New [mi 10 ultra] 5g not working

brokenmass

Members
Nov 21, 2020
I recently flashed the latest android 11 weekly rom and noticed that 5g is not working anymore. I only used the original China rom before and with that I had 5g signal with EE in UK so I'm not sure if 5g is working with other xiaomi.eu builds.

I tried to check modem info (signal strength etc) in the debug syste (*#*#6484#*#*) but the system crashed (error message something like "cit application keeps crashing") when I try to access the "modem info" option.

I would like to report same issue with 5G network for MI 10 Ultra on the latest stable build (12.0.15). On the chinese rom, I was able to use 5G network without an issue but it seems like I am never able to get 5G signal after the update.

I have the same problem but was just wondering if you also get the options to set 5G.
I'm on the latest EU Rom stable (V12.0.15.0.QJJCNXM), but in my settings in "Preferred Network type" I only have the option to choose LTE, 3G or 2G only)

I have tried with one SIM only (as it says in many posts that to active 5G you should only have a single sim) and with Dual Sim, and the options do not change.

Do you have the option to choose 5G?

My wife has a Mi10T pro with stock rom and she gets 5G option and we have the same Telco Carrier, so that is not the problem.
Why doesn't my Ultra get it?

Thanks

I have the same problem but was just wondering if you also get the options to set 5G.
I'm on the latest EU Rom stable (V12.0.15.0.QJJCNXM), but in my settings in "Preferred Network type" I only have the option to choose LTE, 3G or 2G only)

View attachment 34020

I have tried with one SIM only (as it says in many posts that to active 5G you should only have a single sim) and with Dual Sim, and the options do not change.

Do you have the option to choose 5G?

My wife has a Mi10T pro with stock rom and she gets 5G option and we have the same Telco Carrier, so that is not the problem.
Why doesn't my Ultra get it?

Thanks
Like you said - Mi 10T Pro on a stock ROM uses the Global modem configuration which supports single-SIM setup only, a second SIM won't even be recognized.
Our ROMs use the stock Chinese modem configuration which allows dual-SIM, but has limited support when it comes to international 5G, VoLTE and VoWiFi.
You can't have both working properly at the same time. Xiaomi's fault. That's how the modem image was built.
This issue should not affect devices like the new Mi 11, which from what I've seen in its modem image, doesn't have separate configurations for China, Global or EEA regions.

Reactions: Alexbo and Poney70
Like you said - Mi 10T Pro on a stock ROM uses the Global modem configuration which supports single-SIM setup only, a second SIM won't even be recognized.
Our ROMs use the stock Chinese modem configuration which allows dual-SIM, but has limited support when it comes to international 5G, VoLTE and VoWiFi.
You can't have both working properly at the same time. Xiaomi's fault. That's how the modem image was built.
This issue should not affect devices like the new Mi 11, which from what I've seen in its modem image, doesn't have separate configurations for China, Global or EEA regions.

While this make sense for the mi10t pro it's not clear to me why it also impact the mi10 ultra given that the stock chinese rom has fully working 5g (or at least it worked for me in uk) but the eu rom does not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Alexbo
Hi Hi @Igor Eisberg, @brokenmass ,

Thanks for the help and advice.
But my concern is more related to the fact that the Weekly EU Rom (according to many users), has functional 5G, even using dual sim in the Mi 10 Ultra.

In my case, I can have only one SIM inserted and I'm only getting the options to select LTE as my preferred connection type.

Could this be an issue with the Stable version only?

In regards to the VoLTE and VoWiFi, I was able to activate these functions using the following codes:
  • VoLTE *#*#86583#*#*
  • VoWIFI *#*#869434#*#*
Could there be a specific code to activate 5G on the phone?
(this would be a perfect solution)

I hope someone can clarify my concern.

Thanks

Attachments

• 1610468447445.png
    1610468447445.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 220
Hi Hi @Igor Eisberg, @brokenmass ,

Thanks for the help and advice.
But my concern is more related to the fact that the Weekly EU Rom (according to many users), has functional 5G, even using dual sim in the Mi 10 Ultra.

In my case, I can have only one SIM inserted and I'm only getting the options to select LTE as my preferred connection type.

Could this be an issue with the Stable version only?

In regards to the VoLTE and VoWiFi, I was able to activate these functions using the following codes:
  • VoLTE *#*#86583#*#*
  • VoWIFI *#*#869434#*#*
Could there be a specific code to activate 5G on the phone?
(this would be a perfect solution)

I hope someone can clarify my concern.

Thanks
As it's a totally different issue to what was being discussed here, can i please ask you to not hijack this thread and start a new one instead ?

As it's a totally different issue to what was being discussed here, can i please ask you to not hijack this thread and start a new one instead ?

Appologies for touching other aspects as well, but Its not a different issue. Igor Eisberg mentioned that VoLTE and VoWiFi are also affected, and he is right. My Mi 10 Ultra with the latest Stable version did not have them active, but I was able to activate those functions with the above codes.

You opened this thread because you were not not having 5G in the Mi 10 Ultra with EU rom, only on China Rom.
This is my case as well and I am using the latest Stable EU Release.

Therefore, perhaps there are some codes like the ones mentioned earlier that could activate the 5G radio, or there might be an issue in this realease as the weekly builds dont seem to have this issue.

Could you confirm if you have the posibitily to choose 5G in the "preferred network settings"? (you did mention you dont get 5G signal). Does this mean you get the possibility to select that option?

Thanks

While this make sense for the mi10t pro it's not clear to me why it also impact the mi10 ultra given that the stock chinese rom has fully working 5g (or at least it worked for me in uk) but the eu rom does not.
Try making a log while entering the Preferred network type selection screen with this command:
Code:
adb logcat -s CallFeaturesSetting,FiveGManager,FiveGUtils,FiveGDataOptimize,FiveGCloudController,SingleFiveGController,PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference,QtiRadioIndication,WifiScoringParams

Appologies for touching other aspects as well, but Its not a different issue. Igor Eisberg mentioned that VoLTE and VoWiFi are also affected, and he is right. My Mi 10 Ultra with the latest Stable version did not have them active, but I was able to activate those functions with the above codes.

You opened this thread because you were not not having 5G in the Mi 10 Ultra with EU rom, only on China Rom.
This is my case as well and I am using the latest Stable EU Release.

Therefore, perhaps there are some codes like the ones mentioned earlier that could activate the 5G radio, or there might be an issue in this realease as the weekly builds dont seem to have this issue.

Could you confirm if you have the posibitily to choose 5G in the "preferred network settings"? (you did mention you dont get 5G signal). Does this mean you get the possibility to select that option?

Thanks

Yes I see all the options

Also I'm able to enable VoLTE and VoWiFi directly from the settings panel without having to use magic codes.

Last edited:
Try making a log while entering the Preferred network type selection screen with this command:
Code:
adb logcat -s CallFeaturesSetting,FiveGManager,FiveGUtils,FiveGDataOptimize,FiveGCloudController,SingleFiveGController,PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference,QtiRadioIndication,WifiScoringParams

Hi Igor, thank you for taking a look at this issue.

Here is the log requested:

Code:
01-17 13:37:51.230  3035  3035 D PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: phoneType = 1
01-17 13:37:51.292  3035  3035 I PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: get preferred network type: 32, isFiveGNetworkModeSelected: true
01-17 13:37:51.292  3035  3035 I PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: checkRadioPreference key: 32, forceChecked: false, mLteNetworkType: 20, is4GNetworkMode: false, is5GNetworkMode: true, isFiveGNetworkModeSelected: true

Please let me know if you need any additional info.

Hi Igor, thank you for taking a look at this issue.

Here is the log requested:

Code:
01-17 13:37:51.230  3035  3035 D PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: phoneType = 1
01-17 13:37:51.292  3035  3035 I PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: get preferred network type: 32, isFiveGNetworkModeSelected: true
01-17 13:37:51.292  3035  3035 I PreferredNetworkTypeListPreference: checkRadioPreference key: 32, forceChecked: false, mLteNetworkType: 20, is4GNetworkMode: false, is5GNetworkMode: true, isFiveGNetworkModeSelected: true

Please let me know if you need any additional info.
According to this, it looks fine. I'm not sure what the issue could be.

If it works the same way for MI 10 umi, can you please tell me if it is possible to Global/EEA modem configurations? Because Volte isn't working anymore since few weekly. Vowifi never worked. I don't care dual SIM for the moment. Thx

Do I just need to flash modem.img from EEA rom?

If it works the same way for MI 10 umi, can you please tell me if it is possible to Global/EEA modem configurations? Because Volte isn't working anymore since few weekly. Vowifi never worked. I don't care dual SIM for the moment. Thx

Do I just need to flash modem.img from EEA rom?
No. modem.img is not the issue. A property has to be set in vendor/build.prop: ro.miui.build.region=eea.
However, if you do that, expect a lot of problems. EEA region has certain behaviors not implemented in the China ROM, and it may cause more issues than it's worth.
You can, however, try this little hack: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/20-12-9-10.58809/post-577613

• Love
Reactions: sxHeavy
No. modem.img is not the issue. A property has to be set in vendor/build.prop: ro.miui.build.region=eea.
However, if you do that, expect a lot of problems. EEA region has certain behaviors not implemented in the China ROM, and it may cause more issues than it's worth.
You can, however, try this little hack: https://xiaomi.eu/community/threads/20-12-9-10.58809/post-577613
So here's the feedback : tried it on MI 10 umi at workplace where my carrier signal is at his best (4g+ max signal) : menu is here and I did like video but it doesn't bring Volte

(also tried on MI 8 Android 10 but no CDMA cap manager)

can anyone confirm that 5G is working on the weekly build? If so, I might give it a try.