Full Wipe And Clean Install Xiaomi Mi5 Without Brick

Hobbes.

Members
Mar 22, 2016
Hello everyone!

From several months I have a auto pause bug in music or video apps. ( http://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/bug-auto-pause-in-music-movies-youtube-etc.39266/ )

I have not found a solution, so I think the only solution is to do a full wipe and clean installation, even if I don't like it...
But I saw that several people had brick their Mi5 during a full wipe.

What is the right process ? Do you a tutorial for a full wipe, and after a clean install ? What are the solutions to make a global backup ?

My phone has the bootleoader unlocked, and I'm currently root on version 7.27

Thanks a lot !

Hi, the full wipe part is harmless, I've done it without problem. Just wipe data, cache, and dalvik from TWRP. Just make sure you don't manually wipe /system.

But I think my pause problem comes from the system ... I do not know if deleting the data will be able to solve the problem unfortunately...

Since you're willing to do a data wipe anyway, you could start with that (again, without wiping /system) and see how it works...

Not completely sure (perhaps someone else could confirm) but I think the "safe" way to do a full, clean system install is by using the MiFlash tool and its wipe options when flashing an official MIUI ROM, and then flash .eu on top of that.

Ok, thanks for this information!

I will try a wipe data, and see if this solves the problem

You can wipe system too, no problem. I don't understand why everyone says to not touch system partition. I always wipe system on my mi5, mi4c, redmi 4A and mi pad 2.

Then you enable MTP on TWRP and transfer the ROM file from computer to mi5 with usb cable. You can check if you can do this before wiping system just to be safe

You can wipe system too, no problem. I don't understand why everyone says to not touch system partition. I always wipe system on my mi5, mi4c, redmi 4A and mi pad 2.

Then you enable MTP on TWRP and transfer the ROM file from computer to mi5 with usb cable. You can check if you can do this before wiping system just to be safe
Note that the devs themselves recommend not wiping /system manually on the ROM download page in here. That said, I too have always wondered why is it so. I think some people have reported damaging their EFS partition (hence losing their IMEI, rendering the phone unusable for cellular communication) when manually wiping /system. Not sure why or if it always happens.

Reactions: Hobbes.
Note that the devs themselves recommend not wiping /system manually on the ROM download page in here. That said, I too have always wondered why is it so. I think some people have reported damaging their EFS partition (hence losing their IMEI, rendering the phone unusable for cellular communication) when manually wiping /system. Not sure why or if it always happens.

Yes, I read that too. That's why I asked for advice.

I solved my music pause problem by wiping, with TWRP:
- Dalvik / ART Cache
- Cache
- Data

Don't wipe : "System" and "Internal Storage"

For those who want to restore their phone without data loss, keeping the layout of your icons :

- Backup with MIUI Backup (System and Apps). For WhatsApp, do a Drive backup.
- Wipe: Dalvik - ART Cache / Cache / Data
- Reboot

- Restore your apps ONLY
- Reboot this, so your apps needing root rights will ask them at startup.
- Then restore your settings, accounts, sms, the layout of your icons etc (if you have a google account that manages your contacts, do not restore them, where you will have duplicates)
- Reboot again

Reactions: Jaime DLH

You are right. It is a recommendation and everyone must follow if don't want messing the phone by mistake.

But, in name of alternative, if you feel confortable, you can backup the qcn with QPST before wiping system (just to be safe in case of IMEI loss), I'm yet to see loss of IMEI by wiping partitions with TWRP (with the correct versions, of course)

Reactions: Jaime DLH