[HowTo] Install Recovery image

JakSpoon

Members
Sep 8, 2021
If the phone is connected with a USB cable to the PC in :emoji_sweat_smile: TWRP mode, files can be moved
From a practical point of view, it is better to do "Format Data" after installing the ROM.
Because in some cases it happens that after Format Data the storage in TWRP is unavailable.

OK, this was information I didn't know.

So just in case, if it changes absolutely nothing in terms of "clean installation" anyway, I install the ROM first and then do the Format Data.
Thanks again for your patience!

katerpanne

Members
Apr 19, 2014
Perhaps we did not understand each other well:

Then I would do this:
- First, I would boot the new version of "TWRP" for Android 12, via ADB command.
- I would then run the "Install Recovery Ramdisk" command to permanently install this new version
- I would start the "Format data" command to precisely do a clean format of the smartphone, in preparation for installing the stable ROM.

At this point, however, I basically no longer have the operating system installed (goodbye MIUI 12.5)... so I could only transfer the ROM in ZIP format through TWRP... am I wrong? That's why I was asking how I can do that!
yes that is how format data is working…. like you format c:\ in windows

Reactions: gogocar62

JakSpoon

Members
Sep 8, 2021
"Format Data" will not remove the system (that would be bad).
"Format Data" erases all user data and formats the data partition.
Ok now I understand better, that was information I missed!

So unlike Windows where the user data is basically "together" with the operating system, on Android 12, operating system and user data is like they are in two different partitions, am I wrong?

So at this point, the complete formatting of the previous Android OS, is it done when the new rom is flashed?

JakSpoon

Members
Sep 8, 2021
yes that is how format data is working…. like you format c:\ in windows

Actually, if I format the "C:" drive in Windows (when I start the clean install from USB stick), I lose EVERYTHING, i.e., operating system + user data, since they are essentially all together.

Instead, from what I understand, with Android 12, it is essentially as if the OS data and user data are separated into two different hard drives:
with the "format data" command, I delete all user data...
and that was exactly what I was wondering: how do I delete all the OS data, and then install the new one?

From what I understand, this last procedure in theory should be done automatically when installing the new ROM, am I wrong?

katerpanne

Members
Apr 19, 2014
Actually, if I format the "C:" drive in Windows (when I start the clean install from USB stick), I lose EVERYTHING, i.e., operating system + user data, since they are essentially all together.

Instead, from what I understand, with Android 12, it is essentially as if the OS data and user data are separated into two different hard drives:
with the "format data" command, I delete all user data...
and that was exactly what I was wondering: how do I delete all the OS data, and then install the new one?

From what I understand, this last procedure in theory should be done automatically when installing the new ROM, am I wrong?
so much input.. with format data you will lose all your data. why will you do that? sorry i dont understand your question.,,

JakSpoon

Members
Sep 8, 2021
so much input.. with format data you will lose all your data. why will you do that? sorry i dont understand your question.,,

So I didn't understand:

According to you, there is no point in doing the "format data"?
Isn't it better to do a clean installation to avoid compatibility issues with a new major version?

gogocar62

Members
Apr 22, 2021
Don't turn it into cosmic science. ;)
It is simple:
clean install = Format Data
dirty install (update) = no "Format Data"

At xiaomi.eu, it is not necessary to "Format Data" when switching (updating) to a newer Android or MIUI. This is only useful if there are any problems after the update
The difference from official updates is that xiaomi.eu installs the complete ROM during the update, not just certain parts as is the case with the official OTA update.

Last edited: