Annoying ads

gelapir

Members
Nov 25, 2018
Hello there,

I have Xiaomi redmi note 4x phone, i am fed up with that s**t ads and so what you will advice me? how to keep away from them?

If your phone is rooted you can install AdAway from open source f-droid store: https://f-droid.org/de/packages/org.adaway/

This app is easy to use and blocks all the ****

AdAway requieres root rights. To retain Goggle-pay-licensing you should root with Magisk 17.1 and activate "systemless hosts" to support adblock apps.

Reactions: lsteo
You can install the hosts file from Adaway from within TWRP, with the file manager, without root.

system/etc/hosts

The hosts file is what actually blocks the ads, the Adaway app just enables automatic updates.

There is no need to update the hosts file that often

Reactions: gelapir
You can install the hosts file from Adaway from within TWRP, with the file manager, without root.

system/etc/hosts

The hosts file is what actually blocks the ads, the Adaway app just enables automatic updates.

There is no need to update the hosts file that often

Can you please how to do that: You can install the hosts file from Adaway from within TWRP, with the file manager, without root.?

I have never done it.

Thanks.

Can you please how to do that: You can install the hosts file from Adaway from within TWRP, with the file manager, without root.?

I have never done it.

Thanks.

Well, first you have to understand how TWRP works, and how to use the file manager in TWRP.
And you have to have a basic understanding of the file system in Android, which is generally the same as in Unix.

The hosts file is usually, but not allways, located at:
System/etc/hosts

All you have to do is find a hosts file you want to change to, download it to somewhere in your device, like to
Download/hosts

Then you boot into TWRP, usually have to mount the system partition, then go to the file manager, and copy your hosts file to the system/etc directory, overwriting the original hosts file.

You can make a copy of the original hosts file if you want, but it is usually basically empty.

Where to find a good Adaways hosts file is another question.
Best is if you can get one generated by Adaway from someone running Adaway.
Adaways basic, "raw" if you like, hosts files are located here:

https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/wiki/HostsSources

There are quite a few providers of hosts files on GitHub.
DYODD

Keep in mind that TWRP has root access while running, even if your device is not "rooted".
One little mistake and you can create big problems for yourself.

Last edited:
Reactions: gelapir
Welk

Well, first you have to understand how TWRP works, and how to use the file manager in TWRP.
And you have to have a basic understanding of the file system in Android, which is generally the same as in Unix.

The hosts file is usually, but not allways, located at:
System/etc/hosts

All you have to do is find a hosts file you want to change to, download it to somewhere in your device, like to
Download/hosts

Then you boot into TWRP, usually have to mount the system partition, then go to the file manager, and copy your hosts file to the system/etc directory, overwriting the original hosts file.

You can make a copy of the original hosts file if you want, but it is usually basically empty.

Where to find a good Adaways hosts file is another question.
Best is if you can get one generated by Adaway from someone running Adaway.
Adaways basic, "raw" if you like, hosts files are located here:

https://github.com/AdAway/AdAway/wiki/HostsSources

There are quite a few providers of hosts files on GitHub.
DYODD

Keep in mind that TWRP has root access while running, even if your device is not "rooted".
One little mistake and you can create big problems for yourself.
Thanks. friend. I installed Adguard at that time. I will be carefully if i will decide do change host file as u told me. Thanks a lot .