Is the Mi9 really that bad?

Bantay

Members
Jan 13, 2020
Hello everyone,,

I've been eyeing the Mi 9 for about 4 months and it's finally available where I live. When I first did a research on the phone, every review seemed hyping it as a affordable flagship phone etc. Now I started to doublecheck and pretty much noticed that noone is actually recommending Xiaomi these days?

Everyone seems to be saying that MIUI is so bad - is it really?
Is the camera software really so bad it doesn't even make good photos?
showbox.bio/ tutuapp.uno/ https://vidmate.vet/
Everyone seems to be suggesting Samsung S9, OP7 over Mi9 - why?

As I have never rooted or debloated a phone and I am not an active phone user (I use about 1-2h screen time daily) - is Mi9 going to be usable as it comes? I would be too afraid to start unlocking, rooting the phone or installing some other OS or software to it, because I've also read that you can mess things up and brick the phone completely.

Are Xiaomi devices only meant for people who.. know how to do all that?^ :(

Last edited:
If you are not going to unlock and flash a custom rom I'm afraid you are on the wrong forum...

Poslano z mojega MI 9 z uporabo Tapatalk

Creio que você está equivocado, o MI 9 é um excelente smartphone, superior ao Samsung s9 e eu o considero superior ao op7 também, quanto a câmera é só usar a *no-support-for-this-app-on-this-forum* e pronto problema resolvido! Pode comprar sem medo!

Everyone seems to be saying that MIUI is so bad - is it really?
It's called preference. No matter how many people say it's bad, look at how big the community that actually uses it daily.
Is the camera software really so bad it doesn't even make good photos?
Yes and no. It does struggle in bad lighting conditions, but doesn't mean it can't make good photos. In fact, most of the time it captures beautiful photos night and day. It even has advantages of versatility that G***le camera can't touch (due to Google, if they want it would be very easy to implement). Its video stabilization is slider smooth (albeit only at 30fps, but that's not a showstopper for me), its 960fps slowmo has 1080p option.

From these two photos, can you tell which one is taken with MIUI and which one is with G***le camera?
IMG_20191224_221614.jpg IMG_20200106_031041.jpg

Everyone seems to be suggesting Samsung S9, OP7 over Mi9 - why?
Your "everyone" is too narrow then. People are recommending whatever they use. Mi 9 sales might not be as great as the other two, as the other two are available in more areas. If Mi 9 is so bad, why would people from areas where Mi 9 is not sold officially takes the risk of importing it?
As I have never rooted or debloated a phone and I am not an active phone user (I use about 1-2h screen time daily) - is Mi9 going to be usable as it comes? I would be too afraid to start unlocking, rooting the phone or installing some other OS or software to it, because I've also read that you can mess things up and brick the phone completely.
I, and most people coming to MIUI EU, just don't like the global MIUI as shipped originally, but we do like MIUI alone, hence this ROM. The global isn't that bad per se, but the popping ads (though you can turn all of them off) is kinda annoying and may miss features available in China ROM (that this ROM is based on). It's useable, just the experience is a little ruined.
Are Xiaomi devices only meant for people who.. know how to do all that?^ :(
Nope, it was never designed so. Xiaomi just lets those who want to change and modify the ROM as they wish, this community included. You don't have to, but almost every discussion will refer to this modified ROM, not the official one.