is xiaomi.eu officially associated with xiaomi?

RedmiUser

Members
Jul 30, 2020
the URL of this forum seems official (xiaomi.eu) but discussions here sound like this is a community forum (well, it sais "community"... surprise xD). The "About us" is rather short.

What is the relationship between this site and Xiaomi, is it owned by Xiaomi? Are community members making contributions to the stock ROMs of xiaomi devices? Are stock ROMs open source? Is xiaomi supporting this site or community?

but the readme says:

> Xiaomi Europe was founded [...] to provide [...] an exlcusive community for English MIUI Android and Xiaomi products. Since 2010 our web site has officially worked with Xiaomi on a variety of projects for APP translations and bug fixing and is a major part of today's Xiaomi Global ROM experience thanks to the great team at xiaomi.eu and its community.

does this mean Xiaomi Global stock ROM experience?

From my understanding the xiaomi.eu community is basically providing custom roms based on the official stable and weekly builds provided by Xiaomi itself. They contain tweaks and fixes to optimize them for use in Europe (listed in the "what's not in Global" section of every rom release) and to sometimes fix bugs that users here have reported before Xiaomi themselves have released a ROM with those fixes.

For example I have noticed that the NFC payment app my bank provides shows up as non-compatible on any of the official Xiaomi roms (global, EEA, China). But this app will work perfectly on the Xiaomi.eu roms.

Reactions: RedmiUser
can we expand a little on "major part of today's Xiaomi Global ROM experience"?
As far as I know: When they started with these ROMs there were only Chinese/English translations, no other languages. Xiaomi.eu began to add other translations with the help of the community here, all made by translators in their free time, e. g. German translation. Later on official Xiaomi started the official Global ROM channel, but Xiaomi.eu continued their own way of ROM building. That's where we are now.