fastboot problem

motoracer47

Members
Apr 2, 2019
Hi,
I tried searching, but could not find anything. I am having a issue installing twrp on a Mi 8 SE. I have adb/fastboot installed (not sure if I have the correct ones though, could be the problem) I boot the phone to fastboot, connect to computer, open a powershell in the adb folder, I type "fastboot device" it returns the correct info for the phone, I can type "fastboot help" and get a list of commands, but anything else I type ie "fastboot flash recover twrp.img" I get a failure to write to the device. The phone itself immediate goes black except in the upper left corner in tiny letters it says "press any key to shutdow" I press a key, it shuts down. I turn it back on, everything is fine. If this is an issue of not having the correct adb/fastboot installed, can anyone point to where the correct ones are?

Thanks
Brad

Hi,
I tried searching, but could not find anything. I am having a issue installing twrp on a Mi 8 SE. I have adb/fastboot installed (not sure if I have the correct ones though, could be the problem) I boot the phone to fastboot, connect to computer, open a powershell in the adb folder, I type "fastboot device" it returns the correct info for the phone, I can type "fastboot help" and get a list of commands, but anything else I type ie "fastboot flash recover twrp.img" I get a failure to write to the device. The phone itself immediate goes black except in the upper left corner in tiny letters it says "press any key to shutdow" I press a key, it shuts down. I turn it back on, everything is fine. If this is an issue of not having the correct adb/fastboot installed, can anyone point to where the correct ones are?

Thanks
Brad
You did unlock your Bootloader, right?

Sent from my MI 8 Explorer Edition using Tapatalk

Screenshot_2019-04-02-17-14-08-886_com.android.settings.png

To be more precise, by using mi unlock tool?

If so, ensure you have current mi usb drivers or use Linux / Mac, almost all Fastboot binaries should do it, especially if the device is recognized in the first place.

So, if your recovery image is the right one.. It should work... Take care of the file name, no spaces, not too long, ending .img.

Try again

Sent from my MI 8 Explorer Edition using Tapatalk

Hi,

Thanks
Brad
SURELY typing "fastboot flash recover twrp.img" will not give any good result. it should be "fastboot flash recovery twrp.img" expected your recovery is renamed 'twrp.img'.
Best boot trial just for check is "fasboot boot twrp.img". If the recovery file fits your phone model it will boot in seconds confirming your doing well.
bootloader is really unlocked? with unlock sign at boot screen?

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry, that was a typo in my post. Yes, I type "recovery" NOT "recover" but I understand you want to make sure. Also, the bootloader is for sure unlocked, yup, have unlocked symbol when first booting, and I have already flashed 2 roms to this phone before, read bellow for more info. So, a little more backstory, I didn't put this in the original post because I was not trying to make it too long.

I purchased this phone unlocked already with a custom ROM. Custom ROM was crap, decided to try a ROM from here. This was about 5-6 months ago, maybe a tad less. At the time I originally did this, I had to download adb/fastboot from a different site as there were no links to working one for the Mi 8 SE that I could find here. There was a link on the ROM download page to TWRP, but again, at that time, there was no twrp image specifically for the SE (sirius) just the Mi 8 Pro and the Mi 8 lite, so again, had to go to a different site to get twrp. I do not remember what sites I got adb/fastboot or twrp from. I will also point out that it seems every website has their own version of how to install this stuff, that is usually different than what anyone else says. So......originally I did have a working adb/fastboot on this computer, I found a twrp that worked, flashed recovery, everything went perfect. downloaded my first rom from here, and installed it. At that time, the latest beta rom was based on android 8.*. I installed that and it worked perfect. Used that for a few months, then checked back, and at that time, the latest STABLE rom, was MIUI 10 V10.2.2.0, downloaded that, installed through twrp, install went perfect, and that is what is currently on the phone. Problem is, that rom is actually not very stable at all, it started ok, but now, I have major issues with the rom. So you might be thinking..."well if you have twrp installed and have already flashed the phone, why are you installing again"? And, that is a good question. I somehow, I really do not understand how, but I somehow deleted twrp off the phone. The phone has NO RECOVERY at all, not even the factory Xiaomi recovery. NONE. So, about a month and a half ago, I had a problem with this laptop that basically required me to reinstall windows. There went the adb/fastboot drivers I had installed, as well as the original downloads of them and twrp.

So long story short....I have personally flashed this phone before, I did it with drivers and twrp found on other websites, and unfortunately, I do not remember what websites I got them from. I somehow deleted twrp off the phone. I had to reset my laptop so I lost the installed adb/fastboot, as well as all the files I originally downloaded to make this work the first time. I cannot find the websites again, web searches now provided different results than what they did 6 months ago I guess.

I feel decently confident that the problem is I do not have the correct files, but yet I am having a very hard time finding the correct files.
Its also possible that deleting twrp off the phone somehow screwed up fastboot? I don't know, maybe? Doesn't seem likely though

Can anyone provide a link to known, working adb/fastboot drivers that works with mi 8 se and windows 10?
Can anyone provide a link to known, working twrp for mi 8 se?

thanks again

Hi,
Sorry, that was a typo in my post. Yes, I type "recovery" NOT "recover" but I understand you want to make sure. Also, the bootloader is for sure unlocked, yup, have unlocked symbol when first booting, and I have already flashed 2 roms to this phone before, read bellow for more info. So, a little more backstory, I didn't put this in the original post because I was not trying to make it too long.

I purchased this phone unlocked already with a custom ROM. Custom ROM was crap, decided to try a ROM from here. This was about 5-6 months ago, maybe a tad less. At the time I originally did this, I had to download adb/fastboot from a different site as there were no links to working one for the Mi 8 SE that I could find here. There was a link on the ROM download page to TWRP, but again, at that time, there was no twrp image specifically for the SE (sirius) just the Mi 8 Pro and the Mi 8 lite, so again, had to go to a different site to get twrp. I do not remember what sites I got adb/fastboot or twrp from. I will also point out that it seems every website has their own version of how to install this stuff, that is usually different than what anyone else says. So......originally I did have a working adb/fastboot on this computer, I found a twrp that worked, flashed recovery, everything went perfect. downloaded my first rom from here, and installed it. At that time, the latest beta rom was based on android 8.*. I installed that and it worked perfect. Used that for a few months, then checked back, and at that time, the latest STABLE rom, was MIUI 10 V10.2.2.0, downloaded that, installed through twrp, install went perfect, and that is what is currently on the phone. Problem is, that rom is actually not very stable at all, it started ok, but now, I have major issues with the rom. So you might be thinking..."well if you have twrp installed and have already flashed the phone, why are you installing again"? And, that is a good question. I somehow, I really do not understand how, but I somehow deleted twrp off the phone. The phone has NO RECOVERY at all, not even the factory Xiaomi recovery. NONE. So, about a month and a half ago, I had a problem with this laptop that basically required me to reinstall windows. There went the adb/fastboot drivers I had installed, as well as the original downloads of them and twrp.

So long story short....I have personally flashed this phone before, I did it with drivers and twrp found on other websites, and unfortunately, I do not remember what websites I got them from. I somehow deleted twrp off the phone. I had to reset my laptop so I lost the installed adb/fastboot, as well as all the files I originally downloaded to make this work the first time. I cannot find the websites again, web searches now provided different results than what they did 6 months ago I guess.

I feel decently confident that the problem is I do not have the correct files, but yet I am having a very hard time finding the correct files.
Its also possible that deleting twrp off the phone somehow screwed up fastboot? I don't know, maybe? Doesn't seem likely though

Can anyone provide a link to known, working adb/fastboot drivers that works with mi 8 se and windows 10?
Can anyone provide a link to known, working twrp for mi 8 se?

thanks again
- link to known, working adb/fastboot drivers that works with mi 8 se and windows 10: (And much more infos!)
https://xiaomifirmware.com/roms/download-official-miui-roms-for-xiaomi-mi-8-se/

- link to known, working twrp for mi 8 se:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1IeCtb6vRO4CRe76s0BD_5TQiSnymPBTT
take 1102 or 1217 for any STABLE ROM or DEV . BUT must be 1227 for DEV 9.2.15 version.

In case you are rejected at TWRP installation, you just have to use MIFLASH and any official ROM that are available in the provided link, in order to refresh your phone.

NB: A quick search done in the site box would have given a faster answer to your requests.
My word.

Thank you. Sorry, after reading my post, I realize that came out the wrong way. While I was a little frustrated (mainly with myself and bad luck!) hopefully I didn't come across like I was mad at you guys or anything. Thank you very much for the info.

Also, when I am searching, should I put quotations around mi 8 se? When I searched the first time (about 5 months ago), I mainly got results for mi 8. (as far as fastboot and twrp) When I searched this time about the fastboot problem I was having, I couldn't find anything similar. I used terms like fastboot crash, fastboot crashing, fastboot failure, fastboot failed to write..I admit I am probably not a great searcher, and I also did not search this time for the files, but relied on that I could not find them last time, probably should have searched again.

Hi,
I tried to get twrp installed this weekend, but I'm still having the same issue. I followed the first link and downloaded adb/fastboot from that page, and got the twrp file from the 2nd link, same exact issue. I also tried using miflash, and same issue. With miflash, I put the phone into fastboot, connect to the computer with the program already running, hit the refresh button on the program, and bam, phone goes dark with the same message as before..press any key to shutdown.

While I dont know for sure, it would seem that my fastboot files on the phone are somehow corrupted. Is it possible to reinstall fastboot on the phone? Is there a way to install twrp without using fastboot? Did I basically brick it? I really don't know what to do at this point.

Hi,
I tried to get twrp installed this weekend, but I'm still having the same issue. I followed the first link and downloaded adb/fastboot from that page, and got the twrp file from the 2nd link, same exact issue. I also tried using miflash, and same issue. With miflash, I put the phone into fastboot, connect to the computer with the program already running, hit the refresh button on the program, and bam, phone goes dark with the same message as before..press any key to shutdown.

While I dont know for sure, it would seem that my fastboot files on the phone are somehow corrupted. Is it possible to reinstall fastboot on the phone? Is there a way to install twrp without using fastboot? Did I basically brick it? I really don't know what to do at this point.
Really, you are not lucky!
MIFLASH must work!
What is fastboot doing when you ask for "fastboot devices". no action?
Reinstalling fastboot may not be possible because it is at first level software and surely implemented at factory level in order nobody can modify it.
Last chance for getting out of this is searching at en-xiaomi where most/all issue are reported.
http://en.miui.com/forum.php
another way is to try XIAOMITOOLs application that is said to solve many issue. (get google/xda)
good luck

Last edited:
Hi,
Sorry to just get back to you, been pretty busy.
When I type "fastboot devices" it shows the phone connected. Its only when I try to write to flash that there is a problem. I have also tried "fastboot boot twrp.img" and get the same result. I have tried two different downloads for miflash...the first one I tried, I could start the program, put phone into fastboot, connect to computer and everything was fine, but when I would hit the refresh button in miflash, I have the issue. I uninstalled that version of miflash, and installed miflash pro. With miflash pro, I start the program, put the phone into fastboot, then as soon as I plug the phone into the computer the crash happens. Im going to try Xiaomitools next, then try that other forum. Again, thank you for the help!

BTW....Im wondering if I should try this on a different computer. This system is the one that I originally used to flash with, and while I have installed multiple adb/fastboot versions, I unistall the other version first, and run a registry cleaner and reboot before trying another version of adb/fastboot. Point being, I wonder if there are files/drivers still left on this system from other attempts that my registry cleaner is not getting, and they are conflicting with each other?

BTW....Im wondering if I should try this on a different computer. This system is the one that I originally used to flash with, and while I have installed multiple adb/fastboot versions, I unistall the other version first, and run a registry cleaner and reboot before trying another version of adb/fastboot. Point being, I wonder if there are files/drivers still left on this system from other attempts that my registry cleaner is not getting, and they are conflicting with each other?
I feel you have issue with the computer side. Fastboot is working and the phone as well!
Come to another PC and don't use USB 3 plug as precaution.

Success!!! kinda.....so I tried another pc, got adb/fastboot installed, connected the phone..
"fastboot flash recovery twrp.img"
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes.
sending "recovery" (65536 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.268s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ .469s]
finished. total time: 2.752s

then...
fastboot boot twrp.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [2.286s]
booting......

Then, nothing happens. just sits there. So I disconnect, phone is off. Vol+ power...phone boots to mi splash screen, been like that for almost 10 minutes. What did I do wrong?

Success!!! kinda.....so I tried another pc, got adb/fastboot installed, connected the phone..
"fastboot flash recovery twrp.img"
target reported max download size of 536870912 bytes.
sending "recovery" (65536 KB)...
OKAY [ 2.268s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [ .469s]
finished. total time: 2.752s

then...
fastboot boot twrp.img
downloading 'boot.img'...
OKAY [2.286s]
booting......

Then, nothing happens. just sits there. So I disconnect, phone is off. Vol+ power...phone boots to mi splash screen, been like that for almost 10 minutes. What did I do wrong?
what TWRP number?

It should be 1102 or 1217, in my view! not 1227 that is to be installed after flashing eu dev rom.

Also, there are 2 files for 1217... an img file for 1217 and a 7zip file that has fastboot in the name. Im assuming I should use the fastboot one?

That was it!!! I downloaded the 1217 image, flashed with fastboot, and bam, got twrp!!! I dont know how I missed the part where you said not to use 1227, I need to slow down when Im reading posts! Thank you very much for you help! Can I ask one more thing? There is another thread in the mi 8 forum here where someone was having issues with 1227. In that post, you posted a video from youtube on how to install twrp on a mi8 se. In that video, the person doing it wipes the system before flashing. On this forum in the ROM download section, it specifically says in bold letter..NEVER WIPE SYSTEM OR PERSISTANT...Im kinda confused...do I wipe system or no? Again thank you, I would have never figured this out without your help.

That was it!!! I downloaded the 1217 image, flashed with fastboot, and bam, got twrp!!! I dont know how I missed the part where you said not to use 1227, I need to slow down when Im reading posts! Thank you very much for you help! Can I ask one more thing? There is another thread in the mi 8 forum here where someone was having issues with 1227. In that post, you posted a video from youtube on how to install twrp on a mi8 se. In that video, the person doing it wipes the system before flashing. On this forum in the ROM download section, it specifically says in bold letter..NEVER WIPE SYSTEM OR PERSISTANT...Im kinda confused...do I wipe system or no? Again thank you, I would have never figured this out without your help.
Well ,done!
I didn't watched the video... so no comment about it.
No need to wipe anything because the rom installation will do it in first step! if you want clean install.
- wipe factory and format data is better. (TWRP/WIPE/FORMAT DATA/YES).
save your data before doing it.