Invalid Cannot disable notifications about "app X is displaying over other apps" - Mi 9T Pro with MIUI 11.0.2 stable

ovizii

Members
Oct 7, 2019
using 9t PRo with MIUI 11 => 11.0.2 stable

so I have an app that is displaying over other apps. I allowed it and want this behaviour.
Android is showing me a system notification " app X is displaying above other apps".
I don't want this notification.

I swipe the notification to the left, click on the gears symbol next to the notificatio, then select "all categories" disable "show notification", click back.
The result is, that the notification is still there.

I tried this way too:
go to setting => apps => manage apps => select the "..." then: show system apps => Android System => in the section "display over other apps" there is an option: "app X is displaying over other apps" => click on this => BUG BUG BUG I'm back in the Android System setting without having been able to access any settings for "app X is displaying over other apps"

I hope someone can double check if what I am doing is correct? MAybe someoien can confirm this behaviour.

Don't think you can make android system notifications turn off, they have to show. I couldn't on any other phone I had. What if you select minimal

Sent from my MI CC 9 using Tapatalk

I try once to disable an specific app notifications with this message but, its taken as all android notification, it actually it did not allow me to disable that annoying notification.
Let us know if you manage to disable that

Sent from my MI 8 UD using Tapatalk

Yes, this used to be possible in MIUI 10, but since the update to 11 it's also broken for me. It is indeed a bug. When you long press the notification and then disable this notification in the settings screen that shows up, the following error gets logged on the device:

Code:
E/MiuiNotificationBackend: Error updateChannel android:com.android.server.wm.AlertWindowNotification - package.name.of.app.that.is.displaying.over.others
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Channel does not exist

Reactions: ovizii
Yes, this used to be possible in MIUI 10, but since the update to 11 it's also broken for me. It is indeed a bug. When you long press the notification and then disable this notification in the settings screen that shows up, the following error gets logged on the device:

Code:
E/MiuiNotificationBackend: Error updateChannel android:com.android.server.wm.AlertWindowNotification - package.name.of.app.that.is.displaying.over.others
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Channel does not exist
Thanks for confirming. Any idea how to report this as a bug? I mean its here in the bug section but apparently nobody has taken note of this thread.

using 9t PRo with MIUI 11 => 11.0.2 stable

so I have an app that is displaying over other apps. I allowed it and want this behaviour.
Android is showing me a system notification " app X is displaying above other apps".
I don't want this notification.

I swipe the notification to the left, click on the gears symbol next to the notificatio, then select "all categories" disable "show notification", click back.
The result is, that the notification is still there.

I tried this way too:
go to setting => apps => manage apps => select the "..." then: show system apps => Android System => in the section "display over other apps" there is an option: "app X is displaying over other apps" => click on this => BUG BUG BUG I'm back in the Android System setting without having been able to access any settings for "app X is displaying over other apps"

I hope someone can double check if what I am doing is correct? MAybe someoien can confirm this behaviour.
So, I think I managed to find a workaround for this. The reason that when you click the "app X is displaying over other apps" button, you get a bug, is that, when you enter the notification settings, all apps that display over other apps stop doing that (at least mine did, you can check if the notification is still there for the app you're trying to do this for, if not, then that's the reason you can't click it).

So, in order to be able to access this setting, you need the app to still be running when you open your settings. The way I did this, is that I opened two apps is dual screen, then opened the settings by long-clicking the notification about the app displaying over other apps. Now this notification will disappear again, however, by doing some stuff in the other app I still had open, I could make it come back, which allowed me to click the "app X is displaying over other apps" button in settings and switch it off.

However, now the app that is overlaying the other apps will be shut off again, so before saving these settings by exiting, make sure to make the notification reappear by doing stuff in the other app again. After that, you can exit your settings and the notification should be gone

So, I think I managed to find a workaround for this. The reason that when you click the "app X is displaying over other apps" button, you get a bug, is that, when you enter the notification settings, all apps that display over other apps stop doing that (at least mine did, you can check if the notification is still there for the app you're trying to do this for, if not, then that's the reason you can't click it).

So, in order to be able to access this setting, you need the app to still be running when you open your settings. The way I did this, is that I opened two apps is dual screen, then opened the settings by long-clicking the notification about the app displaying over other apps. Now this notification will disappear again, however, by doing some stuff in the other app I still had open, I could make it come back, which allowed me to click the "app X is displaying over other apps" button in settings and switch it off.

However, now the app that is overlaying the other apps will be shut off again, so before saving these settings by exiting, make sure to make the notification reappear by doing stuff in the other app again. After that, you can exit your settings and the notification should be gone

You are an absolute genius, my friend!
Works for messenger which I was originally having issues with. Took some fiddling about but managed to get it to work!
Steps which worked for me:
1. Open a chat head
2. Open messenger in the background
3. Split screen the settings window with messenger (You should now be able to click "x is displaying over other apps")
4. Disable it (This will make the messenger chat head disappear)
5. Drag the split-screen bar down to make settings the main window. (This should make the chat head appear again since messenger is not in the foreground )
6. Press back on the settings menu to save!

If anyone is still struggling with this i have a fix that will definitely work(currently on MIUI 12.0.7) please follow these steps:

SETTINGS--->APPS--->MANAGE APPS--->on the top right corner press on the 3 dot menu select SHOW ALL APPS--->on the list press on ANDROID SYSTEM---> scroll down to "PERMISSIONS" panel--->NOTIFICATIONS--->scroll down to the DISPLAY OVER OTHER APPS------> Disable it......you are all WELCOMED!!! thank me laters! cheers!

Reactions: Homeye