Keyboard Annoyances Everywhere?

MiKhan

Members
Sep 21, 2013
Hey guys,

which gesture keyboard do you prefer the most? Are you aware of any, which would not suffer the annoyances listed below?

Google / AOSP keyboard:
Pretty good, although
  • The user has to maintain his personal directory for some not so common languages - so it takes month of typing to "teach" it.
  • One great show-stopper is its "feature" (yes, they call it a feature), that the suggestion bar is not displayed for certain text fields. Namely, this impacts typing in browser's search bar (Firefox and others) and a few other forms. The result is that gestures behave like shooting into the darkness - no way to choose other words, the user has to delete it and type manually. Non-functional behaviour, not a feature.

Swiftkey:
Pretty good, but
  • Requires too many permissions, especially the network access - who would allow its keyboard to "call home"? This is solvable with a firewall, but ...
  • Mixes languages together - I use three langs and as a result, the suggestions become often useless.
  • Automatic space is added after words (in gesture mode). It does delete the space in many situations (like when the next character is a full stop (.), etc.) but not in quite a few others. AOSP keyword behaves better: it adds the space only once the user starts with a new gesture.
  • The dictionary for some languages mixes both accented (correct) and stripped-accents (wrong, from old Nokia days) words.
All in all, AOSP keyboard would be the winner for me, but the hidden suggestions make me crazy so I set off for yet another search for a better one. The internet reviews are pretty much useless, they all say what the apps can do, but do not mention the bad things, which you start to hate after a few months...

Swipe is still the best for me. Especially with its copy and paste features.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Using Swype for a few days and its behaviour seems less annoying. A bit pitty that it does not have cursor keys, that it offers all accented chars instead of a reasonable selection only, but in general it seems like a keyboard I could live with.

Using Swype for a few days and its behaviour seems less annoying. A bit pitty that it does not have cursor keys, that it offers all accented chars instead of a reasonable selection only, but in general it seems like a keyboard I could live with.
You can access the cursor keys by swiping from the "swipe" button to the "number" button.

Sent from my MI 4W using Tapatalk

Reactions: teo8028 and MiKhan
I ended up with Multing O Keyboard. It looks a bit weird, but after a few moments, it does pretty much what I want.

It allows for own definition of keyboard layout, does not have any unnecessary permissions (no internet), uses Android built in personal dictionary.