Casting Netflix From Android Phone To Mibox3 Android Tv

Discussion in 'Xiaomi Mi Box / Mi TV' started by Avalynchel, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Avalynchel

AvalynchelMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Male
    I have problems casting Netflix to MiBox3 Android TV (MDZ-16-AB).
    * If I try it from my android phone it starts the netflix app on the MiBox but only shows the netflix start screen and does not play the video. On the phone the video is displayed as paused and after a while I get error 16001.
    * If I try it from the Chrome browser on Windows 10 the player does not show the casting button. If I click the Casting...-item in the browser menu I do get the MiBox3 as an option but if I select netflix.com as the source (as opposed to the desktop or tab) it says there are no casting destinations.
    All other services I tried like youtube, vimeo and a couple of Swedish play services works great when casting. Also, using the netflix Android TV app from the play store works as well, just not the casting part.
    Xiaomi support had me resetting the box and then telling me to contact Netflix support. Netflix support had me restart the box and logout from netflix and then telling me that Xiaomi probably did not support casting Netflix from the MiBox.
    Can anyone else cast Netflix from their Android phones to the MiBox?

2. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    Why not run the native Netflix app from google store on your MiBox? Why complicate things with casting

3. Avalynchel

AvalynchelMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Male
    Mostly because searching is easier in the app, especially when voice search is not available for Netflix on the box.

4. Barryallen

BarryallenMembers

Jan 1, 2017
    Male
    I can't cast from anything, especially as you can't get all 4 app and iPlayer on android TV I would really like that option.

5. miboy

miboyMembers

Jul 29, 2015
    voice search is not available for Netflix on the box ???? Since when?

You clearly have issues normally not seen with this box. Seek a replacement

6. Avalynchel

AvalynchelMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Male
    Is voice search working for you in Netflix? Where do you access it? If I'm in the netflix app and press the voice button on the remote nothing happens. If using voice search in the Android TV main UI then the search results does not contain items from Netflix.

7. klint

klintMembers

Jan 6, 2017
    I have the exact same issue as you.

Casting was working fine from Netflix up until a few days ago, and now nothing I have tried has fixed it, but every other app I cast works fine.

Have you found a solution?

8. Avalynchel

AvalynchelMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Male
    Nope. Been in contact with both Xiaomi and Netflix support. Xiaomi had me do the usual runaround with resetting the unit etc. Then they asked where I bought it and said that Geekbuying was no an authorized reseller and that they had no service centers. Netflix said that the MiBox probably didn't support it. I've read that Netflix does not support casting to Android TV but that seems strange given that you had it working before. My guess is that Netflix did some change which is incompatible with the MiBox or Android TV in general.

9. klint

klintMembers

Jan 6, 2017
    Thanks for the reply.

Yeah I think you're right about there being some change on the Netflix side of things, as I have found that casting Netflix has also stopped working on my Fetch TV (I don't think it's officially supported for casting, but it was working until recently), although casting still works fine on my Chromecast.

BTW I have tested casting with multiple phones and tablets and none of them can cast Netflix anymore (have no problems casting YouTube and other apps to the Mi Box though).

I know a few other guys with a Mi Box, and casting still works for them, so at this stage I am giving up spending time troubleshooting and will wait for an Android TV update and / or Netflix update.

10. azbest_hu

azbest_huMembers

Mar 13, 2017
    Male
    Hungary
    Actually, when you delete the netflix app from the box and try to cast from a device, itt will load a screen which says:

Please update the Netflix application on your mobile device to continue casting Netflix to this TV. Netflix works with Android 4.0 and later, IOS 6.0 and later, and the latest version of chrome.

So something is messed up.

11. RichardB

RichardBMembers

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    #11RichardB,Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    The voice search works perfectly in English for youtube and other google related stuff, but has anyone found a way to get voice to work for netflix title browsing?

12. Avalynchel

AvalynchelMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Male
    No, but the general voice search (on the Android TV ui) does give search results from Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

13. RichardB

RichardBMembers

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    What do you mean, from the home screen? Can you give an example how voice from the remote can search netflix? Thx :D

Also, how on earth do you delete the garbage apps the xiaomi mi box comes with?

14. Avalynchel

AvalynchelMembers

Dec 29, 2016
    Male
    Yes, from the home screen. If I search for "house of cards" I get a box as the result with a button stating "available on Netflix". If I press the button it will go to that title in Netflix.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

15. RichardB

RichardBMembers

Jun 17, 2017
    Male
    Thanks for the help :)

I kinda wish I could go back in time and spend 25-35$ more to get a box that had all this stuff done better.

Share Our Site