Xiaomi mi 8 from china

latent

Members
Jan 19, 2019
Hey all , i guess that there are many similar questions (that i couldnt find tho) about that issue

My wife bought last September a Xiaomi mi 8 in Beijing, She bought it in a official xiaomi shop and asked for international version . After leaving the city she found out that she cant install google play store without sdk and when she came back to Israel she found out that there are plenty of weird bugs such as No notification from apps like whatapp and mail , almost no gps signal , alerts about harmful apps (games that came with the phone ) . None of this issues related to the settings (i've checked )

1. How do i check what version /rom is installed on phone?
2. Is there a way to "westernized" the phone to a version similar to xiaomi phones that sold outside china?

Thanks all !

1. How do i check what version /rom is installed on phone?
You can check in "about device" or "my device" under settings and check the miui version. If it has the letters CN then it is chinese rom.
To learn more about the subject, please read here >> http://en.miui.com/thread-348591-1-1.html
2. Is there a way to "westernized" the phone to a version similar to xiaomi phones that sold outside china?
That's the global rom sir, and you need to unlock the phone's boot loader first to migrate from chinese to global rom.
If you are going to install the eu rom here then no problem about the language as it is translated and is already "westernized" for your need.
BUT again, you need to have the phone's bootloader unlocked first then install the correct version of twrp in the phone to enable you to install the eu rom(s) here.

You can check in "about device" or "my device" under settings and check the miui version. If it has the letters CN then it is chinese rom.
To learn more about the subject, please read here >> http://en.miui.com/thread-348591-1-1.html

That's the global rom sir, and you need to unlock the phone's boot loader first to migrate from chinese to global rom.
If you are going to install the eu rom here then no problem about the language as it is translated and is already "westernized" for your need.
BUT again, you need to have the phone's bootloader unlocked first then install the correct version of twrp in the phone to enable you to install the eu rom(s) here.

Thanks for the detailed replay. The MIUI version is : MIUI V10.1.2.0 PEACNFI | Stable 2.1G

i guess that the CN in the peacnf means its a Chinese rom . Doing the procedure you described can help us transform it to intentional version ? Is there a guide for that ? ( it might be in the link you added for the first question ? )

Do you think that the bugs i mentioned in the post are related to the version?

Thanks again

Thanks for the detailed replay. The MIUI version is : MIUI V10.1.2.0 PEACNFI | Stable 2.1G

i guess that the CN in the peacnf means its a Chinese rom . Doing the procedure you described can help us transform it to intentional version ? Is there a guide for that ? ( it might be in the link you added for the first question ? )

Do you think that the bugs i mentioned in the post are related to the version?

Thanks again
I'm not sure about the bugs and the detailed procedure for migrating to global rom. Let's wait for someone who has first hand experience about it.
As there is anti-rollback feature activated in that phone.... one mistake and it could get bricked.
First thing's first.... you need to apply to have the bootloader of the phone unlocked. It could take time.

I'm not sure about the bugs and the detailed procedure for migrating to global rom. Let's wait for someone who has first hand experience about it.
As there is anti-rollback feature activated in that phone.... one mistake and it could get bricked.
First thing's first.... you need to apply to have the bootloader of the phone unlocked. It could take time.

Where do i apply for that?
is that is the place ? (https://en.miui.com/unlock/)
i see things on the net that it takes 360 hours or even more? is the phone usable during that time?

Where do i apply for that?
is that is the place ? (https://en.miui.com/unlock/)
i see things on the net that it takes 360 hours or even more? is the phone usable during that time?
Yes, you got the link right. I'm not sure about the waiting period, I read people's comment that they have to wait up to 720 hours. For me unlock was instant. Some said that if you are a member of the official english miui forum and you've reach the tier 3 level which is the platinum level then unlocking is automatic. I'm not 100% sure if that is correct.
And yes the phone will be usable just like in normal scenario while waiting.
There will be a point when the unlocker tool will ask you log-in and to bind your account to the phone and if you are indeed given a waiting period, please DON"T LOG OUT of your account, otherwise the waiting period will be reset and start over again.