How to turn off MIUI 11 'Turn off MIUI optimization" on Developer Settings? :)

Hacker432

Members
Nov 21, 2019
I'm also trying to disable it once and for all, and the reason is really simple.

MIUI optimization is bullshit, it's a matter of fact. Stop being fanboys.

Igor Eisberg

Developer
Staff member
Oct 6, 2016
I'm also trying to disable it once and for all, and the reason is really simple.

MIUI optimization is bullshit, it's a matter of fact. Stop being fanboys.
If you don't know the internals of MIUI and what "MIUI optimization" affects, then keep it zipped.
I will not tolerate trolling and the spreading of misinformation.

Reactions: LOLO9393

shadowz1337

Members
Jan 30, 2014
I'm the opposite, I want to turn it ON. I'm using miui.eu 11.0.5 stable on my Redmi K20 Pro Premium Edition and I believe that MIUI optimization is turned OFF. The reason I think it's off is because the battery drain on MIUI.eu seems to be higher than the stock MIUI China and MIUI India roms. Both have decent battery life in comparison to MIUI.eu. Both have the option to toggle on/off MIUI optimization, whereas in MIUI.eu, this option is missing under Developer Settings.

Another reason why I believe MIUI optimization is OFF on MIUI.eu is due to how the apps are managed in the background. I've purposely set a few apps to not run in background, and yet they still run in background. I've set the battery restriction for the app to be restricted, as well as setting the MIUI App Battery Saver for the app to "Restrict background activity". Despite this, the apps still run in background and I still get notifications from them. This was never a problem in the stock MIUI roms. I'm using the same apps, nothing is changed. I believe when you turn off MIUI optimization, this changes the behavior of how the apps are managed in the background.

In the MIUI 11 Stable changelog made by xiaomi.eu, it says this "Optimized RAM consumption" and I'm not sure if that is related to the MIUI optimization changes.

I've also tried running adb shell and using "getprop persist.sys.miui_optimization" to query whether this setting has been toggled or not, but this doesn't return anything. If miui.eu is based on the China rom, then MIUI optimization SHOULD be under Developer Settings, but it's not. Where has it gone?

Igor Eisberg

Developer
Staff member
Oct 6, 2016
I'm the opposite, I want to turn it ON. I'm using miui.eu 11.0.5 stable on my Redmi K20 Pro Premium Edition and I believe that MIUI optimization is turned OFF. The reason I think it's off is because the battery drain on MIUI.eu seems to be higher than the stock MIUI China and MIUI India roms. Both have decent battery life in comparison to MIUI.eu. Both have the option to toggle on/off MIUI optimization, whereas in MIUI.eu, this option is missing under Developer Settings.

Another reason why I believe MIUI optimization is OFF on MIUI.eu is due to how the apps are managed in the background. I've purposely set a few apps to not run in background, and yet they still run in background. I've set the battery restriction for the app to be restricted, as well as setting the MIUI App Battery Saver for the app to "Restrict background activity". Despite this, the apps still run in background and I still get notifications from them. This was never a problem in the stock MIUI roms. I'm using the same apps, nothing is changed. I believe when you turn off MIUI optimization, this changes the behavior of how the apps are managed in the background.

In the MIUI 11 Stable changelog made by xiaomi.eu, it says this "Optimized RAM consumption" and I'm not sure if that is related to the MIUI optimization changes.

I've also tried running adb shell and using "getprop persist.sys.miui_optimization" to query whether this setting has been toggled or not, but this doesn't return anything. If miui.eu is based on the China rom, then MIUI optimization SHOULD be under Developer Settings, but it's not. Where has it gone?
What you "believe" makes no difference. If you don't see a "MIUI optimization" toggle in Developer options, it means that it's enabled (and hidden so that it won't be touched by users who have no clue what they are doing).

shadowz1337

Members
Jan 30, 2014
Hi Igor,

Thanks for your reply. OK, good to know MIUI optimization is enabled, as I have no intention of turning it off. But regarding my issue, do you have any idea what could be causing it? None of the apps should be running in background, but they are. They are set to restricted in the MIUI app battery saver setting. I never have this issue on the official MIUI China or MIUI India roms. Even when I force stop the app, they run in background automatically. They are not set to autostart either.

Also, in official MIUI, there are some apps that can only run in the foreground and not in the background. But in MIUI.eu, they run in background just fine. For example, there's a game I play called Tales of Wind and normally I have to keep it in focus (i.e in foreground) so that it can play properly. If I switch to a different app and let the game run in background, it will just freeze in the game and won't run, until I switch back to the game. In MIUI.eu, this isn't a problem (which is great), but this tells me that the way MIUI.eu handles the app in background is different to how the official MIUI handles it. I want to manually control which apps can run in background and which ones shouldn't.

Now, a bunch of apps are running in background and sending me useless notifications. All my apps and settings are the same across both official ROMs and custom ROMs.