Kodi issue for Dolby and DTS compatible receivers [Solution]

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
Please follow the screenshots below to correct the following DTS compatible issues; This error was taken from the master bug list here: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/mi-box-3-master-bug-list.44784/

• Kodi issue for Dolby and DTS compatible receivers disappeared now only option is Number of Speakers and Passthrough (used to show: Dolby Digital (AC3) capable receiver; Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3) capable receiver; DTS capable receiver; TrueHD capable receiver;DTS-HD capable receiver on MM).
Please see pics below, post results and feedback related ONLY to this issue in this thread. Other replies will be deleted.

Mi Box Settings :::
WechatIMG343.png

Kodi Audio Settings :::
WechatIMG339.png

Thanks,

Mark

Nov 21, 2010
I dont know what is the bug, but everything is checked on pass-through for me, and DTS is well played by my AV receiver

Envoyé de mon Redmi 4X en utilisant Tapatalk

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
I dont know what is the bug, but everything is checked on pass-through for me, and DTS is well played by my AV receiver

Envoyé de mon Redmi 4X en utilisant Tapatalk
Did the steps in the post help or not? You didnt leave any feeback.

Dec 13, 2017
As I have always said there is NO issue with getting actual DD, DTS TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio passthrough with Kodi and the Oreo - Mi Box.

It's a user configuration issue or users are not powering on their AVR's / Soundbars before starting Kodi.
Such issues should not be labelled as a Firmware Bug.

If users want TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio passthrough as well you have to Toggle the "Expert" settings in the botom left of the Kodi audio settings screen.

The issue that still remains is audio passthrough Dropouts when using passthrough in Apps like Netflix and Kodi. Those audio dropouts were not present in Marshmallow Firmware.

MarkHUK

Founder of Xiaomi.eu
Staff member
Nov 6, 2010
As I have always said there is NO issue with getting actual DD, DTS TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio passthrough with Kodi and the Oreo - Mi Box.

It's a user configuration issue or users are not powering on their AVR's / Soundbars before starting Kodi.

If users want TrueHD and DTS-HD MA audio passthrough as well you have to Toggle the "Expert" settings in the botom left of the Kodi audio settings screen.

The issue that still remains is audio passthrough Dropouts when using passthrough in Apps like Netflix and Kodi. Those audio dropouts were not present in Marshmallow Firmware.
Noted!

It's on the bug list, there is no specific "is firmware" bug list, we just listed every user provided issue when it was posted. So, for the actual synopsis of the issue i've asked the team to review your feedback on this issue. We didnt label it a Firmware bug :)

Jul 7, 2018
Same here. No problem with Kodi passthrough available options, but a lot of dropouts using passthrough with DD+

Jul 4, 2018
Hi,

After update today, I have now DTS and other formats available and working.

As to this:

If this is something we have to do now and didn't before, it is a firmware issue. Never had this problem on Marshmallow and after update I did.

Always was in "Expert" mode from the start, maybe some setups are different we should not presume we are the example for all installations.

As to:
Continues to happen to me after update.

This continues to happen too:
Sound decoding for any sound format just shows as PCM on the Receiver (used to show Dolby, Dolby +, ProLogic II, DTS Sound, ATMOS on MM)
Thank You!

Jul 9, 2018
It doesn't work. My mibox is connected to my LG honecinema (5.1). With your settings I managed to pass through 5.1 dts for the first video I opened. When I stopped it and selected another I had no sound and my home cinema started to constantly displaying pcm2.0.0 and dts.3.2.1. Same thing when I opened the first video that was playing properly. The only way to get sound is by switching all surround and Dolby off and have stereo sound.

Everything was working perfectly on MM and I had dts pass trough in kodi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jul 4, 2018
It doesn't work. My mibox is connected to my LG honecinema (5.1). With your settings I managed to pass through 5.1 dts for the first video I opened. When I stopped it and selected another I had no sound and my home cinema started to constantly displaying pcm2.0.0 and dts.3.2.1. Same thing when I opened the first video that was playing properly. The only way to get sound is by switching all surround and Dolby off and have stereo sound.

Everything was working perfectly on MM and I had dts pass trough in kodi

On the Android TV sound settings "Dolby Sounds" is the setting "Line" or "RF"? It should be "Line".

After I get out of Kody, I have no sound on navigation through menus. When I get to Netflix the first content I play does give me an error ... After that error if I stop the content and try again it does work ... Strange behaviour.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2018
On the Android TV sound settings "Dolby Sounds" is the setting "Line" or "RF"? It should be "Line".

After I get out of Kody, I have no sound on navigation through menus. When I get to Netflix the first content I play does give me an error ... After that error if I stop the content and try again it does work ... Strange behaviour.
If I have Dolby sounds to line I do not get sound only static noise. When I put it off I managed to get dts only for the first video I played on kodi. I didn't watch all the video so I am not sure if the sound will be OK until the end. I tried rf in the past but had same static noise issue and no sound ☹️

Jul 4, 2018
If I have Dolby sounds to line I do not get sound only static noise. When I put it off I managed to get dts only for the first video I played on kodi. I didn't watch all the video so I am not sure if the sound will be OK until the end. I tried rf in the past but had same static noise issue and no sound ☹️
Connecting with HDMI or TOSLink (Fiber)? Static on digital ... Glitchy, yes I've heard ... Static nope. Do you know the model of your homecinema kit?

Dec 13, 2017

Turn it all OFF, eg.....

Android Settings > Sounds > Dolby Sounds > OFF

Android Settings > Sounds > DTS Sounds > 0

Those Dolby settings do not work properly.
RF I believe is meant to boost center channel dialogue and also quieten Loud Sounds for night time viewing.
The Mi Box really has messed up Dolby Audio support tho, that is why it should all be switched OFF.

Xiaomi please rename Dolby - RF and Line to something normal English Users can understand.

These "Geek Speak" Dolby - RF / Line settings do nothing to help end users and only lead to mass confusion.

There is a detailed discussion about Dolby - RF & Line modes over in the following post:
https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php?threads/what-is-rf-mode-versus-line-mode.57517/

IMPORTANT NOTE: In Kodi Settings > Player > Videos > Sync Playback to Display .....

MUST be disabled to get any sort of Audio passthrough with Kodi (read the notes at the bottom of the screen)

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2018
Turn it all OFF, eg.....

Android Settings > Sounds > Dolby Sounds > OFF

Android Settings > Sounds > DTS Sounds > 0

Those Dolby settings do not work properly.
RF I believe is meant to boost center channel dialogue and also quieten Loud Sounds for night time viewing.
The Mi Box really has messed up Dolby Audio support tho, that is why it should all be switched OFF.

Xiaomi please rename Dolby - RF and Line to something normal English Users can understand.

These "Geek Speak" Dolby - RF / Line settings do nothing to help end users and only lead to mass confusion.

There is a detailed discussion about Dolby - RF & Line modes over in the following post:
https://www.dbstalk.com/community/index.php?threads/what-is-rf-mode-versus-line-mode.57517/

IMPORTANT NOTE: In Kodi Settings > Player > Videos > Sync Playback to Display .....

MUST be disabled to get any sort of Audio passthrough with Kodi (read the notes at the bottom of the screen)
running MiBox straight to Bravia TV and separate HDMI/ARC to a DD/DTS capable soundbar. Al fine under MM and Nougat and 17.6 Kodi. With Oreo and 17.6 I got video problems for (live TV) streams containing AC3. Sound fine, video freezing/stuttering. Now on 18 Nightly and no more problems with those AC3 videos but getting no sound other than "static" noises. I recognise that sound from running Kodi on the Android TV in the Bravia. The answer to that one was to run the "shitty" Kodi version to overcome issues with the Bravia firmware.

All settings on the MiBox as you stated... unfortunately these settings do not help with AC3 live TV streams - they always come through with AC3 regardless of settings. Fingers x-ed on a fix for that from Xiaomi - but close to pulling the trigger on getting another Shield and end the suffering...

thnx

Dec 13, 2017
Ending the suffering is an Apple TV 4K IMHO.
Google's Android TV is simply too unstable and lacks Apps support simply due to it's relatively small market share. That's it in a Nutshell.

Jul 9, 2018
Connecting with HDMI or TOSLink (Fiber)? Static on digital ... Glitchy, yes I've heard ... Static nope. Do you know the model of your homecinema kit?
MIBOX is connected to my lg HX976TZW home cinema via hdmi and home cinema to tv via hdmi. Maybe the term static is not correct. What I meant is that the audio is horrible or not audible/broken.
In android 6.0 same settings/setup work perfectly

Jul 7, 2018
Ending the suffering is an Apple TV 4K IMHO.
Google's Android TV is simply too unstable and lacks Apps support simply due to it's relatively small market share. That's it in a Nutshell.
I know their implementation is proper - but like the Android ecosystem. In short - I prefer open standards and ability to customize, even if I have to sideload, over Apple's "walled Garden" approach. Shield is pretty OK for me - Just need Leia to iron out a few glitches. Still hoping that the MiBox can be the platform for my 1080p TV's. Unfortunately not in the new Beta - so cannot see progress..

thnx

Jul 15, 2018
Doesn't work properly for me after changing to above settings - yes DTS, DD, etc is now working but the audio stutters all the time & as soon as you stop a movie a horrible loud white noise starts & doesn't stop until you play something else. Using HDMI from MiBox into Integra 30.6 receiver.

Also doesn't work at all unless I ensure the receiver is turned on first - which is tricky since they are on the same power board & usually the MiBox loads first so I then have to reboot it.

Everything worked perfectly before the Oreo update.

Jul 9, 2018
I managed to make it work but I am not sure how. The problem is that although it worked fine with passthrough in kodi when I turned off everything and powered on a few hours later I had no sound anywhere. It worked only after reboot. Tricky bug to find and fix ☹️

Again no issues in MM whatsoever

Jul 4, 2018
This last update rendered the box unusable, you have to choose between opening Kodi or YouTube, if you use Kodi you have to reboot to use YouTube again. Sound behaviour is at least erratic ... Sometimes I have Dolby and DTS, other times it doesn't work at all ... No pattern