FIXED Where/How do I unlock the China-sourced Xiaomi 12S Ultra?

Aug 15, 2022
Hi all.
My bad for not being that particularly experienced with smartphones. I bought the Xiaomi 12S Ultra from a Chinese-sourcing outlet through Yahoo (here in Japan), and it seems to be locked to China for phone use; as my (Japanese) Sim card does not recognize it (so I checked with Docomo, and the Sim card itself is fine [tested]). The rest of the phone works great, including Play Store etc.

Is there anyone/anywhere (paid or free) who can arrange for me to unlock it?

Or am I stuck with a phone that will never make calls outside of China?

Maybe there is some other element I do not know, so if anyone can point me in the correct direction it would be great. :emoji_santa:

Last edited:
There shouldn't be any need for unlocking to make phone calls outside China. I live in Denmark, and I have no problems with my Xiaomi 12D Ultra.

But: I discovered with my Mi Mix, that if I put the SiM card in slot 2, I couldn't make or receive calls or SMS. So of you have a nano SIM then try the other slot.

I hope this can help you. Good luck with your new super phone

Hi all.
My bad for not being that particularly experienced with smartphones. I bought the Xiaomi 12S Ultra from a Chinese-sourcing outlet through Yahoo (here in Japan), and it seems to be locked to China for phone use; as my (Japanese) Sim card does not recognize it (so I checked with Docomo, and the Sim card itself is fine [tested]). The rest of the phone works great, including Play Store etc.

Is there anyone/anywhere (paid or free) who can arrange for me to unlock it?

Or am I stuck with a phone that will never make calls outside of China?

Maybe there is some other element I do not know, so if anyone can point me in the correct direction it would be great.
I use my 12s Ultra in Switzerland and it does work. No problems with phone calls. Only one small issue: I cannot register my revolut app.
Perhaps your problems are comming from some restrictions from the Japenese provider? Did ask them?

Reactions: KissingerOffedJFK
I use my 12s Ultra in Switzerland and it does work. No problems with phone calls. Only one small issue: I cannot register my revolut app.
Perhaps your problems are comming from some restrictions from the Japenese provider? Did ask them?
I (indicated above) did ask Docomo (Phone company), and we tested the Sim, and mine worked fine in my Spouses phone, and her SIM card did not work in mine either. So we deduced that it could be the phone. I get a connection for a half-second every time I install the Sim Card, but then the phone is disconnected.

Docomo helpline say there may be an issue with the phone being locked; or that their phone service is not allowing it due to `security`? issues they have in place for some phones; but the person I spoke to did not know for sure one way or the other. But they are pretty happy to be taking my money each month for a service I now cannot receive.

What's your plan applied in NTT DOCOMO? ahamo, 5G or Xi(4G LTE)?
If you want to use NTT DOCOMO SIM Card with ahamo or 5G plan, you need to disable VoLTE carrier check first.
You can dial "*#*#86583#*#*" to do it.
Also, please check your APN settings, as DOCOMO use "spmode.ne.jp" APN.

---

念のため日本語でも記載します。
ドコモのSIMをahamoまたは5Gのプランで契約している場合、3Gにはつながらないので、VoLTEのキャリアチェックを無効化する必要があります。
ダイヤルの画面で「*#*#86583#*#*」と入力すればOKです。
また、APN設定が「spmode.ne.jp」になっていることを確認してください。

What's your plan applied in NTT DOCOMO? ahamo, 5G or Xi(4G LTE)?
If you want to use NTT DOCOMO SIM Card with ahamo or 5G plan, you need to disable VoLTE carrier check first.
You can dial "*#*#86583#*#*" to do it.
Also, please check your APN settings, as DOCOMO use "spmode.ne.jp" APN.

---

念のため日本語でも記載します。
ドコモのSIMをahamoまたは5Gのプランで契約している場合、3Gにはつながらないので、VoLTEのキャリアチェックを無効化する必要があります。
ダイヤルの画面で「*#*#86583#*#*」と入力すればOKです。
また、APN設定が「spmode.ne.jp」になっていることを確認してください。
THAT WORKED.
5G
YEOWZZZZAAAA THANK YOU.
Maybe it`s because I said a prayer half an hour ago.; but whatever the reason, you helped, it worked. BRILLIANT. :emoji_santa:

Same problem using my revolut app as well.

I installed xiomi.eu fw on my China based 12S Ultra few days ago, and I also have problems with registering Revolut at the part where I upload my selfie.

I installed xiomi.eu fw on my China based 12S Ultra few days ago, and I also have problems with registering Revolut at the part where I upload my selfie.
You might need to root the phone, then deny list revolut app and also instal safety net fix.

Safety net passed all checks, that was the first I checked.
The problem seems not to be related to xiaomi.eu ROM, as reported on XDA forum the problem is present/related to latest MIUI.

Last edited: