How To Change Stock Message App

Littlelegs

Members
Jan 2, 2016
Hi there. I am new to all this but hope someone can help. I have just bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 which is running MIUI 77.0.11.0 Stable. The stock messaging app is missing off part of the letters on the first line of my messages. Also I dont like this standard app as it doesn't give me the information for read/delivery receipts and I don't like it's appearance. I would like to install a new SMS app. I have tried several (Go SMS Pro, Textra, etc) , and none of them work as default, despite choosing the default option in the settings and Autostart etc. Where am I going wrong? Is it possible at all the change to a new messaging app as the stock one is faulty. Please help

I have just bought a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 which is running MIUI 77.0.11.0

You should be aware that you likely have a reseller version of MIUI 7.0.1, which can be the source of many issues. If you can unlock the bootloader, I'd suggest using the EU ROM first - you'll have a much better experience in the long-term.

Sent from my Redmi Note 2 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Littlelegs
M8 I had the same problem. You cant send messages right?
Just switch sim card from slot 2 to slot 1. (;

Enviado de meu Redmi Note 3 usando Tapatalk

M8 I had the same problem. You cant send messages right?
Just switch sim card from slot 2 to slot 1. (;

Enviado de meu Redmi Note 3 usando Tapatalk

You should be aware that you likely have a reseller version of MIUI 7.0.1, which can be the source of many issues. - you'll have a much better experience in the long-term.

Hi, that might make sense about the reseller version as I bought it from an Ebay shop that I guess must distribute them here in the UK (and possibly put different version of MIUI on there?) . I am afraid what you say doesn't make any sense to me (I am not very technical)... are you able to talk me through your comments "If you can unlock the bootloader, I'd suggest using the EU ROM first" ... . are you able to explain in laymans what I would need to do please. Any help is appreciated. Thanks :)

I am afraid what you say doesn't make any sense to me (I am not very technical)... are you able to talk me through your comments "If you can unlock the bootloader, I'd suggest using the EU ROM first" ... . are you able to explain in laymans what I would need to do please.

In layman's terms (I hope I get it right) - when Android can boot into one of three modes: normal, recovery, fastboot. Recovery/fastboot mode via power and volume key combination (check the forums). You can normally update the operation system (which everyone calls it ROM) either from within the OS itself (ota - on the air), but only if your system already knows where to look. An alternative (on MIUI) is to update via the recovery (update.zip). This will won't help you much, since the mi recovery checks the key signing on the ROM and only the original xiaomi roms are signed. To install the EU ROM, you first need to replace the mi recovery with an alternative like twrp. However, to do this you need to install it from pc onto your phone in fastboot mode (called "flashing" even although you are not really flashing and hardware per se). If your phone bootloader is locked, you won't be able to do this step. Check the forum for the red note 3 bootloader - there is lots to find!
You may still need to struggle with terminology a bit, but it will become clearer the more you read.

Reactions: Adeolu