Is Anti-rollback protection on xiaomi.eu?

ktechmidas

Members
Sep 18, 2017
I'm planning to get a Mix 3 when it comes out and plan to unlock and get Xiaomi.eu on it ASAP, will ARP still trigger with xiaomi.eu? For example if the latest is buggy and I want to go back to previous week?

Mix3 is not released yet

which is kind of an unsatisfactory answer. Many people would like to know what the stance of xiaomi.eu is with regard to ARP. Will it be part of eu ROMs, too, or will the eu team make efforts to save us from this plague. While I understand (but still not like) the rationale behind ARP for stable ROMs, it is an absolute no-go for betas. Who will be willing to test betas (which, by their nature, are expected to have bugs, and sometimes even really bad ones) if there is no way to re-install an earlier version?

if device is not released, nobody knows anything..

which is kind of an unsatisfactory answer. Many people would like to know what the stance of xiaomi.eu is with regard to ARP. Will it be part of eu ROMs, too, or will the eu team make efforts to save us from this plague. While I understand (but still not like) the rationale behind ARP for stable ROMs, it is an absolute no-go for betas. Who will be willing to test betas (which, by their nature, are expected to have bugs, and sometimes even really bad ones) if there is no way to re-install an earlier version?

I have posted questions on the English MIUI forum for MI Mix1, Mi Note 2, and Mi Max1asking about Xiaomis intentions as to ARB.

I got no official or even semi-official responses at all.

So you are flying blind, and should make your plans thereafter.

Perhaps I should have posted on the Chinese MIUI forum, but my Mandarin is not so up-to-date these days.

As Xiaomi has forged ahead with their version of ARB to new devices with no open discussion or even information, you should assume they are happy with how it works and will continue in the same style.

Corporate hubris? You tell me.

Last edited:
if device is not released, nobody knows anything..

It would be good to get, for a start, a definitive answer for Xiaomi.eu ROMs in general, for the devices that ARE released. Will the eu ROMs support this crap, or will your developers do their best to protect us from this evil?

It would be good to get, for a start, a definitive answer for Xiaomi.eu ROMs in general, for the devices that ARE released. Will the eu ROMs support this crap, or will your developers do their best to protect us from this evil?
It's not Xiaomi to blame but Google to my understanding. It's for security reasons. However it's possible to bypass this ARB protection. I wouldn't be surprised if Xiaomi decide to block bootloader forever and sell two versions of same phone. Chinese and international.

It's not Xiaomi to blame but Google to my understanding. It's for security reasons. However it's possible to bypass this ARB protection. I wouldn't be surprised if Xiaomi decide to block bootloader forever and sell two versions of same phone. Chinese and international.

Google lets you disable ARB on phones with unlocked bootloader, as I understand it.

Xiaomi has chosen to brick your phone instead if you try to downgrade.

If Xiaomi wanted to do a Huawei and stop allowing the unlocking if bootloaders entirely, that I could understand, from a corporate profit perspective that is.

The method Xiaomi has chosen just does not make any sense to me from any perspective that I can think of.

Also noone seems to really know how they have implemented ARB.
If they blow qfuses in the soc, there is no way back from that.

It's not Xiaomi to blame but Google to my understanding. It's for security reasons.

I know very well that this is an idea of Google - and a lousy one indeed. What I don't know - but would love to know - is, whether xiaomi.eu ROMs will have this or not. I do not care for this stupid "security reason" excuse. If Google had interest in "security", they would uncouple security updates from ROM updates, then there would be no "need" to block users from ROM rollbacks in the first place.