MI 10 Ultra unofficial TWRP

I couldn't get the earlier TWRP to see the .img file to flash it, so I used the .bat and did it in fastboot. Needed to translate the Chinese on the fly, where Google really was my friend :)

It works well, although the only visible change for now is the mentioning of the Mi 10 Ultra. That's nice enough though :D

hello everyone, this twrp is for the mi10 ultra with A11?
wzsx150, the author of this recovery, noted he didn't test it with Android 11. It will probably work, the previous version did work with the A11 beta builds, but we will know for sure when it's been tested. I'm sure somebody that has done that will post the experience here somewhere.

Yes, you have to. Get your ROM ready on your PC, install twrp from fastboot, reboot to twrp, mount PC and flash ROM. Once flashed, Format data as it's a ROM branch change, then reboot system. As long as you see 5G and MIUI just wait, it will take a while but it will be all good.
You only need to wipe dalvik and cache in any same ROM in future updates, the FORMAT is a must when you change CN to EU or stable to weekly due to possible partition differences between them.

Reactions: Sylar82
It is quite easy actually, you just have to be careful.
First, I installed TWRP via Fastboot (when you unzip TWRP you will get 10 files, and the last one is in Chinese partly: 打开CMD命令行 - it is a windows batch file) by doubleclicking on that file mentioned before and typing fastboot flash recovery recovery.img . It will install TWRP quite quickly (it will be in Chinese when you first install but you will easily find a button to change that to English), and then you reboot in TWRP by typing fastboot reboot recovery.
Once in TWRP, you have to do format. After that, restart from TWRP and choose restart to recovery mode. Your computer will recognize your phone and there will be TWRP folder there. Upload zipped ROM there, and then click install in TWRP and choose that zip file. When it is installed go back and click wipe dalvik/art, cache and data (choose nothing else), and then reboot to system. Wait for a few minutes, and that is it.
Just be careful not to wipe something you should not wipe.
Good luck! :)

hi there i followed all the steps you wrote and everything's was ok, it installed perfect, just for one thing, at the end of the installation, there is a message that says
" failed to mount persist. invalid argument" how to fix that on xiaomi mi 10 ultra???

hi there i followed all the steps you wrote and everything's was ok, it installed perfect, just for one thing, at the end of the installation, there is a message that says
" failed to mount persist. invalid argument" how to fix that on xiaomi mi 10 ultra???
Not important message, don't worry about that. ;)

Not important message, don't worry about that. ;)

well the thing is that the phone restart well to normal system but after sometime there is a message that says persist its not installed and then the phone turn off. i am trying to instal the latest the WEEKLY 21.1.13

now i tried to install the persist.img for the 12.0.15 the problem
disappeared but the phone is in bootloop recovery mood

well the thing is that the phone restart well to normal system but after sometime there is a message that says persist its not installed and then the phone turn off. i am trying to instal the latest the WEEKLY 21.1.13
"persist is not installed"? What? Never heard of this error message in system..

At the end of the story I couldn't install the update, everytime I installed the latest EU ROM zip file a problem wiht the persist file showed up.... So I had to install the beta 21.1.6 and works ok now, but I lost the fingerprint option. Really don't know what's wrong really dissapointed

Sent from my M2007J1SC using Tapatalk

I don't understand why you have this problem and not any of us.
Can you please list down the actions you took and the actual ROM number as in the zip file and I will see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary. Also the ROM details of the one you came from.

Last edited:
Reactions: biscoot
I don't understand why you have this problem and not any of us.
Can you please list down the actions you took and the actual ROM number as in the zip file and I will see if I can spot anything out of the ordinary. Also the ROM details of the one you came from.
Hello Mark we'll in my case I followed exactly all the steps mentioned by Petar C on thread 57. My previous ROM zip before all this issues was the china beta 21.1.6 and then when I tried to switch to the eu 21.1.13 before finishing installation a message showed up saying "failed to mount persist invalid argument".

So I decided to go back to the china beta 21.1.6 (current OS) and now I have lost my fingerprint security option.

If you can help me I would be very thankful because it really frustrating to have a monster like this phone "10 Ultra" and can not take advantage of all the good things that has.

It's a great phone, mine has been a super replacement for my Huawei P40pro+.
I'm on current beta now but I came from the original Chinese release through fastboot before a twrp was released.

Best bet before you start unless you are really not happy, is to do a back up by twrp and take it off phone as a backup.

And as you are starting from scratch again might be worth updating to latest twrp for mi 10 ultra. I have a link from my mega page here... https://mega.nz/file/TUh0mLAZ#0jYRCIeAiCJEMW1eIvWzPSWG2MuKJMG5V-wgxtWT80M
Ignore the Chinese bat file and install it through fastboot. I take it from your comments that you are ok with PC and fastboot/adb but if not, here is a link for my mi10ultra ROM installation, it has a twrp section but you will need to rename the new one to match. Guide is here... https://mega.nz/file/6UAhXCxZ#Np2KwhMnl8obmOvp4b-2R9ajo0zrtz3vwefy-Ya3PLs
Then download the latest beta ROM from the download page... https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/21-1-13-14.59414/
and get it on your PC or OTG usb stick, not your phone as it will need to be formatted as your changing ROM branches.

Install TWRP, then boot straight to TWRP, not system. Then FORMAT data from TWRPs menu. Mount PC or OTG usb stick with the ROM on, using TWRP, install ROM, then once done, FORMAT data again, then reboot system. Obviously you would normally only wipe dalvik and cache on any same branch update but as the EU ROM and Chinese may have partition differences between them, it's best to format before and after on this install only. Then wait, it takes ages but as long as you see the 5g and MIUI logo, it will be ok.

I know you have done this before but please, follow, this ish. Reinstall TWRP and flash ROM as if it's a stock Chinese but with the added format before flash and after. See how this goes. If you still get errors while in twrp, you can press vol down and power to take a screenshot of the error and let me know.
Worst case, use twrp and put your back up back on or go to http://mifirm net and put a more recent fastboot ROM back on and try again but let me know how you get on. Good luck.

It's a great phone, mine has been a super replacement for my Huawei P40pro+.
I'm on current beta now but I came from the original Chinese release through fastboot before a twrp was released.

Best bet before you start unless you are really not happy, is to do a back up by twrp and take it off phone as a backup.

And as you are starting from scratch again might be worth updating to latest twrp for mi 10 ultra. I have a link from my mega page here... https://mega.nz/file/TUh0mLAZ#0jYRCIeAiCJEMW1eIvWzPSWG2MuKJMG5V-wgxtWT80M
Ignore the Chinese bat file and install it through fastboot. I take it from your comments that you are ok with PC and fastboot/adb but if not, here is a link for my mi10ultra ROM installation, it has a twrp section but you will need to rename the new one to match. Guide is here... https://mega.nz/file/6UAhXCxZ#Np2KwhMnl8obmOvp4b-2R9ajo0zrtz3vwefy-Ya3PLs
Then download the latest beta ROM from the download page... https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/21-1-13-14.59414/
and get it on your PC or OTG usb stick, not your phone as it will need to be formatted as your changing ROM branches.

Install TWRP, then boot straight to TWRP, not system. Then FORMAT data from TWRPs menu. Mount PC or OTG usb stick with the ROM on, using TWRP, install ROM, then once done, FORMAT data again, then reboot system. Obviously you would normally only wipe dalvik and cache on any same branch update but as the EU ROM and Chinese may have partition differences between them, it's best to format before and after on this install only. Then wait, it takes ages but as long as you see the 5g and MIUI logo, it will be ok.

I know you have done this before but please, follow, this ish. Reinstall TWRP and flash ROM as if it's a stock Chinese but with the added format before flash and after. See how this goes. If you still get errors while in twrp, you can press vol down and power to take a screenshot of the error and let me know.
Worst case, use twrp and put your back up back on or go to http://mifirm net and put a more recent fastboot ROM back on and try again but let me know how you get on. Good luck.
Great Mark I will try and I come back to you with the results.... thank you very much for the info and guide... Definitely I give it a try again.

Good luck and let's hope you get it sorted and unless you have a hardware issue, these phones can be sorted out one way or another.

Good luck and let's hope you get it sorted and unless you have a hardware issue, these phones can be sorted out one way or another.

Hey Mark just to inform you that I followed all the specific and one by one steps you gave me, the installation was ok and started to boot normally, wifi, account and some others things in the setup, but when the phone reach the step of the user agreement, in that step the message shows up and says "Provision keep failing" and from there i couldn"t keep going, the screen becomes all black and the message continues popping up.

So what i did was to remove the two sim cards and then the message disappeared and was able to finish the setup completely, now i am xiaomi eu 21.1.13 yeahhhhhhhhh. well everything would be fantastic except for THE ISSUE WITH THE FINGERPRINT FUNCTION WICH IT"S LOST, so I have to start to look for a solution, but other than that thank u very much really appreciated your help you are really good at this......... Best Regards

Sorry about the SIM issue, not seen that but glad you are semi working now. Can you give me the link to the ROM you installed or the actual name of it with its version? I've not heard anyone else having fingerprint issues yet. Do you have the option to use fingerprint in the security menu? What happens when you try to add one if you do have it? Could you post some more details and may be a screenshot or two? And just confirm, you did do the format, not just wipe before and after the actual flash?

Last edited:
Sorry about the SIM issue, not seen that but glad you are semi working now. Can you give me the link to the ROM you installed or the actual name of it with its version? I've not heard anyone else having fingerprint issues yet. Do you have the option to use fingerprint in the security menu? What happens when you try to add one if you do have it? Could you post some more details and may be a screenshot or two? And just confirm, you did do the format, not just wipe before and after the actual flash?
[/QUOTE

Hey Mark sorry for the late response.... work stuffs, well answering your questions i can tell the following:

1. "Can you give me the link to the ROM you installed or the actual name of it with its version?"
everything started when i tried to switch from the china beta 21.1.6 to eu weekly 21.1.13, i followed the steps except for the ones you mentioned last time which is the format data after installation of the ROM, in that moment the message of failed to mount persist invalid argument showed up. after that i had to install the fastboot rom 12.0.15 and the the issue with the fingerprint started.

2. "Do you have the option to use fingerprint in the security menu?"
yes i have the option to use,

3. What happens when you try to add one if you do have it?
Every time i want to add my fingerprint there is a message saying "couldn't add your fingerprint, try later" see the picture bellow.

4. And just confirm, you did do the format, not just wipe before and after the actual flash?
Yes i did exactly what you tell me to do, step by step, wipes before and later everything as you said.

5. one thing to point out, is that after the problem with my account i changed the sim card and change the email in order to recover the unlocked status, it doesn't mean that i had to wait for the 168 hrs. as the beginning but there was a mess with my account where in some actions the bootloader said its was unlocked and in the MiFlashool said the bootloader was locked, until i decided to change the sim card and the email and then everything normalized without having to wait for the permission from xiaomi.

I installed the persist.img for the china stable rom 12.0.15 on the china beta 21.1.6 the problem of rebooting in twrp
disappeared (maybe this could be the problem)

pdta: you can see in the circle the option

thanks for you time Mark, best regard

Attachments

• IMG_20210118_130010.jpg
    IMG_20210118_130010.jpg
    193.6 KB · Views: 204
Hi, I will go through your reply later but I really need confirmation of your wipe. I need to know if it was a wipe or format before and after installing the EU ROM.
Did you format by going in to the wipe menu in twrp and select format and confirmed by pressing yes? This is the format that is needed to format data on ROM branch changes and would have cleared any wrongdoing that happened before. If you just wiped using twrp and not done the format, it will leave issues.
I have attached screenshots below of the path to the format. If you could confirm you did it this way or not ? It would help.

Attachments

• IMG_20210119_090404.jpg
    IMG_20210119_090404.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_20210119_090421.jpg
    IMG_20210119_090421.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_20210119_090440.jpg
    IMG_20210119_090440.jpg
    281.3 KB · Views: 225
Doing some reading, looks like both your SIM and fingerprint issues may be down to a now missing or corrupted persist.img file as you thought. This holds details of your sensors and more and looking at the errors, this looks like your problem.
Resolving is more of an issue. One person flashed a Chinese ROM over it without the format, a dirty flash. Some have used just twrp to flash it in to the phone. I have uploaded a Chinese fastboot ROMs persist.img to my mega drive, you may want to take a copy and keep it handy. Here is the link... https://mega.nz/file/KdYnzKQB#_EfetXB0KGD3wxXqZ8qrcLHpw8HBF7N5AvqQnnSv8q4

Please let me know how savy you are with PCs and adb/ fastboot commands and I can give you some options before you try restoring it. In the meantime I will get some options, unless anyone reading has a simple answer to get the persist.img back in to the phones ROM.
The thing it to try and flash the image through twrp but you could flash a Chinese fastboot version fully, then make sure it works, then install twrp and go EU. There are a couple of tools that can try to resolve it but some have moaned about loosing widevine DRM, so I think that's last.
The last person I helped with similar issues as you went back, started with an older fastboot ROM and then come back forward but it's worth trying the dirty flash option and twrp install first, but let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Here are 2 links to persist.img fixes

Also, here is a couple or methods to get it back. They are borrowed, so thanks to the owners. Obviously at your own risk. I prefer the dirty flash version myself but you could go back to fastboot ROM install, then twrp and flash EU ROM but here are the ideas.

I also too solved this problem several times. if you want to fix the "find device storage corrupt etc" problem, you can install custom rom eg xiaomi eu and then install stock miui without cleaning the data. After configuring the system, you can restore the factory settings and the problem solved .

Flash Persist Image file using TWRP!Recommended
As Android 10 is just round the corner, I tried my hands on AOSP ROM for Mi 6. Being an MIUI Fan, I always prefer MIUI. I flashed AOSP to check new features. While flashing back MIUI using fastboot ROM. I got an error "Find device storage corrupted your device is unsafe now" while setting up the phone. I lost MAC id for wifi and Bluetooth.
To fix the issue, I need to flash persist.img which is present inside fastboot ROM. But using fastboot command it can't be flashed. It will give error "FAILED (Remote: 'Partition flashing is not allowed')"

Here I am sharing the guide to flash persist.img
Steps:
1. You need Unlocked Bootloader and TWRP. You can boot in TWRP instead of flashing it.
2. Download the fastboot ROM for the device. Extract it and copy persist.img file to the internal memory of the phone. Make sure put the file in internal storage rather than in any folder.
3. Put the phone in fastboot Mode, Power Button and Volume Down key.
4. Boot in TWRP by "fastboot boot twrp.img" command.
5. In the TWRP Main Menu. Go to Advanced ------ Terminal
6. Write the below 2 lines:
simg2img /sdcard/persist.img /sdcard/persist_EXT4.img
dd if=/sdcard/persist_EXT4.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist

Update: If you are facing this error
"invalid sparse file format at header, failed to read sparse file"
No need to use simg2img command, Just use the dd if= Command.
dd if=/sdcard/persist.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/persist
7. Reboot the Phone and check.

Hi, I will go through your reply later but I really need confirmation of your wipe. I need to know if it was a wipe or format before and after installing the EU ROM.
Did you format by going in to the wipe menu in twrp and select format and confirmed by pressing yes? This is the format that is needed to format data on ROM branch changes and would have cleared any wrongdoing that happened before. If you just wiped using twrp and not done the format, it will leave issues.
I have attached screenshots below of the path to the format. If you could confirm you did it this way or not ? It would help.

Hey Mark yes of course i did the wipe action as you said and as in the pics definetely i did that way

Doing some reading, looks like both your SIM and fingerprint issues may be down to a now missing or corrupted persist.img file as you thought. This holds details of your sensors and more and looking at the errors, this looks like your problem.
Resolving is more of an issue. One person flashed a Chinese ROM over it without the format, a dirty flash. Some have used just twrp to flash it in to the phone. I have uploaded a Chinese fastboot ROMs persist.img to my mega drive, you may want to take a copy and keep it handy. Here is the link... https://mega.nz/file/KdYnzKQB#_EfetXB0KGD3wxXqZ8qrcLHpw8HBF7N5AvqQnnSv8q4

Please let me know how savy you are with PCs and adb/ fastboot commands and I can give you some options before you try restoring it. In the meantime I will get some options, unless anyone reading has a simple answer to get the persist.img back in to the phones ROM.
The thing it to try and flash the image through twrp but you could flash a Chinese fastboot version fully, then make sure it works, then install twrp and go EU. There are a couple of tools that can try to resolve it but some have moaned about loosing widevine DRM, so I think that's last.
The last person I helped with similar issues as you went back, started with an older fastboot ROM and then come back forward but it's worth trying the dirty flash option and twrp install first, but let me know your thoughts.

Hey Mark i think this the best way to go through at resolving this issue, from 1 to 10 in PCs i got a 8 so i think there wouldn't be a problem with the commands..... i already have the Chinese fastboot ROM in my PC. so i think is good idea to do it the way you mentioned.

thanks as for your help Mark really appreciated. and willing to do anything to repair this monster jejeje

No worries, as long as you have fastboot access, you'll be able to get it working. Let me know how you get on. I think once you get persist.img, take a twrp backup and store it somewhere. I think I will too at the weekend as well.