MULTI 5.3.20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for the update. So far no problem with my Note 4G. I have no problem with the replacement of the original MIUI Browser. Somehow the original MIUI Rom makes troubles for my needs, for example remove some Google libraries. That is why I choose the EU Rom.

Sent from my HM NOTE 1LTE using Tapatalk

graham,

"if professional in his moderation...." i think , that is the point.
the guys that work hard, offering their knowledge and time to work on somehting and put it at the disposition of the public, without any charges( !!!) are not professionals. these guys are some knowledgable, private guys, not payed by xiaomi who just like technology and are kind enough to let us others benefit from their knowledge.

if i read some of the comments of users in here, demanding solutions of fixes for bugs or asking (sometimes not very polite) for things to be included or even ETA´s, honestly, i can understand the frustration thet acid and ingbrzy must feel, reading these comments.

if there is a bug, report it. a lot of times i did not get an answer either, so i repeated my question.

other than that, these rom´s are a free offer, take it or leave it, that´s what i would think about it.

regards, j...

graham,

"if professional in his moderation...." i think , that is the point.
the guys that work hard, offering their knowledge and time to work on somehting and put it at the disposition of the public, without any charges( !!!) are not professionals. these guys are some knowledgable, private guys, not payed by xiaomi who just like technology and are kind enough to let us others benefit from their knowledge.

if i read some of the comments of users in here, demanding solutions of fixes for bugs or asking (sometimes not very polite) for things to be included or even ETA´s, honestly, i can understand the frustration thet acid and ingbrzy must feel, reading these comments.

if there is a bug, report it. a lot of times i did not get an answer either, so i repeated my question.

other than that, these rom´s are a free offer, take it or leave it, that´s what i would think about it.

regards, j...

Seems you are confusing two things here. Did I question how hard he works? Did I question the knowledge he has bestowed to others via this medium? I don't think I did but please feel free to direct me to anything I have said which does.
When I challenge his professionalism I challenge his ability to understand that 'wording' and 'context' can and in this case have been offensive. That doesn't challenge any other aspect of his moderation whatsoever.

And attempting to use facts like he works hard and the roms are free as reason why he can choose to say things any way he likes is quite frankly nothing more than a paper tiger, pardoning the pun.

no, you did not say..... the point that i was trying to make is that i can understand that acid and ingbrzy sometimes might feel very frustrated with the comments they get here and that they are not professionals who measure every word they say and publish. and that we, as users of their work, should have a little more pacience, sometimes.

i don´t know your background, obviously, and i don´t know why you felt so intensce about this remark. but i was just trying to make you see his side of view aswell.

Reactions: krassiy
So
no, you did not say..... the point that i was trying to make is that i can understand that acid and ingbrzy sometimes might feel very frustrated with the comments they get here and that they are not professionals who measure every word they say and publish. and that we, as users of their work, should have a little more pacience, sometimes.

i don´t know your background, obviously, and i don´t know why you felt so intensce about this remark. but i was just trying to make you see his side of view aswell.

I'm sorry but it sounds like you are trying to say that work related stress is in some way a justification for making a comment which could be construed as offensive.
Most people work, it certainly doesn't grant the excuse to use comments which are generally used in the context of offending an entire culture. There is no excuse for its use and no excuse for being so ignorant to its offensive nature either. You might as well try justifying someone using the 'N' word or a similarly used four letter word which inaccurately groups everyone together from the Middle East. In fact it is fair to say that in the context it was used, any nationality which is prefixed with such a profanity is generally used in bigoted context.
Neither of them made any attempt to apologize, retract or accept that has been taken as offensive so even used in an error of judgement they acted unprofessionally as moderators.
It may have escaped your attention, but vocabulary such as patience and bigoted are not attributed to sitting well together these days. People, quite frankly, are sick of those who assume that derogatory comments at other peoples expense are acceptable.

Seems you are confusing two things here. Did I question how hard he works? Did I question the knowledge he has bestowed to others via this medium? I don't think I did but please feel free to direct me to anything I have said which does.
When I challenge his professionalism I challenge his ability to understand that 'wording' and 'context' can and in this case have been offensive. That doesn't challenge any other aspect of his moderation whatsoever.

And attempting to use facts like he works hard and the roms are free as reason why he can choose to say things any way he likes is quite frankly nothing more than a paper tiger, pardoning the pun.

Wtf. If you have problems with the way soneone utters his opinion, discuss that in private, please. I don't want to have to scroll through pages of posts that revolve around something that could very well be discussed in private. And is beyond the topic if this thread.

Then direct you anger at your moderators who fueled and then helped continue to steer the thread off topic by being defensive and unprofessional in the first place. Acknowledgment that it had caused offence and retracting or editing the post is what should have happened.
Quite frankly I don't really care if you are inconvenienced by scrolling a few pages.

N.B - The moderators made no attempt to contact me privately, despite my attempt.

Hi, I'm using the new weekly update and everything works great except a little bug .. When i use pattern to unlock and the alarm rings i have to swipe up and it shows the desktop instantly, without asking for pattern .. Please fix it as soons as possible :( .. Thanks for the weekly roms!

Hi, I'm using the new weekly update and everything works great except a little bug .. When i use pattern to unlock and the alarm rings i have to swipe up and it shows the desktop instantly, without asking for pattern .. Please fix it as soons as possible :( .. Thanks for the weekly roms!
Do you use MiBand for unlock your screen?

~Tapatalk~

Then direct you anger at your moderators who fueled and then helped continue to steer the thread off topic by being defensive and unprofessional in the first place. Acknowledgment that it had caused offence and retracting or editing the post is what should have happened.
Quite frankly I don't really care if you are inconvenienced by scrolling a few pages.

N.B - The moderators made no attempt to contact me privately, despite my attempt.
What are you looking for here? Are you using this ROM? It is Europe and we do not want to see any Chinese crap in the ROM that's all! And we don't want to see any s**t what do not work! Go to en.miui.com and share your mind over there if you are boring! Thx in advance!

Sent from my Mi2S / MIUI6

What are you looking for here? Are you using this ROM? It is Europe and we do not want to see any Chinese crap in the ROM that's all! And we don't want to see any s**t what do not work! Go to en.miui.com and share your mind over there if you are boring! Thx in advance!

What does that even mean? To answer what I was able to decipher, of course I am using this ROM otherwise I wouldn't have been reading the thread. I see yet another derogatory worded comment so well done and to be honest, how anyone can comment in such a way considering it is Chinese is the funniest thing I have ever heard.
Given your attitude towards 'Chinese' perhaps it is you who should be thinking about changing your brand.

What does that even mean? To answer what I was able to decipher, of course I am using this ROM otherwise I wouldn't have been reading the thread. I see yet another derogatory worded comment so well done and to be honest, how anyone can comment in such a way considering it is Chinese is the funniest thing I have ever heard.
Given your attitude towards 'Chinese' perhaps it is you who should be thinking about changing your brand.
Graham, give it a rest. You've made your point. While I actually agree with you, you are about to cross the line to make yourself not being taken seriously anymore. It's indeed offensive what some people post here but what are you going to do. You can rant about anything or just make your point, stand above it and get on with your life. There are millions and maybe billions of people with other opinions than mine and yours. While I don't advocate intolerance in any way, you can also respect or maybe tolerate someone's ignorance and then just go on.
Give it a rest and keep this thread clean (of which I'm giving a bad example here ;-))

Reactions: thaimax and lyldz
Just wanted to post a single follow-up, other than that I'll not be continuing this topic.

First of all, I want to restate that I really appreciate all the hard work of Ingbrzy, Acid, and the whole Xiaomi.eu development team (I believe that iBotPeaches of APK Tool fame is also a member). Thank you all!

I admire your patience to deal with trivial support questions and all kinds of entitled demands you keep getting everyday, even more so as I would probably not have such patience myself.

That being said, my post was not one of these demands but was driven by a genuine interest in the long-term success of the project. The way I see it, this is not just about MIUI Browser or Chrome but a principle being tested, or implicitly decided here. Basically, it's about what kind of ROM Xiaomi.eu is, and there is a choice to be made here:
  • Option 1: Remove bloatware and China-specific apps, improve English locale, add other translations, customize for international users but try to stay close to stock MIUI.
  • Option 2: A hotch-potch of some people's favorite apps and some other people's favorite customizations on top of MIUI.
The reason I wrote my post is that I really hope you could go with the former. Otherwise, before we know it, you'll be bundling Angry Birds, as that's a great game everyone should try at least once in their life. It's an exaggeration, I know, but I've seen projects deteriorate like that. I really hope you don't shoot yourselves in the foot.
Btw replacing apk by older won't work... So users could had FC of browser for whole week and use alternative anyway.
I think, working under time pressure, you made a good decision this week to remove the force-closing MIUI Browser (of course), and perhaps to include some alternative, and Chrome is a popular one.

The question is what will you do next week, when the stock browser issue likely gets fixed. And the week after that, when something like this happens again (it will), possibly with another app.

As I think it's mostly about the principles not the details I didn't want to get too technical, but there are some other options that could be considered.
  • Revert to an older, working version (thank you for trying it this time!)
  • Remove the offending app without replacement and let the users decide what to do
  • Remove the stock app and install an AOSP alternative (in this case, the AOSP Browser)
Then, the following week:
  • Fork a patched version of the app in the local repository if the issue persists.
  • Merge the changes back when the issue gets resolved in stock
Chrome is not added as system app and can be uninstalled.
Thank you for doing it this way.
In short: Browser is Chinese product ok. We don't want Chinese s**t in our roms. Please read this thread again and again and you will understand.
I want to stay on topic so I'll be brief. I've just re-read my post and really could not find anything that could have possibly irked you to answer this way. I think the tone of your response is uncalled for, especially as I've read the thread very carefully before posting, and was not duplicating an already closed discussion.

More on topic, as for the bundled apps, it's not really much different than what Google is doing (take for instance the annoying search box on the stock Android Home screen, Talkback, etc.). Moreover, some of these MIUI apps are actually quite useful and it's not as much about being Chinese but about being in China. Who knows, if you're about to make a trip to the Middle Kingdom you might even want to flash the Chinese version temporarily. And if you're not, it's not really worth it to get frustrated about a business putting the most attention to where their largest customer base is.

Again, a big thank you to Xiaomi.eu developers for all the hard work. Please don't misconstrue anything I wrote. I'll not be writing about this topic anymore, unless specifically asked to respond.

Dude. Seriously. You are the one that keeps going on and on.

Just because you feel offended by something does not mean it's offensive.
"This <insert nation here> app is crap!" does not mean "This <insert nation here> is crap!".

You are just trying to forcefully settle something that is only in your head.

Get over yourself. Stop spamming.

Last edited:
Reactions: krassiy
hey guys
which version is the best for htc one?
thnx a lot ...

Last edited by a moderator:
My short answer in this (hopefully to get this topic close finally):
Our rom is and will be close to stock and will not include bloatware apps.
Including Chrome is natural choice if miui browser fails as this happened this week. Chrome is default Android browser now (not aosp browser) and works the best of all. Also next week Chrome will be on /data and user will be able to uninstall it if he prefers different app.

End of topic.

Wysłane z MI Note

We must remember always is a develop ROM some problems are normale, but we put attention to the speed answer !!!
Txs

about products shity chinese ... he did not say anything offensive, he only said that some things of their rom us Europeans not needed and therefore are useless, did not say that the Chinese are s**t.
@ingbrzy, @Acid thanks for all

After reading seemingly endless (and useless) remarks from an unappreciative user, I must say that any user who are flashing developer Roms should be aware that these weekly updates won't be perfect but still good enough for us to explore any new stuff. Personally Iam very happy with the weekly update and even there's one or two things don't work properly there's no problem. I enjoy the process. In fact I witched over from the stable rom to this weekly rom update. So, hope that some users learn to be patience and don't clutter up this forum... Don't use it as your own backyard dumping ground! Thanks to the developers for weekly updates, really.

Reactions: thaimax
ok developer Roms and these weekly updates won't be perfect but can not have a 98.4 recommendation for this buggy version...

MIUI Browser in 5.3.20 works fine after removing it via Root Explorer (@:/system/priv-app/browser.apk), re-adding it and assigning apk permissions to 0644. Reboot + voila.

Was most likely caused by conflicting app data/cache; which if this was the case may have also been solved via:

Settings > 'Installed apps' > All > Browser > 'Clear data' / 'Clear cache'

Perhaps webkit libraries got updated... Hence the fatal if you rollback Browser.apk.

Attachments

• MI_20150323_172757.png
    MI_20150323_172757.png
    126.6 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
MIUI Browser in 5.3.20 works fine after removing it via Root Explorer (@:/system/priv-app/browser.apk), re-adding it and assigning apk permissions to 0644. Reboot + voila.

Was most likely caused by conflicting app data/cache; which if this was the case may have also been solved via:

Settings > 'Installed apps' > All > Browser > 'Clear data' / 'Clear cache'

Perhaps webkit libraries got updated... Hence the fatal if you rollback Browser.apk.
Yeah, but once you exit from miui browser, you will get FC again when you try to re-open the app.

Yeah, but once you exit from miui browser, you will get FC again when you try to re-open the app.

Patch it? ...I've avoided the crash by de-compiling and patching smali, just you might need to set your own homepage.

1. Download the following patched apk
  2. Copy provided Browser.apk to convenient place on your devices internal storage
  3. Use any 'Root explorer' app to replace '/system/priv-app/Browser.apk'
  4. Set permissions to '0644' and reboot...
Result...

Tested on Mi3W
( the attached is Browser.apk based upon 5.3.20 with offending code removed - p.s. MA-dev team this should be easy for you to correct in future builds; needn't replace with chrome )

Best Regards,

s89

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.