About "/persist"...

XiaomiPenguin

Members
Feb 28, 2017
Hi,

Anyone tried to delete all that was inside the "/persist" partition on the mi5s Plus ?

Does it cause problems if I do so ? Or will everything be replaced upon a re-install or reboot ?

Thanks for your answers.

Regards.

Hi,

Simply put : because I am trying to find a solution to my GPS problems in the Xiaomi mi5s Plus.
I get constant signal losses.
I think that the GPS relies on "sensors".
And the "persist" partitions seems to store some data about the sensors.

But maybe I am just stupid...

I maybe should try to flash an official ROM in Fastboot mode first...
That would probably reinstall the .radio
But I can't as every single .tgz file I download isn't recognized in mi flash tool ;-(

Hi there,

So anyone can tell me : if I erase the content of that partition, will I be able to restore the content by flashing an official ROM with the "fastboot" method ?

Regards.

Hi,

So, as I said, I deleted everything in that partition called "persist".
I then downloaded an official Xiaomi ROM and flashed it with the fastboot method.
Device rebooted as it should and seems to work as it should also.

Only thing that remains to be checked : will it now have a GPS that is working better ?
Or will I still have a device that isn't reliable to show me the path ?

If it's not solved : mi5s Plus will make it's way to an ad site to be sold...
Hope I won't loose too much money :-(

Hi,

Nope, it did not.
Flashing a custom ROM improved things, but did not iron them out for good.
Not a problem : phone went to ad site and was sold... with the problem mentioned of course !
I replaced it with a mi5s Plus 4/64 and that one is working flawlessly !
Maybe it's because it's Android 7.1.2 that was running with custom ROM ?
Can't tell...

I also got a mi Note 2.
Probably the WORST phone I ever had...
I kept it 2 days and them packed it again and it's now for sale...
Maybe I got a defective unit ?

My boss bought Mi5s Plus 128 the same as mine and he got GPS issue with exactly same config and OS ver as mine...
both using China Dev 7.5.4, rooted, unlocked....

checked using GPS Test app, mine can easily see and lock onto 14 sats in 10 secs while my boss' needs about 2 mins to lock onto 7 sats...
both phones placed side-by-side...

I'm gonna try to disassemble his phone and bend the GPS antenna spring contacts upwards....
that was the case with his old Samdung Note 3, the spring contact from motherboard didn't met the GPS antenna coz it was too flat....

maybe you can try that first before selling the phone if you ever got same problem again....

Hi Cresfang,

That is what I wanted to do too... But then : opening the mi5 was a breeze.
With the "unibody" conception of the mi5s Plus, I thought I would be running into problems and so I let it go :)
Phone is already sold... so problem solved.

But at least it explains why Xiaomi can sell for such a low price.
That would be unacceptable on a Samsung or on an iPhone.
And if it'd happen, you would be able to take them back to store and claim for a warranty.

Xiaomi doesn't sell outside of China... officially.
But they cannot ignore that they do and probably for a large amount of devices.
And this is pure profit to them... They sell for the same price, but do not have to take care about warranty !

Once you know it and if you accept to deal with it, it's OK.
But it's like a lottery :
I get a cracking device => I'm a winner.
I get a defective device => I'm a sucker...

I've been a sucker twice I think :-(
With mi5S Plus 6/128 and mi Note 2 (display is so bad I can't even imagine anyone releasing such a phone with such a display !).

Regards.

Not really, I got 2 samsung with problem....
Tab S 8.4 LTE got battery problem in 3 mos after purchase, covered by warranty.
N3 got GPS problem since first day, not covered by warranty.... I opened it myself....
samsung's sucks recently....

What's the problem with your Note2 display?

Hi,

The mi Note 2 has AMOLED display and I experienced the same problems with OnePlus 3.
The display get's all bluish when at about 25° view angle.
And when looked with no angle, colours seem to be "washed out" : white is light grey and such things.
Probably a defective device... but then again, GSM Arena noticed the same thing. While other sites reports a really magnificent display.
We clearly don't have the same definition of "magnificent" OR I got a defective device :-(
Which no one wants to buy :-(

I'll lower my asking price.

Regards.

Reactions: CresFang