AOSP, maybe a Resurrection specificly made for whyred.

About versions... As you can read here, you need yo check which anti rollback version your device is in. Then, you could ask again with more data in your hand.

Hi JoseCSS,

Hope that helps.....
Thanks, it helped.

Finally it came with unlocked bootloader and Global ROM v9.5.0.17 (anti 3).

Flashed TWRP without any problems, flashed xiaomi.eu weekly 8.12.27 without any problems. Anti is still on v3 :)

The LED panel is a Shenchao TD4310, white color seems much less blue than my Redmi 5. I'd say it's a "pure white", but i don't have much panels to compare which is the best. It seems ther's no image retention effect.

Regards to all ;)

As long as i know .EU Roms doesn't have ARB, they are not ARB3 neither ARB4, they just don't trigger ARB.

At this moment i'm using last stable .EU 10.2 and i'm still ARB3 (because i never flashed an official ARB4 rom before). If you are ARB4 and install the ROM you wont get bricked, you will still be ARB4, it never will change that with these ROMs.

Reactions: JoseCSS
As long as i know .EU Roms doesn't have ARB, they are not ARB3 neither ARB4, they just don't trigger ARB.

At this moment i'm using last stable .EU 10.2 and i'm still ARB3 (because i never flashed an official ARB4 rom before). If you are ARB4 and install the ROM you wont get bricked, you will still be ARB4, it never will change that with these ROMs.
Thanks for the additional info.

I only can talk about my own case, and ARB wasn't changed after changing from Global to xiaomi.eu ROM.

One question more for all the people here... if i would change again to official Global ROM some time in the future, and assuming ARB is still on 3, which is the preferred method:
- Use TWRP to flash official ROM (easiest method for me :) )
- Use a fastboot official ROM and CMD to flash it
- Use MiFlash to flash official ROM

When you flash an official ROM, i assume the TWRP recovery gets overwritten by Mi Recovery, no problem with that, as official OTA updates may rely on official recovery. But the most important thing is to keep the bootloader open. In those 3 cases, do you get a prompt to close the bootloader, does the bootloader keep open, or will the bootloader be closed?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited: