3rd Generation MiBox help -> internet settings?

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by georgelishere, Aug 29, 2014.

1. georgelishere

Aug 29, 2014
    Male
    Hey guys, I'm new here; hope you can help me out with this issue I'm having. I apologise up front for the wall of text that is to follow.

Let me first state that I already went through all the threads to check if my problem (or something similar) has been posted already, but it hasn't... or at least not that I know of :p Also, I'm a complete noob when it comes to internet settings.. for more popular devices (PS3, iOS etc) I can usually find explanations online, but with the MiBox I'm having less luck.

I just recently got the 3rd gen MiBox when I was visiting family in China and everything was already installed for me. With everything I mean I have a bunch of Chinese apps such as VST, Sohu PPTV and the like. I know the box works fine, because I had my uncle test it, who has one of his own; he never had any issues with streaming.

So now that I have it home and connected to our 100mbps glass fibre internet, everything has been really slow. I've been able to watch stuff on both iCNTV and 3rd party apps, however it would require an enormous time to buffer, especially the full HD and ultra HD shows. I'm pretty sure it's not because of the location of the servers since the same streaming apps work flawlessly on the computers. In addition, the MiBox keeps attempting to connect with the Access Point that is further away, even though they are set up the same.

TL;DR: Does anyone have an idea how to correctly set up the internet connection on either the MiBox or the router to allow fast internet connection? The down speed is just depressing, barely hitting 200kb/s at the most. Thanks in advance!:D

2. Mahe

MaheMembers

Aug 27, 2014
    Male
    Same here having problem with buffering. Have you tried using USB 2.0 to 10/100Mbps RJ45 LAN Ethernet Network Adapter for MiBOX?

3. georgelishere

Aug 29, 2014
    Male
    No, I have actually not tried wiring the box up because I don't have the adapter thing. However I think I have solved the overall slow internet thing by playing around with the settings on the Access Point a bit. It is still slow, however... I guess that is due to the servers being in China?

Does anyone happen to know any good streaming services that work in Europe? Netflix doesn't seem to work well on the box, does it?

4. lippo

lippoMembers

Aug 22, 2014
    Male
    UK
    Hi,

I set up the internet settings in the Android settings. The usual thing, locate your network and enter the password. I've not had any buffering problems and my internet is only 10meg download maximum. I'm in the UK and as far as I know, nothing goes through servers in China (unless you use the built in apps which I don't).

Have you tried XBMC, Movietime or Mobdro to see if there's any buffering. Have you tried an app called Speedtest to measure your download/upload speed?

5. georgelishere

Aug 29, 2014
    Male
    Hey, thanks for your reply!

I still haven't really played with settings and apps on the box because I'm not completely sure how it all works yet. So far we've been using PuddingTV mostly because it works best empirically, but every now and then it would buffer with <100kbps. I've been meaning to take a look at XBMC and other apps, but I have yet to read in on how I can get them all on the MiBox; I bought the box pre-rooted and my uncle's installed all these apps he's using but they are all Chinese :p I have this app called Shafa that functions as an app store, but I'm not sure if I can install APK files directly through that. Do you perhaps have any experience with the box you can share?

Share Our Site