Bricked: Xiaomi Redmi 4x 5.0''

Mixxalych

Members
Mar 28, 2016
Hi guys,

I think I have bricked Xiaomi Redmi 4X 5.0''. Here is what I did:

1. Unlocked bootloader with Mi Unlock Tool (official method)
2. Used fastboot boot to boot into TWRP-santoni (3.x.x. version, downloaded on 16 Jn 2017)
3. Wiped all partitions (including system and data)
4. Cleared all cache and data
4. Entered "ADB Sideload" mode in the TWRP
5. Used cmd to adb sideload the MIUI 8.7 (santoni) 7.6.8 beta by xiaomi.eu
6. Hit "Reboot" in the TWRP once sideload and uunpacking finished

RESULT:

1. Blank black screen at all times
- No LEDs
- No fastboot
- No 'Mi' logo
- No vibration

2. When I connect it to PC, I get "Unknown USB Device (error getting device descriptor)" in the Control Panel / Device Manager.

QUESTION:
What should I do next?

SOME FURTHER INFO:
I made exaclty those steps with exactly same TWRP and ROM six weeks ago to flash another Xiaomi Redmi 4X and everything went perfect. the only difference I could think of was that the previous phone was 5.5", this one is 5.0, yet I am unsure how relevant this is to the case.

Thanks a lot for any advice you could provide.

Can you boot into twrp mode again?

Unfortunately no. The screen is permanently blank and black at all times:

- No fastboot mode
- No recovery mode
- No 'Mi' logo
- No vibration
- No LEDs flashing or lit

The only way I could know it's somehow alive is that my PC happens to detect it as "Unknown USB device".

It is the first time I see anything like that.

I
You can try with Mi Flash tool maybe?

I will try that later once I get home, thank you.

Would you know:

1. Where can I get a ROM to try flashing via Mi Flash Tool?

2. Would flashing the CN ROM get my bootloader locked again so I will need to re-apply to Xiaomi for unlock permissions?

3. What if Mi Flash Tool won't see the phone? Are there any other ways to bring it back to life?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Try with this en.miui.com/thread-720781-1-1.html

Thank you, but it won't work I am afraid. MiFlash fails to see the device even with Qualcomm drivers installed. Although I didn't install the latest ones, I had those installed 2 years ago when I bought my first Xiaomi.

Is this the case that MiFlash needs a phone booted into working OS?

I think the mistake you made was wiping system partition. You should never do that.
I don't know if Redmi 4X goes to EDL with special cable but it most definitely does with the test pins on the motherboard.
You have to open it, take the plastic cover off the motherboard and use a pin to short circuit the test pins on the motherboard while connecting the usb cable to it. The PC will detect it as Qualcomm download poer 9008. You can flash it with MiFlash.
Oh..there's a tutorial already. I did it for my mi5 back in the day, but look on google. redmi 4x unbrick. 1st link is for the miui forum.
good luck

I think the mistake you made was wiping system partition. You should never do that.
I don't know if Redmi 4X goes to EDL with special cable but it most definitely does with the test pins on the motherboard.
You have to open it, take the plastic cover off the motherboard and use a pin to short circuit the test pins on the motherboard while connecting the usb cable to it. The PC will detect it as Qualcomm download poer 9008. You can flash it with MiFlash.
Oh..there's a tutorial already. I did it for my mi5 back in the day, but look on google. redmi 4x unbrick. 1st link is for the miui forum.
good luck

Thanks man, will try that. Do you have a link to the guide?

On a side note, it looks like you're a big fan of the old "Hackers" movie :D