1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A Few Questions About Mi Box International

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by Wilderone, Mar 5, 2017.

1. Wilderone

Wilderone Members

Hi All,
    Have a few questions before purchasing a Mi Box.

1) I want to use it primarily for downloading torrents & viewing that media, can anyone elaborate whether this box is suitable for that use?

2) I want to use an external HDD for storage of the above.

3) seeing that it only has one USB port, how would I go about connecting the above USB HDD & a USB keyboard?

4) I want the best model possible, can anyone suggest the model number to look for? or AA-AB etc

http://m.gearbest.com/tv-box/pp_426056.html?wid=4

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Dave Deluria

Dave Deluria Members

IMHO it's not a great choice for your requirements.

The Mi Box is too locked down and you'll be doing a lot of work sideloading and trying to get things to work while a cheap Android TV box that has already been rooted with lots of USB ports will do better.

That said I use a cheap android TV box to do the torrenting as well as act as a NAS to serve media TO my Mi Box which is excellent as a streaming client as it's properly locked down to support streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, Sling etc AS WELL as your ripped media.

3. Wilderone

Wilderone Members

Thanks for responding.

When you say sideloading apps what apps would they be?

I am making the 'assumption' that just like my Android Smartphone I would need to install something like Flud for downloading torrents.
    Then I'm assuming there is a preloaded media player to play such files or something like VLC from the play store?

As for storage, an external HDD would do the job?

Apart from that all I need is a web browser to frequent such torrent sites.

Any input, suggestions or comments on the above would be appreciated.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

4. Dave Deluria

Dave Deluria Members

Apps I used are tTorrent and Sambadroid. These are loaded into a cheap Android TV box that has 3-4 USB ports. I attach external drives to this TV box and have set tTorrent to save files directly into these external HDs.

I use Sambadroid so I can maintain the USB hard drives from my Laptop.

Then I installed KODI and set it so it can share media attached to it on the USB drives. Kodi has it's own DLNA/UPnP server. PLEX server for android might also suit your requirements.

On the Mi Box attached to the TV I also installed KODI (or Plex) that is used as a client to browse/play for media stored on the NAS Android box.

Hope this helps

5. Wilderone

Wilderone Members

Cheers, thanks for the detailed setup.
    Can I ask the model of the box you have?

I can see a few on AliExpress MDZ-16- AB

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

6. Dave Deluria

Dave Deluria Members

Yes I use MDZ-16-AB. It's the ONLY one suited for international use outside of China and has a valid Netflix license to support 4K streams. Don't buy anything else to avoid grief.

Share Our Site