Does unlocked bootloader affect banking apps or other anti root apps

It may do depends on the app. I only unlock bootloader to flash another ROM. I don't think it did on my apps but I was only on Global for a couple of days before flashed EU which ignores it anyway and runs as if it's locked, even though it's not.

Reactions: Profixit
Thanks for the reply Mark.
I'm planning on getting a Mi 11 pro.
I want to flash EU rom.
To do this, the bootloader must be unlocked.
I'm worried about apps detecting that.
I'm also reading, you can't relock the bootloader. Soft brick.

Are Google services working on global, EU roms?

Any one with this phone, please confirm.
Thanks

1. To flash whatever ROM you want a part from the stock ROM your phone came preinstalled with, yes you bootloader must be unlocked.
  2. Apps detect that but there are workarounds.
  3. You can relock your bootloader if you install the stock ROM your phone came preinstalled with.
  4. Xiaomi EU ROM is a custom ROM based on the stock Chinese ROM (and firmware) with Google services blended in (but it keeps Xiaomi dialer and SMS text app instead of Google's). Global ROM is the official stock ROM that comes preinstalled on Global devices,so it is something different.
Hope I dissolved your confusion

Thanks for the reply Mark.
I'm planning on getting a Mi 11 pro.
I want to flash EU rom.
To do this, the bootloader must be unlocked.
I'm worried about apps detecting that.
I'm also reading, you can't relock the bootloader. Soft brick.

Are Google services working on global, EU roms?

Any one with this phone, please confirm.
Thanks
The EU ROM hides the fact it is unlocked. You cannot lock it in EU.

The Mi 11 pro 12Gb, 256Gb, as far as I know, is sold as a Chinese Rom only. With no google.
Can relock bootloader.

I would need to flash (most probably) EU rom to get Google stuff.
Bootloader is unlocked but hiden.

I'm still concerned that banking apps are always one step ahead. Zero tolerance towards discrepancies.

Thanks for all the reply's

Safetynet and widevine DRM L1 passes on the EU ROM. The most secure app I have used is the Skygo app. This is one that cannot be hidden by Magisk but it works fine with the EU ROM. I use Lloyds Bank app fine. If you have a specific app, then let us know what it is. Someone may already use it.
There was one bank, BSO, that would not install but I found that by just deleting the twrp, it worked fine.

Contactless, Balance, transfers, ins and outs. All very handy.

It's also a good indication of firmware vulnerabilities. Streaming apps too.

I've also got the Mi 11 Pro and in the UK, only one instance that an app didn't work, was Santander but was resolved via help from this forum.

Contactless I assume you use Google pay right? In that case it works easily with Magisk hide. For the rest you can use your browser

Contactless I assume you use Google pay right? In that case it works easily with Magisk hide. For the rest you can use your browser

No, I use banking apps.
Authorising larger payments too.
Good suggestion.
Probably a bit more fiddly, I'll check out the browser experience, thanks

I have always used the browser for banking, no headaches of any kind, super easy and another app less that consumes battery in background. For contactless payment I'm "old school", I use my card, lol

No problem here with Mi 11 Ultra on EU stable ROM. I have three different banking app working fully.

I have no checked contactless payment with Google Pay yet, but that app didn't show any error message when I added my credit/debit cards.

Regards.

I'm just on the edge of installing Xiaomi.eu rom. I know google pay works i just need to confirm if anyone had problems with hsbc and metro bank apps.
Funny thing though on my previous phone - OnePlus 7T Pro - i had it rooted and everythyng was working fine except for the Oyster card app - it was saying the phone is rooted. I tried everything but still no go. It's funny because it's a local app, mainly for London, and you can't really steal information or money with it or sometnhing and it was better protected than the banking apps.

Hello,

i may be a little late, but i can tell you that at least it should work. My bank's apps (contactless payment and account checking) works with the EU rom without problem. Same for Paypal.

Never to late. Thanks for your precise reply.
I had forgotten about PayPal.
I'm getting a positive vibe from all the replys, keep them coming.

My Mi 11 pro has been shipped, now just the anxiety of UK customs, how they treat the consignment.
I can't back out now, I'm committed.

As the title says.
Any feedback is most appreciated.
It depends on which OS you are running. When running a stock OS, like EEA or Global, it always failed, But with Xiaomi.eu, Gpay works for me. So if you are running a stock rom with an unlocked bootloader, you will need to install Magisk which will root your phone. You then have to download the code to pass safetynet.

I'll experiment with the Chinese Stock rom first. If it doesn't suit my needs I'll flash Xiaomi.eu Rom, which Apprently hides the unlocked bootloader. No mention of Magisk.

In the old days, when the phones I bought where locked to a carrier.
Rooting among other hacks was the only way to make the phone SIM free.

All the phones I now buy are SIM free.

There seems to be less and less reason to have rooted phone.
I've been 4 or 5 years without a rooted phone and have not missed it one bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: VDR66 and Vankata
Don't go down the Magisk route unless you really have to. After you root it, Magisk cannot hide everything, some DRM apps like SkyGo won't work, it just knows that it is rooted ( on my EU ROM phone).
My bank apps all work fine without, some just need the twrp folder to be deleted before install.