Android Nougat Vs Android Oreo On Xiaomi Mi A1: Performance, Battery Test, And Speed Test

Thoughts on Oreo vs Nougat?

• Great!

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Terrible

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

alfredk_

Members
Jan 12, 2018
I was really excited to have been able to be one of the first to have the Oreo update of the Stock Android OS. It promised many improvements for the devices able to download it, and I just couldn’t wait to put the Nougat and Oreo to the test and see if Google lived up to its promises.

Here's a little video I did on it:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

MAIN FEATURES
One of the first new features you see on the phone is that the notification bar changed it’s color to a white background. Some may feel annoyed about it’s brightness but I personally found it to feel more familiar since I come from iOS. It also added some new options like the battery saver in one click, and a hotspot button which if I’m not mistaken, it wasn’t there before. It also adds the possibility of adding shortcuts to some third-party apps and do specific actions like offline mode for Spotify or turn on/ turn off auto Shazams. I also feel a better flow and smoothness to how it runs. Another subtle change you can do to your UI is to change the app icon shapes to Square, “Squircle”, which are rounded squares, circles, and teardrops. I felt curious to see how it worked, but unfortunately, not all apps comply with the command and some fail to change their shape. So I preferred staying in default mode.

The last big change as for UX was the implementation of notification badges for app icons, like in iOS. They improved on them though. Instead of showing the number of notifications you have for a certain app, you can long press the icon and show the notification to then swipe away to dismiss or tap to apply actions like replying, downloading, and so on, depending on the app.

PROCESSING PERFORMANCE TEST
I used a bunch of Geekbench results for the processing power of the Nougat Xiaomi Mi A1. As you can see on the video, the highest scores of this particular page are 876 for single core and 4253 for multicore scores. With my personal results after I updated to Oreo, there’s not much of a difference since I didn’t even get a major score for single core, but on a positive note, my device managed to land on the 43 hundreds for multi core, something none of the Nougat devices managed to accomplish.

BATTERY TEST
To be honest, this was the feature that amazed me the most. The difference in battery power in my experience has been COMPLETELY INSANE. With Nougat, I could manage to squeeze 2 days worth of battery Power out of the Mi A1, but with Oreo, I could manage to last THREE DAYS and then some of battery life! And I was using it for emulating, using google maps, social media, the camera app, and more. It was fairly normal use but full of battery draining apps, and I still managed this. Two words: KICK ASS. It was a pleasing and Mind-blowing difference! And to think I was used to charging twice a day with my iPhone 5s… So glad those days are over for now.

And now for the main event…the Speed test.

SPEED TEST
APPS The first test is an app loading speed test. I apologize in advance, I didn’t download all those fancy apps everyone does for these tests, but the ones I used were good and broad enough to get the point across. There’s almost no difference, but slowly and surely, the Oreo version starts to distance itself from the Nougat version. In the end, the Oreo version performed all tasks in under almost 2 seconds away from Nougat, corroborating the Geekbench results from earlier.

BOOT UP The last speed test I did was the boot up speed test. This was one of the stronger promises of Oreo and I was excited to test it up since to be frank, I feel iOS boots up a lot faster than this phone with Nougat, at least. The first boot up of this phone felt like an eternity to me. Anyway, at first glance, it seems that the Nougat version reaches the password input screen faster than the Oreo version. But then the magic happens. The Oreo version boots up in almost a blink after the password screen, blowing the Nougat version out of the water. A difference of almost 10 seconds in boot up time.

So what do you think? Are you still waiting for Oreo? Are you going to stay with Nougat? Want me to run other tests? As for me, I think I have a very clear winner in terms of power, battery life and speed. Up until now, I’m not missing Nougat a bit!

Reactions: iamme729
Hy,
Please tell us the oreo for this phone has activate quick charge for this model?
How is time to charge in oreo?
Thank you.

[QUOTE =“iamme729,post:410278,member:131617”] 4月3日我去美国的时候会有我的... :)[/ QUOTE]
交换时间?