Importing Chinese Mi Mix 3

Morphos

Members
Oct 31, 2018
Hi

I'm about to import a Chinese version of the Mi Mix 3.
I'm living in Europe. I never had a Xiaomi before and I never flashed a rom.

I've read some topics on this website, and i suspect i won't have any issues flashing to the EU rom?
Is it 'better' to wait for the global version? Can i still put the global version on the Mix 3 after it comes out (even on the chinese phone? )

Correct me if i'm wrong :)

I am too, but probably not until the 5G European version is released in Q1.

If you are not in a hurry for some reason, you could wait at least until a functioning TWRP has appeared, and other folks have found any hidden traps.

Xiaomi has not been transparent about how they have implemented ARB, and they have tried to block some Chinese devices from being flashed with Global roms.

But, if a great deal appears somewhere, I might take a chance on a Chinese version.

I'm also thinking of getting one of the Palace versions, as an "investment".
At least, that is the story I will tell my wife.

Reactions: wasteyard
I am too, but probably not until the 5G European version is released in Q1.

If you are not in a hurry for some reason, you could wait at least until a functioning TWRP has appeared, and other folks have found any hidden traps.

Xiaomi has not been transparent about how they have implemented ARB, and they have tried to block some Chinese devices from being flashed with Global roms.

But, if a great deal appears somewhere, I might take a chance on a Chinese version.

I'm also thinking of getting one of the Palace versions, as an "investment".
At least, that is the story I will tell my wife.

Hi

Thanks for your answer :)
The girlfriend of a colleague of mine is Chinese and she could bring the phone for me next month. I'm without smartphone since i bricked my Xperia Z5 end of June.
Waiting for Q1 2019 could be the end of february... That's too long for me. I don't care about the 5G, since it isn't used anywhere atm.

It will be either Mix 3 or mi 8 pro.
Do i understand correctly if there is no 'good' way to flash xiaomi.eu rom on the chinese rom for now?

Hi

Thanks for your answer :)
The girlfriend of a colleague of mine is Chinese and she could bring the phone for me next month. I'm without smartphone since i bricked my Xperia Z5 end of June.
Waiting for Q1 2019 could be the end of february... That's too long for me. I don't care about the 5G, since it isn't used anywhere atm.

It will be either Mix 3 or mi 8 pro.
Do i understand correctly if there is no 'good' way to flash xiaomi.eu rom on the chinese rom for now?

As far as I know, you have to have TWRP to flash an EU ROM.
No TWRP, no EU.

I have no idea how fast someone can produce a TWRP, but so far there is no activity at all on XDA.

Xiaomi.eu does not do TWRP, in case you missed that point.

As far as I know, you have to have TWRP to flash an EU ROM.
No TWRP, no EU.

I have no idea how fast someone can produce a TWRP, but so far there is no activity at all on XDA.

Xiaomi.eu does not do TWRP, in case you missed that point.

I've read about flashing roms and i came across TWRP. Any idea how long it mostly takes to have TWRP for a new model?
After knowing this, maybe best to just wait some longer...

I've read about flashing roms and i came across TWRP. Any idea how long it mostly takes to have TWRP for a new model?
After knowing this, maybe best to just wait some longer...

No idea, but it can vary greatly - TWRP is open source, so depends on free labor.
But Mix3 should be popular, so relatively quickly I would think.
I would guess - a month or two, not more.

But:
Mix1 has never gotten an official TWRP that works, but has an unofficial one that is ok.
Mi Note 3 did not even get forums on XDA after a year or so, was not popular.
Mi Note 2 got a really good official TWRP first last spring, after 2 years?

Empty, so far:
https://forum.xda-developers.com/mi-mix-3/development

Last edited:
There is now a official China developer rom (no stable) available to download:

perseus_images_8.10.25_20181025.0000.00_9.0_cn_949bc78b5e.tgz

I don't know what a TWRP developer needs to start work, but this is certainly part at least.

I'll download it and see if I can find anything interesting in it, like ARB level.

The information shows that the China version of Mix 3 is bundled with the Google Framework. The Play Store can be installed by the apk.
The 8+256GB and 10+256GB are all-bands-enabled models.

Yes, the 256GB versions should work fine in Europe at least.

Question if interband CA (Carrier Aggregation) will work outside of China on the Chinese devices, but that is not so important for ordinary users.

I just bought a mi 8 Lite. I will use that one for a few months. Been without a smartphone for the past 6 months now, couldn't wait anymore :)
I'll maybe buy a Mix 3 when global launches.

Reactions: cobben
I just bought a mi 8 Lite. I will use that one for a few months. Been without a smartphone for the past 6 months now, couldn't wait anymore :)
I'll maybe buy a Mix 3 when global launches.
You'd be better to get a Mix 2S, cheaper and nicer. The Slider is a gimmick :)

You'd be better to get a Mix 2S, cheaper and nicer. The Slider is a gimmick :)

Mix 2S is nice, but the screen is too small, and it is boring - no hype left!

Mix 3 has amoled, which I am not so fond of, but the size is better, and lots of fresh fun hype!

The slider is a cute gimmick, if it is as well made as they claim it will be ok.

Maybe I should opt for another Mix1 while they are still available?

Mix 2S is nice, but the screen is too small, and it is boring - no hype left!

Mix 3 has amoled, which I am not so fond of, but the size is better, and lots of fresh fun hype!

The slider is a cute gimmick, if it is as well made as they claim it will be ok.

Maybe I should opt for another Mix1 while they are still available?
Why Mix 1? when it breaks and you can't get replacement parts you will regret it.

Mix 2 and Mix 3 screen size is not much different. Given the specs of the Mix 3, the price is too high for what you actually get. Mix 2S is far more fairly priced for the spec. Mix 2S will be my last Xiaomi product / device.

Why Mix 1? when it breaks and you can't get replacement parts you will regret it.

Mix 2 and Mix 3 screen size is not much different. Given the specs of the Mix 3, the price is too high for what you actually get. Mix 2S is far more fairly priced for the spec. Mix 2S will be my last Xiaomi product / device.

Last? Never say never . . .

I'll probably get a Mix3 in about 6 months, but only "at the right price" . . .

Maybe someone missed that the mix 3 is selling with the super high Res front cam and good quality rear cam. It's not a perfect phone but if you want such spec there are actually no many choices.

Maybe someone missed that the mix 3 is selling with the super high Res front cam and good quality rear cam. It's not a perfect phone but if you want such spec there are actually no many choices.
It's still over priced. Front camera is for self loving, selfie squad anyway... so who cares for high res self-gratifying photos? :)

Rear camera is not any better than Mi 8 or Mix 2S. Honestly its overpriced for what its got.

No, really its my "last" device by this company :)

Well, the Mix1 is still my favorite, all categories.

"There can be only one!"

Possible exception - the old Nokia Communicator
Maybe it will be my last "smartphone", and I'll go back to a feature phone - tablet combination?

Reactions: Zouiguipopo
It's still over priced. Front camera is for self loving, selfie squad anyway... so who cares for high res self-gratifying photos? :)

Rear camera is not any better than Mi 8 or Mix 2S. Honestly its overpriced for what its got.

If you don't need the good front cam , mix 2s is a great choice.
Mix 3 also contains the dual band gps and wireless charging.
That means it contains all the stuffs in other Xiaomi phones.
And you know new phone costs more, not in proportion.

If you don't need the good front cam , mix 2s is a great choice.
Mix 3 also contains the dual band gps and wireless charging.
That means it contains all the stuffs in other Xiaomi phones.
And you know new phone costs more, not in proportion.

They are claiming much better 4G signal reception and faster download speeds than iPhone XS Max, after having reduced the physical area used by the antennas by 70% because of the full screen and slider.

Remains to be tested outside of China, China Unicom.

Last edited:
They are claiming much better 4G signal reception and faster download speeds than iPhone XS Max, after having reduced the physical area used by the antennas by 70% because of the full screen and slider.

Remains to be tested outside of China, China Unicom.

if you truly believe that they have brainwashed you well.