Had Anybody Success In Connecting A Portable Hdd?

Posi1

Members
Jan 16, 2016
I am failing to connect a portable disk drive (Transcend 1TB StoreJet USB 3.0) to a Xiaomi RedmiPro (and also a Asus tablet).

I connected the phone and HDD with a USB 3.0 OTG y-cable to a power socket, so that the drive gets power.

I:
- partitioned the HDD in a 32 GB area (some suggest that 1TB is too large to be recognised by the phone)
- formatted the HDD in exFAT, FAT32 and NFTS to try the different formats
- Used different file managers (MLUSB mounter, USB OTG Helper and USB Media Explorer) from Play Store.

But none of the options worked.

Is it possible to connect a portable HDD to an Android phone? Is it a question of using the correct app or do I need to change settings on the phone or does this particular HDD does not work with Android?

I am using MIUI version Stable 8.1.2.0.

Thanks to anybody sharing wisdom on this matter.

I am failing to connect a portable disk drive (Transcend 1TB StoreJet USB 3.0) to a Xiaomi RedmiPro (and also a Asus tablet).

I connected the phone and HDD with a USB 3.0 OTG y-cable to a power socket, so that the drive gets power.

I:
- partitioned the HDD in a 32 GB area (some suggest that 1TB is too large to be recognised by the phone)
- formatted the HDD in exFAT, FAT32 and NFTS to try the different formats
- Used different file managers (MLUSB mounter, USB OTG Helper and USB Media Explorer) from Play Store.

But none of the options worked.

Is it possible to connect a portable HDD to an Android phone? Is it a question of using the correct app or do I need to change settings on the phone or does this particular HDD does not work with Android?

I am using MIUI version Stable 8.1.2.0.

Thanks to anybody sharing wisdom on this matter.
The main problem may be the power source more than the size of the partitions. I have a non-portable HDD (it uses a power source that is not the phone or PC where you connect it) and it works well on my RM Pro even if it has 3TB

Reactions: Posi1
The main problem may be the power source more than the size of the partitions. I have a non-portable HDD (it uses a power source that is not the phone or PC where you connect it) and it works well on my RM Pro even if it has 3TB

That is very interesting. Thank you for your response.
I should possibly test my USB 3.0 OTG y-cable. Maybe it is faulty.

Reactions: reichmyu