Is Updating Of The Weekly Rom Supported At All By The Updater App?

nlacsoft

Members
Jul 25, 2016
Hello,
i'm really wondering if the updating of the weekly ROM (from a previous version of the weekly ROM) supported by the Updater app ("Choose update package" way) at all, because it doesn't work: after i do it, the ROM remains on the previous version. The only effect of the process is, the downloaded recovery ZIP is deleted from the file system. I tested it on several versions time to time.

I just don't get how people here update their phones week by week.. noone noticed it? Everyone else just do it via TWRP, making a clean install every time, loosing their apps, configs etc (like i have to do)? I'm really wondering that i'm the only one who complains about it.

I just don't get how people here update their phones week by week.. noone noticed it? Everyone else just do it via TWRP, making a clean install every time, loosing their apps, configs etc (like i have to do)? I'm really wondering that i'm the only one who complains about it.
Some of us chose to do it week by week via TWRP & it only takes 5 minutes, it only updates the System files & does not delete any Personal data, App data or Configs.
If you are losing your data & or settings you must be doing it wrong.
The other reason I personally use TWRP is I can take a full system backup every week which makes me feel good.

Reactions: iamme729
i agree. twrp is straight forward. you just have to remember to only wipe cache/davlik and you won't loose data or settings.
another benefit is that you can install supersu in the same process without need to boot into recovery again for rooting.

Reactions: nlacsoft
Download the weekly ROM for your device from the ROM download page...open the Updater App...Choose update package... Select the ROM you downloaded...click OK.....DONE !

P.S......I am assuming you have TWRP installed....

I have twrp installed and the process you wrote doesn't work (as i wrote above).

i agree. twrp is straight forward. you just have to remember to only wipe cache/davlik and you won't loose data or settings.
another benefit is that you can install supersu in the same process without need to boot into recovery again for rooting.

Thanks, so wiping only cache is a proper way to make an upgrade. I wasn't sure.

Some of us chose to do it week by week via TWRP & it only takes 5 minutes, it only updates the System files & does not delete any Personal data, App data or Configs.
If you are losing your data & or settings you must be doing it wrong.
The other reason I personally use TWRP is I can take a full system backup every week which makes me feel good.

I understand and i guess i also have to follow that way too but my question in the title of this thread is still valid.
Is that a bug or that is something what never worked and never meant to be working on Redmi 3?

Thanks, so wiping only cache is a proper way to make an upgrade. I wasn't sure.
So the upgrade procedure is;
1)Boot into TWRP (volume + power)
2)Take a backup.
3)Install updated Xiaomi.eu.zip file.
4)Wipe Cache & Dalvik
5)Exit to System

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

2)Take a backup.
4)Wipe Cache & Dalvik
5)Exit to System

Thanks, i'll follow that way. Until now, i wiped everything before each TWRP upgrade just to make sure.

Download the weekly ROM for your device from the ROM download page...open the Updater App...Choose update package... Select the ROM you downloaded...click OK.....DONE !

P.S......I am assuming you have TWRP installed....

Could i ask on what model did you successfully do that process?

2)Take a backup.
4)Wipe Cache & Dalvik
5)Exit to System

its also possible to boot into recovery from updater app by pressing on the three dots in the upright corner and select reboot into recovery (so you dont have to shut down manually and reboot holding buttons)
in fact thats the only thing i use the updater app for since i installed my first eu-rom.

its also possible to boot into recovery from updater app by pressing on the three dots in the upright corner and select reboot into recovery (so you dont have to shut down manually and reboot holding buttons)
in fact thats the only thing i use the updater app for since i installed my first eu-rom.
Reboot to recovery and updating from Updater app has not worked for long time on my devices, maybe those require root?

I use both methods...Updater App, choose update package and boot to recovery...also TWRP Manager... also booting directly into TWRP power+volume buttons...they all work on both my Mi4c's......

Ok, now we know that the Updater app (using local update package) works on Mi4c. But it doesn't work on Redmi 3 ("IDO" ROM).

Anyone who could get it work on Redmi 3?

i can try it tomorrow evening on my redmi 3pro to see if root makes a difference.
today i have no possibility to safe a backup in case it goes to hell.

but i wouldn't use the app as standard anyways. it was designed to deliver OTA updates for xiaomis own roms and not to install .eu roms. therefore we got custom recoverys like TWRP.

my recommendation is to use the app to boot into twrp as i wrote above (don't load the rompackage in the updater app its just used as the only shortcut to boot into TWRP from the running system i know) and install the rom from there.

Actually the "Reboot into recovery" menu item in the Updater doesn't bring to the proper state in case of Redmi 3: it reboots to a black screen showing a schematic phone image and an USB cable and nothing happens, without any interaction possible.

i can try it tomorrow evening on my redmi 3pro to see if root makes a difference.
today i have no possibility to safe a backup in case it goes to hell.

but i wouldn't use the app as standard anyways. it was designed to deliver OTA updates for xiaomis own roms and not to install .eu roms. therefore we got custom recoverys like TWRP.

my recommendation is to use the app to boot into twrp as i wrote above (don't load the rompackage in the updater app its just used as the only shortcut to boot into TWRP from the running system i know) and install the rom from there.

Thanks, i'd be very curious for the result!

Thanks, i'd be very curious for the result!
i just tried it. heres what happened
1) start installation from updater app
2) phone rebooted automatically into twrp and started installation
3) installation didn't finish and i got asked if twrp should set system partition read or write (like on first install if i remember correctly
4) i manually chose reboot in twrp
5) twrp asked me if i want to install supersu and i clicked yes
5) root was installed correctly
6) phone rebooted into system without clearing cache/davlik

so it didn't work for me as well. i still suggest you install new weeklys via twrp and dirty flash.