Encrypted phone question

huangjunwei

Members
Nov 11, 2016
My phone says it is encrypted (as shown) do I need to do anything before flashing Eu rom? If so, what should I do? I am using global from that is flashed from china rom after unlocking

My phone says it is encrypted (as shown) do I need to do anything before flashing Eu rom? If so, what should I do? I am using global from that is flashed from china rom after unlockingView attachment 24599

You'll need to boot into TWRP recovery, it will prompt you for your lock screen password to decrypt your partitions.

Then Wipe > Format Data button. All your data and storage will be wiped of course, so make sure you've done your necessary backups.

(NOT Wipe > slide to factory reset, as this won't remove the encryption which is required to install xiaomi.eu ROM)

Transfer xiaomi.eu (and optionally magisk) zip via USB in TWRP, install it (and magisk zip if you want root) and you're good to go.

Last edited:
Reactions: felipedblaz
You'll need to boot into TWRP recovery, it will prompt you for your lock screen password to decrypt your partitions.

Then Wipe > Format Data button. All your data and storage will be wiped of course, so make sure you've done your necessary backups.

(NOT Wipe > slide to factory reset, as this won't remove the encryption which is required to install xiaomi.eu ROM)

Transfer xiaomi.eu (and optionally magisk) zip via USB in TWRP, install it (and magisk zip if you want root) and you're good to go.
Please, why do you ask to format data?
If TWRP ask for pin PW and accept it, dencryption will be done and at this point you just have to load the new rom zip and to install it.
Then after reboot phone will encrypt again in order to protect your data as mandatory.
This is the normal TWRP behavior when it works well as it is the case with this phone.
NOTE:
If twrp doesn't ask for password you MUST follow your advices. you are made! and you have wait for a working twrp version.

Please, why do you ask to format data?
If TWRP ask for pin PW and accept it, dencryption will be done and at this point you just have to load the new rom zip and to install it.
Then after reboot phone will encrypt again in order to protect your data as mandatory.
This is the normal TWRP behavior when it works well as it is the case with this phone.
NOTE:
If twrp doesn't ask for password you MUST follow your advices. you are made! and you have wait for a working twrp version.

It's required to remove encryption completely to install xiaomi.eu ROM when coming from native MIUI ROMs. You'll need to setup new encryption in xiaomi.eu ROM (done for you when you set a new lockscreen password). If you try to install xiaomi.eu ROM without doing this, the install will fail in my experience.

Format data button doesn't just decrypt the phone it removes the encryption security information (i.e. your encrypted lockscreen password) which is important when you move to Xiaomi.eu ROM. If you factory reset, it doesn't do this, which is misleading that it uses the term 'factory reset', a state where normally there is no password set. This is why I was pointing out to you to use the format data button and not factory reset option. It's just the English terminology which needs better clarification in TWRP.

It's required to remove encryption completely to install xiaomi.eu ROM when coming from native MIUI ROMs. You'll need to setup new encryption in xiaomi.eu ROM (done for you when you set a new lockscreen password). If you try to install xiaomi.eu ROM without doing this, the install will fail in my experience.

Format data button doesn't just decrypt the phone it removes the encryption security information (i.e. your encrypted lockscreen password) which is important when you move to Xiaomi.eu ROM. If you factory reset, it doesn't do this, which is misleading that it uses the term 'factory reset', a state where normally there is no password set. This is why I was pointing out to you to use the format data button and not factory reset option. It's just the English terminology which needs better clarification in TWRP.
No problem, that"s understood but not clear he came from official china or previous EU rom that was encrypted.
Not enough details kills explanation!

No problem, that"s understood but not clear he came from official china or previous EU rom that was encrypted.
Not enough details kills explanation!

Apologies for not writing enough about the academic technicalities behind the various types of wipes in TWRP.

Just to repeat for clarity, you only need to use the format data button (wiping your locksreen credentials) when coming from a NATIVE MIUI ROM (that's china, global, developer) to xiaomi.eu ROM, not when you already have xiaomi.EU installed. When you are upgrading xiaomi.eu you have options of dirty flash (install without any wipe), or clean flash (install with 'factory reset' as TWRP calls it - wiping cache, dalvik, data partitions).

Reactions: LOLO9393
My phone says it is encrypted (as shown) do I need to do anything before flashing Eu rom? If so, what should I do? I am using global from that is flashed from china rom after unlockingView attachment 24599

What version of ROM do you have? Is it on Mi 9 and this screen was taken under "Dark mode"? How can I get the dark mode with xiaomi.eu ROM for mi 9? Thanks.

What version of ROM do you have? Is it on Mi 9 and this screen was taken under "Dark mode"? How can I get the dark mode with xiaomi.eu ROM for mi 9? Thanks.
I get the phone with China from installed. And then decided to change to global rom. Then after using global from for a while I wanted to change to Eu rom, thus I posted this.

If I remember correctly, The official xiaomi mi9 global rom do have dark mode.

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

Apologies for not writing enough about the academic technicalities behind the various types of wipes in TWRP.

Just to repeat for clarity, you only need to use the format data button (wiping your locksreen credentials) when coming from a NATIVE MIUI ROM (that's china, global, developer) to xiaomi.eu ROM, not when you already have xiaomi.EU installed. When you are upgrading xiaomi.eu you have options of dirty flash (install without any wipe), or clean flash (install with 'factory reset' as TWRP calls it - wiping cache, dalvik, data partitions).

Hu mcsmartie
i have 3 questions to ask, about Xiaomi flashing generical devices :

- in recovery, passing from Global to Xiaomi.eu ( weekly or stable ), after have made Format data, and reboot to recovery, and then Advanced wipe, in many twrp i can choose this 5 options :Dalvink/ART cache, Cashe, Vendor, Data, Internal storage, can i wipe this 5 things without have problems ?

- when i want pass from xiaomi.eu weekly to xiaomi.eu stable, i have to make wipe of the 5 things above ? For me is not important to loss something in the phone ( photos, passwords, ....).

- i have some smartphones to unlock, last unlock was made 3 days ago, for make another unlock i have read that i can make only 1 unlock in one month, but when are passed 15 days, can i begin to try to unlock the phone for not have to wait more time ( example 360 hours ) when the month will be finished ?

Thank's