Smart Space Heater S - Critical Issue

I don’t know if this makes any sense but what do you think to create a Telegram group about this issue? So we can all talk easily about that and stay tuned. I think the automation to turn off my heater worked for the first time minutes ago and I think the temperature is now showing correctly when the heater is on. Let me see what happens next!

AsWorked? But the device turned off with the temperature set by you?

AsWorked? But the device turned off with the temperature set by you?

Yes, I think so because I received this notification that I have with the automation.

FB2216C4-E7BA-42E2-8F66-5004CD244D2A.jpeg

I don’t know if this makes any sense but what do you think to create a Telegram group about this issue? So we can all talk easily about that and stay tuned. I think the automation to turn off my heater worked for the first time minutes ago and I think the temperature is now showing correctly when the heater is on. Let me see what happens next!

Nice idea! Create a telegram group

I did 5 or 6 times, did not work.

Hi,

By the user name I think that probably (like many other users here) you are Portuguese.

So am I, to connect the heater to the wi-fi I had to connect to Portugal xiaomi server in the mi home app.

I have some items connected to singapure server (because of alexa), others to china mainland, and others to Portugal... not very pratical.

To everyone facing the issue with the constant temperature please report to Xiaomi through the Mi Home app to increase awareness and to pressure to release a firmware fix.

To report, open the Mi Home app > Mi Space Heater S > Three dot menu on the top right corner >Help & Feedback > Report an issue

Reactions: Infusion
I don''t own the heater but is it possible that it's intended to work like that?
I found some opinions from russian and romanian users they state that at first the heater works with will power and after 1 day it settles down. It looks like manufacturer also recommends running on full power for 30 min to warm the room and then adjust the desired temp.

Manual says it has constant temperature mode so it's not meant to work like it is now....
It's a bit retarded to release a heater in this age of times and not do it like a simple convector does....

Reactions: Infusion
I don''t own the heater but is it possible that it's intended to work like that?
I found some opinions from russian and romanian users they state that at first the heater works with will power and after 1 day it settles down. It looks like manufacturer also recommends running on full power for 30 min to warm the room and then adjust the desired temp.

Yeah, I found a way around that to make it work on the power level I want. For ex. I start it, it goes to ~2200W, I let it go until it reaches 20 or 21º. Then I lower the target temperature to 18º. You will ear a click from the relay, that's the heater lowering the power level. Sometimes he stays at ~1200W, so I change the target back to 20 or 21º and then, change it back to 18º. Until he changes to 800W. Once he changes to 800W he won't change again unless you change the target. This way I can keep the temperature in the room at ~19.5 constant.

This is possible if you have a way to measure the power that the heater is consuming. I use this plug and the Smart Hub.

Posting this here in case someone finds this and doesn't use Telegram.
Today I tried to switch to Chinese region and there was an update, 2.1.3.0003. Another user on the Telegram group has confirmed an improvement on power consumption being regulated correctly. I don't have ways to measure it but I can definitely hear the thermostat(s?) turning off and on at different temperatures and when reaching a certain temp, something that wasn't happening before. Test it as well if you wish!

Small tutorial to upgrade firmware:
- On Xiaomi Home app, Switch region to Chinese Mainland (Profile->Settings->Region)
- App will warn you need to re-log on, accept and sign on again (not sure if you don’t have to create account here again)
- Your devices will now appear offline, you need to scan & add it again (reset device WiFi by pressing wifi touch button for 5 seconds)
- Click re-added Heater on the home screen, it should prompt for update. If not, go to settings (3 dots), Firmware update.
- Update 2.1.3.0003 should appear. In my case it gave error on clicking update but it still updated (app relaunch a few times was necessary)
- Revert the process by starting from the top again and choosing your Region on Settings.
- After scan and re-add you should double check if firmware is still updated.
- Test different temps and see if power consumption/drawn power is different!

I should mention that I have latest vevs modded apk of Xiaomi Home. If device doesn't appear on re-scan on europe, give that a try.

Last edited:
Today I tried to switch to Chinese region and there was an update, 2.1.3.0003....

I have a European heater. Although I have some Chinese items (I have a cloned app for EU). Is it prudent to update with a Chinese firmware? Will it work on the European servers after updating?

Thank you.

I have a European heater. Although I have some Chinese items (I have a cloned app for EU). Is it prudent to update with a Chinese firmware? Will it work on the European servers after updating?

Thank you.

yep, have done it before on other xiaomi stuff, and it works here too. You can change region, upgrade and safely redo the whole process back to europe server

yep, have done it before on other xiaomi stuff, and it works here too. You can change region, upgrade and safely redo the whole process back to europe server

I asked because I have a Vacuum Robot that can't connect to the European server without "hacking" it :)
Will try this later today.

I should mention that I have latest vevs modded apk of Xiaomi Home. If device doesn't appear on re-scan on europe, give that a try.

Reactions: RPSouto
I updated the heater using a modded APK:

And after this I reinstalled the original, avaliable on Play Store and I can use the device and checked the update and it's on new version shown above.

I don't have a power meter so I can't notice if has any changes.

Last edited:
How do you that?

I followed the Citizenjc post:

Small tutorial to upgrade firmware:
- On Xiaomi Home app, Switch region to Chinese Mainland (Profile->Settings->Region)
- App will warn you need to re-log on, accept and sign on again (not sure if you don’t have to create account here again)
- Your devices will now appear offline, you need to scan & add it again (reset device WiFi by pressing wifi touch button for 5 seconds)
- Click re-added Heater on the home screen, it should prompt for update. If not, go to settings (3 dots), Firmware update.
- Update 2.1.3.0003 should appear. In my case it gave error on clicking update but it still updated (app relaunch a few times was necessary)
- Revert the process by starting from the top again and choosing your Region on Settings.
- After scan and re-add you should double check if firmware is still updated.
- Test different temps and see if power consumption/drawn power is different!

Hi everyone,
So, I also have/had this same issue with my heater. I got it a few days ago and I noticed right away it wouldn't durn off once it reached the set temperature (18 ºC, in my case).
After reading this thread, I noticed that I had never clicked on the temperature in the homepage of the mi home app. After clicking on there, I could see an option called something like "configuration of information ..." or something similar. My app is set to portuguese ("Configurações de informaçõe..." is how it appears in PT), so not sure how it appears in the english one, but it's the option below the heater. Once I clicked on there, it read "Temperature" and I selected the heater as an input for the temperature reading (I suppose) and a tick appeared.
After that, I turned the heater on to 20 .ºC, then turned it back to 18 ºC and now it appears to be keeping steady at around 19 ºC (on the mi home app. On the temperature and humidity sensor 2, it got quite fast to 18ºC and is now climbing very slowly - much slower than before, I believe - and it just reached 19 ºC). Usually, by now, my room would be already at or near 20 ºC (while being set to 18 ºC)
I can't give any information about the power consumption, because even though I do have a smart plug, I'm still waiting to get my hub, so I can start using the smart plug. Once I get the hub, I'll try posting what I found.
Not sure if this is a fix or not or even if I was the only one that wasn't aware that you had to select the heater as the device for the temperature reading, but I thought I'd share this here anyway.

Hi everyone,
So, I also have/had this same issue with my heater. I got it a few days ago and I noticed right away it wouldn't durn off once it reached the set temperature (18 ºC, in my case).
After reading this thread, I noticed that I had never clicked on the temperature in the homepage of the mi home app. After clicking on there, I could see an option called something like "configuration of information ..." or something similar. My app is set to portuguese ("Configurações de informaçõe..." is how it appears in PT), so not sure how it appears in the english one, but it's the option below the heater. Once I clicked on there, it read "Temperature" and I selected the heater as an input for the temperature reading (I suppose) and a tick appeared.
After that, I turned the heater on to 20 .ºC, then turned it back to 18 ºC and now it appears to be keeping steady at around 19 ºC (on the mi home app. On the temperature and humidity sensor 2, it got quite fast to 18ºC and is now climbing very slowly - much slower than before, I believe - and it just reached 19 ºC). Usually, by now, my room would be already at or near 20 ºC (while being set to 18 ºC)
I can't give any information about the power consumption, because even though I do have a smart plug, I'm still waiting to get my hub, so I can start using the smart plug. Once I get the hub, I'll try posting what I found.
Not sure if this is a fix or not or even if I was the only one that wasn't aware that you had to select the heater as the device for the temperature reading, but I thought I'd share this here anyway.

Hi,

nice, i also didn't have the temperature reading from the heater in the app, didn't notice i had do click that in the mi app (not very intuitive).

now it shows the temperature using the heater sensor, i'll try later today if it gets steady at the selected temperature!

Abraço

edit: I think this corrected the issue .I have 18º C set on the Heater, and my xiaomi sensor that's in the same room got steady around ~18ºC too. Nice one!

edit2: bad news, the temperature seemed to have stabilized in the 18ºC I had set in the app, but in continued to rise. there were already 22ºC in the room when I had to manualy turn off the heater ...

Last edited:
Reactions: Areis

I've installed the modded apk. Received an error as you said. still updated. but it's working as it was before the update.

Hi,

nice, i also didn't have the temperature reading from the heater in the app, didn't notice i had do click that in the mi app (not very intuitive).

now it shows the temperature using the heater sensor, i'll try later today if it gets steady at the selected temperature!

Abraço

edit: I think this corrected the issue .I have 18º C set on the Heater, and my xiaomi sensor that's in the same room got steady around ~18ºC too. Nice one!

edit2: bad news, the temperature seemed to have stabilized in the 18ºC I had set in the app, but in continued to rise. there were already 22ºC in the room when I had to manualy turn off the heater ...

It turns out that the temperature when you turn the device off is actually the temp. at the air/heat outtake, and doesn't reflect the room temperature at all. These two sensors without explaining what they mean is causing confusing, but the temp when you have the device on is actually the one closer to reality

Hi everyone.
Another pissed user that bought this heater.
I've tried everything in here. I have the firmware update, and I've tested it in a small room.
I've monitored the temperature with a baby monitor that works consistently with an AC I have in a different room (they both agree on the temperature).
With the smart s heater off, both are showing more or less the same temperature, once I turn on the heater, the temperature on mi home app starts falling, the temperature on the baby monitor raises. I left it there and they became separated by 10 degrees celsius. Baby monitor showing 29, mi home app showing 19 (it was set to 22). Once I turned of the heater, mi home app showed 27. Turning the heater on again, the temperature on the app falls again.
I think I'll return this heater.